Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2014, 03:16 AM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
evfs are not perfect.
For me the biggest drawback of the evf is energy consumption. Many mirrorless cameras can make only 200 or 300 images. So the optical viewfinder still rocks and Pentax has good ones even in chaeper cameras.

11-08-2014, 03:26 AM   #122
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Piotrek K Quote
For me the biggest drawback of the evf is energy consumption. Many mirrorless cameras can make only 200 or 300 images. So the optical viewfinder still rocks and Pentax has good ones even in chaeper cameras.
Photography is always pushed with a series of compromises. Battery life is just one, but with a couple of spare - even third party batteries, this is a very solvable problem.

11-08-2014, 03:32 AM   #123
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Photography is always pushed with a series of compromises.

True, but for me, good optical viewfinder is not a compromise in any way
11-08-2014, 03:42 AM   #124
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
my k10d has a decent ovf, but no ovf is wysiwyg, because it can't show you what the photo is going to look like, in terms of exposure and such... i think that it's "setting effect ON" in the a7x menu, for wysiwyg evf display.

focus peaking works off of the jpeg engine, so when you do things like sharpen the in-camera jpegs in the camera menu, or choose b&w jpeg, it'll affect focus peaking in the evf.

you can turn down the amount of focus peaking, which can be really helpful, because then it only shows up when the object is in focus... too much focus peaking makes it difficult to find perfect focus, but it works well when combined with the first stage of magnification.

i have the overexposure function in the evf turned off.

the a7x eyecup is bad, but you can stretch a nikon dk19(?) rubber eyecup over it, and also put a big canon eyecup on there, with minor filing on the canon piece... that helps in bright sunlight.
I understand why people like evfs. I just have never had issues with the sorts of things that evfs "solve." Getting your exposure right isn't that hard. I can't imagine what you would do if you shot film and had to figure out what your exposure was without your evf or, an lcd on the back.

I have struggled with eye strain when I use evfs for any length of time and since I don't particularly see any down side to an ovf, I am not clamoring for these to be installed on all new cameras. Unlike some.

11-08-2014, 06:43 AM   #125
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Piotrek K Quote
Yes, the battery drain is an issue. For me the main advantage of an EVF is for manual focusing a manual lens. Peaking and magnification without having to use the lcd makes focusing a manual lens easy. In fact, for the first time since I stopped using my old MX manual focusing felt natural and reliable with my A6000. Almost as fast or faster often than AF.
11-09-2014, 11:17 PM - 1 Like   #126
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
The thing is, I don't think OSV is trolling ... I think there's no limit to this guy's arrogance.

It's trolling *and* arrogance, CR - a great combination!

He's wearing a Sony T-shirt even if he doesn't understand their products.

The Sony president acknowledges the unsatisfactory lens lineup and autofocus performance at Photokina, but this guy's still waving the pom poms!

That SLT phase detection AF adaptor indeed!
11-10-2014, 03:54 AM   #127
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GateCityRadio Quote
I rarely use my K-mount lenses on my A7 for the reason of size. The Pentax lenses work best on a Pentax body, so even though I do have an adapter, it rarely sees any use. I don't think anyone who owns a mirrorless intends on doing serious work with an adapted lens. When I'm referring to the size difference it's with a native lens and also the weight difference.
Depends. For video work it's entirely feasible, you don't have AF anyway, and size isn't too much of an issue either cause you'll add other gear anyway.

I'm torn... I've yet to see an EVF that I really like as much as my optical viewfinder in the K-5 (let alone the one in the FM2), but I don't think OVFs have much of a future. Lag? Samsung has pretty much eliminated that, it will be very interesting to see how good it is (the numbers are really impressive at least). Resolution will only improve. Battery life... keep in mind that most cameras with EVF are rather small, and thus have smaller batteries too. And the sensor needs to be on all the time. All these things don't help. But with a reasonably sized battery it might not be too bad (especially compared to using live view on a regular DSLR via LCD screen. Then the advantages with being able to preview exactly what you're going to get, and being able to get histograms etc., review the photo without taking the camera away (I have deactivated the LCD monitor, so I sometimes end up with very badly exposed photos, but I hate taking the camera from the eye), being able to zoom in when manually focusing, being able to stabilize the camera with the face while shooting a video (and being able to see at bright daylight!), ...

The advantages are plenty (though OVFs clearly have some advantages too), if the technology is implemented right.
11-10-2014, 11:16 AM   #128
Pentaxian

This thread, sadly, turned into "why you guys need to leave Pentax", from a Pentax basher, and the merits of the EVF. I don't like EVFs, that's one reason I stay with Pentax.

11-10-2014, 01:48 PM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
This thread, sadly, turned into "why you guys need to leave Pentax", from a Pentax basher, and the merits of the EVF. I don't like EVFs, that's one reason I stay with Pentax.
Since I have the "unmentionable" Pentax basher in my ignore list, I can't say if his attitude and animosity against Pentax has been going on, but from this post, I presume it does.

Just last night, I browsed through this thread in the forum: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/179869-da-1...at-can-do.html from which I have to add one more reason to stay with Pentax, from my initial list of reasons at post # 10 of this same thread, where I said:

I will contribute with "my" reasons for staying with Pentax.

1- Pentax has always given me thousands of hours of good quality time spent on my hobby.
2- In almost 40 years, I have never had a single Pentax camera, lens ot accessory that needed repair. Only once in 40 years I had to go back to the camera store to replace a new FA 28-200 (the rebadged Tamron, remember?) because the autofocus went haywire with my PZ1P and MZ5n. Instantly replaced for another one that never failed.
3- Because in 40 years I have never felt betrayed or abandoned as some of my Canikon friends felt when either changed lens mounts or otherwise prevented the use of legacy glass on their newer bodies.
4-Because I've become so familiar with the Pentax hardware layout, functions and operation from one camera/lens to another, that I'm not comfortable handling any other brand.
5- Last but not less important, because I do not have the time, the cash or the wish to go back in time and pretend to rewrite a perfectly happy story.

Reason No. 6 would be: Because at my age, Pentax still has the capacity to dazzle me and fill my heart with enough anxiety, as a small kid waiting for Christmas morning, by just showing me a new toy I could be playing with!
11-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #130
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh Boy! I like your Number 6.