Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2014, 03:47 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
160 180.. same thing... it is still not 1/250 wich is the Canikons standard... and once again.. who said something about professional systems ( if by professional you mean strobe lights) ?? im saying that pentax native flash system is at this time really limited if we compare it with recent SPEEDLIGHT systems.. THATS ALL! ... i dont see where the "i am not sure you understand a professional system" fits all this... actually strobe lights have nothing to do with this..

Amazon.com or Adorama or BH are closer to where i am but thanks for the link

11-06-2014, 04:59 AM   #92
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
who said something about professional systems

Then who are you talking about?

*You* said 'complex lighting' in Post 80.

If you mean a hobbyist, a Canon or Nikon user would be nuts not to buy two or three Yongnuo speedlights and a controller, saving hundreds of dollars!

Who do you think is buying all those Cactuses and Pocket Wizards?

Proprietary flash systems are not as attractive as they were years ago.

If we want Pentax to steal a modern technology from Canikon, it'd be autofocus!

Last edited by clackers; 11-06-2014 at 05:18 AM.
11-06-2014, 05:25 AM - 2 Likes   #93
Site Supporter

Careful clackers. It's easy to be trampled in this most recent episode of "The March of the Trolls"
11-06-2014, 05:37 AM   #94
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
That's not the way a complex setup works, Kooks.

All you need is a trigger on your body's hotshoe. Pentax, Nikon and Canon use the same one, Sony you have to get an adapter.

That sets off your various speedlights and other adapters with PC cables to strobes, etc.

A studio doesn't want their equipment tied to a particular camera brand, and it's cheaper if they don't, and more capable than the inbuilt proprietary systems.

You can happily shoot 35mm film with a pro lighting setup.
Pentax, Nikon and Canon use the same one, Sony you have to get an adapter.
Actually the hot shoe on A6000 and later emount Sonys abandoned the Minolta format and is now standard.

11-06-2014, 05:46 AM   #95
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Actually the hot shoe on A6000 and later emount Sonys abandoned the Minolta format and is now standard.

Glad to see common sense prevailing, Mike, whatever Minolta might have thought of its advantage!
11-06-2014, 05:55 AM   #96
Loyal Site Supporter

The funny thing is many people were unhappy with the change. Mainly those who were heavily invested in the old hotshoe. The new one has many options although most have not been implemented in accessories yet.
11-06-2014, 06:00 AM   #97
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
The funny thing is many people were unhappy with the change. Mainly those who were heavily invested in the old hotshoe. The new one has many options although most have not been implemented in accessories yet.

Yeah, I've got a third party flash for the NEX-7, just an eBay cheapie, fortunately.

One thing I like about the teeny built-in flash is that you can swivel it back and kind of bounce it.
11-06-2014, 07:13 AM   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
A couple of days ago, someone along this same thread, tried to "clarify" to some of us, that is perfectly normal to like two different systems based on the good things offered by both.

Even though I believed this was not the case in this thread, I just decided to steer clear and move aside, in order to cool down for a while in this matter, truly believing the best course of action, is to avoid feeding this troll.

But after reading osv's post (quoted here), I feel compelled to declare that I still have a sense of true disbelief about this person's state of mind, and beginning to believe his intentions are far from honest, by continually emphasizing Pentax's miserable quality and at the same time, breathing through Sony's a**hole like if it was the last drop of water in the dessert.

Worst thing about this is precisely where it is happening: right here, at the Pentax Forum!!! If this was going on at the "SonyForum"it would be more than normal and sometimes hilarious. But you do not "crap where you eat" (unless you are being payed for!) What would you think of someone that tells you that this restaurant's food is all crap, will make you sick and its not worth feeding your dog with it, but when you ask him: well, then tell me where do you eat? Right here!!! because I love a couple of dishes from the menu....

If this single post is not about "desperately" bashing against Pentax and worshipping Sony as the ultimate divine God's gift to every single frustrated photographer on Earth, then I don't know what this is.

Unless of course, this is a matter of mental health issues or more likely, an intentional behavior promoted (payed by) a desperate sponsor...

In the meantime, I rest my case, go back to my choirs, enjoy my Pentax gear, anxiously hope for the rainy season to go away... and for the first time in my life, click on the "ignore" button on ghis or any other forum or chat room since the beginning of the www.
OSV is going overboard with stuff, but I still don't see what is so wrong with owning two different camera systems. Pentax is good at stuff and Sony is good at stuff and that is why I own both. I love the A7 but its obvious that its not quite there yet, the AF is snappy enough for me but I think the EVF has some room to grow before I trust it as much as I do the OVFs on my Pentax cameras. I think its way easier to manual focus on a ovf...I just look through it and focus, don't have to rely on focus peaking or magnification. The lens selection is not there at all and I'm really missing the 85mm focal length. But I will admit the Sony wins in the size department and when I want to go shoot for fun or do some street photography I'm more likely to grab it. If I'm off to do a photoshoot I'm grabbing my trusty Pentax DSLR because it's reliable and I feel the most comfortable with it and I know the results I will get will be fantastic.

Just to think that I used to own Nikon and Minolta film equipment along side my Pentax stuff...and they were also fantastic.....I must be a terrible pentaxian....lol.

11-06-2014, 07:21 AM   #99
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GateCityRadio Quote
OSV is going overboard with stuff, but I still don't see what is so wrong with owning two different camera systems. Pentax is good at stuff and Sony is good at stuff and that is why I own both. I love the A7 but its obvious that its not quite there yet, the AF is snappy enough for me but I think the EVF has some room to grow before I trust it as much as I do the OVFs on my Pentax cameras. I think its way easier to manual focus on a ovf...I just look through it and focus, don't have to rely on focus peaking or magnification. The lens selection is not there at all and I'm really missing the 85mm focal length. But I will admit the Sony wins in the size department and when I want to go shoot for fun or do some street photography I'm more likely to grab it. If I'm off to do a photoshoot I'm grabbing my trusty Pentax DSLR because it's reliable and I feel the most comfortable with it and I know the results I will get will be fantastic.

Just to think that I used to own Nikon and Minolta film equipment along side my Pentax stuff...and they were also fantastic.....I must be a terrible pentaxian....lol.
As long as you go to Pentax church on Sunday, we don't mind you dabbling in the dark side the rest of the week.
11-06-2014, 07:28 AM   #100
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
As long as you go to Pentax church on Sunday, we don't mind you dabbling in the dark side the rest of the week.
I pray to the Pentax Gods on a regular basis, hopefully they will forgive me for my sins lol.
11-06-2014, 07:54 AM   #101
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
it sounds like you've never done a serious evaluation of a good evf... mirrorless cameras are so cheap to manufacture that pentax will have to start doing it sooner or later.

if you decide to move up from the k20d or whatever you have now, evf might be your only choice.
I also shoot with Pentax and Minolta film cameras, will you make me upgrade from those as well? Well, at this point I don't want to.

I don't care what you think, if you think I'm wrong or misguided, that is your problem, not mine. I like an OVF, I've looked at EVFs and don't find the appeal when an OVF gives me what I want and feels more natural. I also shoot film cameras. I'm not like people who need to have the hot new thing in order to feel relevant.

So, roll on the floor and laugh at the fact that I shoot film and like OVFs. I'll keep looking into the nice, bright, big Pentax OVFs of yesteryears and be happy and not care what you think. I like taking pictures, not being addicted to technology.
11-06-2014, 08:30 AM   #102
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by atiratha Quote
After about a billion threads about people leaving Pentax because of lack of innovation, lack of fullframe, etc. I'd like to add my voice and opinion to the other side. I'm staying with Pentax and this is why. As of now, I have a Pentax K-5, Tamron 17-50, DA 21, DA 70, F50/1.4 and about a billion legacy K-mount and M42 lenses including the K50/1.2 and Pancolar 80/1.8. Previously, I owned the K20D and the K-5 was a major step up in image quality. True, the AF still lags behind competition and the body is starting to show signs of wear a little but still works perfectly.

What I would like: The tinkerer in me loves the ability of the mirrorless cameras to mount all manners of legacy lenses. I would really like to step up to full frame to use the glass as it was intended and for the generally better feeling of dimensionality. A better dynamic range and perhaps ISO performance is always nice but is sufficient as it is. If I were to upgrade, the image quality needs a visible bump and I would not like to compromise on the great Pentax ergonomy. Also, a good viewfinder is a must and if it is EVF, so be it, I think it could be better for manual focusing for me.

It would seem the new Sony offerings of A7 range would fit the bill, but alas - vignetting and color shifting in the corners for the A7R with wider angle rangefinder glass, lower resolution of the A7S, and the A7 whose color shift is lower, also doesn't offer substantially better image quality over the K-5, I think. (correct me if I'm wrong). Add to it the lossy raw compression and abysmal baterry life, and to my sadness, this is probably not the contender for my next body.

Fuji seems absolutely awesome, if it wasn't for the price. And I do not think it is justifiable to go from one APS-C to another.

Canon Fullframe offerings are nice these days but it seems to me, their sensor technology is lagging and a lot of M42 lenses hit the mirror with the back element.

Nikon probably has the most advanced FF tech out there, but sadly, the F-mount is not too legacy glass friendly.

And Pentax K-3? Never had the hots for it, just seems too similar to K-5 and the high iso seems to be even a little worse. If Pentax were to produce something akin to Sony A7 with lossless raw or even a decent well priced FF DSLR or even a substantially improved APS-C DSLR, I'd go for it

So, correct me if I'm wrong, there is not a viable upgrade option now. So, having moved to Malaysia, maybe I'll just buy the FA 77 (didn't really fall in love with DA 70, keep using Pancolar 80 more) and be done with it.

In order not to seem like just a gearhead, you can check my pictures at my website
I left Cannon for the same thing(except the FF) lack of innovation same old tired features that were copied from other manufacturers years after they first came out. Huge expensive lenses and cameras. I'm very happy with Pentax for now. Don't really miss the Full Frame because I get the same 3D looking shots with my K5 IIs.
11-06-2014, 08:58 AM   #103
Pentaxian

Then who are you talking about?

*You* said 'complex lighting' in Post 80.

If you mean a hobbyist, a Canon or Nikon user would be nuts not to buy two or three Yongnuo speedlights and a controller, saving hundreds of dollars!

Who do you think is buying all those Cactuses and Pocket Wizards?

Proprietary flash systems are not as attractive as they were years ago.

If we want Pentax to steal a modern technology from Canikon, it'd be autofocus!
If you think that users can only achieve complex light setups with strobes its a really poor thinking cuz perhaps the main difference from a strobe and a speedlight is the power light output.... besides that both do the same thing, in fact strobes make it much more harder for the lack of remote controlers ( unless you get a Prophoto $2000 strobe light ofcourse )

Just to be at the same page, to me a complex setup means to use multiple flashes at different positions using different setups in order to achive an specific light effect on the subject, and this doesnt matter if is with a strobe or with a speedlight.

Cuz basically what you are saying is that our flash system is perfect the way it is..... and im not saying that we CANT work it them, just im saying that the features that are offering are not as good as others, and that will be good idea to catchup..

Last edited by kooks; 11-06-2014 at 09:07 AM.
11-06-2014, 09:15 AM   #104
Site Supporter

I know my two cents adds little to the value of this thread....

I certainly don't have the technical or photographic knowledge of others here, nor do I have much of a basis for comparing Pentax to other brands since I've never owned one. But among the things I really like about being a Pentax user are:

- very good cameras at a reasonable price. The photo quality I've seen on this site is often amazing!
- weather resistance and durability, even at entry level price points
- numerous excellent quality lenses, particularly in the high end (the *'s, the Limiteds)
- an unbelievable lèvel of backward compatibility...I can pretty easily use a Takumar on my K-5, which in turn means,
- access to a thirty year inventory of lenses, many of them classic
- access to some excellent 3rd party lenses, though admittedly that's becoming more difficult to count on
- belonging to a group of several thousand passionate, active fellow Pentaxians that I continue to learn from
- and I like the elegant practicality and unpretentious quality that lead me to favor Mac to Windows and Subaru over Lexus (actually, I would like to have a Lexus.

I'm standing pat for all these reasons and because I've got a pretty big sunken investment in Pentax and Pentax-compatible glass. Like many here, I am anticipating a competitively priced full frame camera from Ricoh/Pentax in the hopefully not distant future. When it arrives, almost all the lenses that I own will continue to work and some of them may well perform even better than they do on my K-5 today.
11-06-2014, 09:25 AM   #105
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GateCityRadio Quote

No problem in being a multi-system, there's many people here who do that. The problem is when people like osv engage in trollish behavior, and others can't help but respond.

It seems like lately there have been new-ish users coming aboard to stir up an EVF-vs-OVF debate, with them bashing OVF and those who favor it. There's seldom anything productive about such dialogue.

You may or may not be a "terrible pentaxian," but you sound like a good camera user.