Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2014, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well one thing that have to be clear.. REALLY CLEAR.. after reading all this pages.. is that the next pentax camera have to be GOOD, extremely good in order to keep in business and growing; the K5ii/K5iis/K3 and even the K50 were the first step showing how good this brand can be, but we cant be blind and say that this is the BEST, perhaps none is the best.. each have their pros/cons .. We have our pros/cons... But each model, have to be better than the other, better that the cometitors, and learn from them, watch the market, and specially ask.. Why are the other people buying other brands and not Pentax? .. is the glass? the sensors? the video? the ISO?.. why???? when Pentax realize where are their cracks and fix the faults, this brand is going to start taking a big share of the market...

I love my K3, and i think that for the pics that i do, are OK, not perfect, perhaps not really as i want them ( specially in low light because of APS-C disadvantages ) but they are OK. So, if i ask myself, is Pentax at this time fitting my needs?? Yes it is.. Could be better?? YES ..

But lets get real... Pentax flash system sucks, and we all know that, until a few months ago we werent able to use groups with our flashes and it was by a third party company that we can do it now, not because of Pentax... Flash max sync at only 1/160 ??? ..come on.. Canikons are doing 1/250 why cant we do it at least like them?? .. We need real thetering, the Flucard is fine.. but is not the best, and is limited, a lot.. why we dont have Tethering?? Why we cant use our cameras hooked up with Lightroom for example?... K3 AF is really nice, but it is still a little behind some competitors ( speed ).... We have some good FF lenses but we dont have FF sensor to really use them...

Perhaps not all photography styles needs High ISO, perhaps dont need Tethering, or shalow backgrounds.. but for some people this matters a lot.. all the FF people thinks this is important if not why they use FF and not APS-C??, and Pentax is losing all this market... and even worst, is losing Pentax users that gets to a point where the top camera ( for example K3 ), is not fitting their needs, so they move to cameras that offer FF as the next step and forget about Pentax.. If somebody leaves the K5ii/K5iis/K3 system i dont think that they are going it to use a D7100 or another APC-S .. NO.. they are doing it because they want to use a FF and Pentax still doesnt have one.

So as i said, when ever pentax realize all this cracks, all this NEEDS, this brand is going to be the best.. they are doing now some incredible things, but in order to take a share of the market the brand have to show that is BETTER than the others .. not equal, but BETTER... i really have faith that the next body that pentax releases will let us all with an open mouth for a while... or at least thats what i hope...

Last edited by kooks; 11-05-2014 at 09:11 PM.
11-05-2014, 08:56 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
But lets get real... Pentax flash system sucks, and we all know that, until a few months ago we werent able to use groups with our flashes and it was by a third party company that we can do it now, not because of Pentax... Flash max sync at only 1/160 ??? ..come on.. Canikons are doing 1/250 why cant we do it at least like them?? .. .
While I agree that Pentax PTTL is a little weak, but I don't think it sucks..... also I don't find the max sync speed limited my ability to shoot what I need. Flash photography is a very complex subject matter where one needs to find the right balance between flash and ambient light. To say that it sucks implies that you are assuming the system is smart enough to figure out in auto mode what is right for you which is highly impossible.
11-05-2014, 09:08 PM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
While I agree that Pentax PTTL is a little weak, but I don't think it sucks..... also I don't find the max sync speed limited my ability to shoot what I need. Flash photography is a very complex subject matter where one needs to find the right balance between flash and ambient light. To say that it sucks implies that you are assuming the system is smart enough to figure out in auto mode what is right for you which is highly impossible.
Well perhaps "sucks" is a hard word.. but let say that.. is not as good in features as the competitors.. that details.. that little/big details are the ones that make people choose other systems, and thats the details that Pentax have to pay attention in order to grow..
11-05-2014, 09:37 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well perhaps "sucks" is a hard word.. but let say that.. is not as good in features as the competitors.. that details.. that little/big details are the ones that make people choose other systems, and thats the details that Pentax have to pay attention in order to grow..
In general, when people say Pentax flash sucks they are usually those (probably not you) who are not familiar with flash photography at all; because they think flash photography is god given... I once attended in a trade show when a Nikon sales guy doing a flash shot demo, I think it really sucks too. I agree that Pentax flash system could use some upgrade and improvement to make it easy to setup in complex lighting situations; but you still have to know what you are doing.

11-06-2014, 12:54 AM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
In general, when people say Pentax flash sucks they are usually those (probably not you) who are not familiar with flash photography at all; because they think flash photography is god given... I once attended in a trade show when a Nikon sales guy doing a flash shot demo, I think it really sucks too. I agree that Pentax flash system could use some upgrade and improvement to make it easy to setup in complex lighting situations; but you still have to know what you are doing.
U r totally right.. but for example, for a guy that needs complex lighting the actual Pentax flash system as it is ( without third party hardware ) is not as flexible as the competitors.. and this counts,when we want to bring pro shooters, pro studio, portrait, events shooters all this counts.. I dont think that a flash system will count for a guy that shoots landscapes, or wild animals.. but for other people, artificial light ( flashes ) is one of the most important things.. you cant imagine how glad i was when Cactus announce that they released the V6 that could control flash power remotely.. and that also it can control flash zoom if the controller is used with their own flash.. Just another little example that makes some difference but as i said that details important to some people... For example, and perhaps some aroudn here had experienced this, when you use Pentax 360FGZ mk1, if you put the flash in manual mode and use it remotely, if you dont shoot in a period of time ( less than a minute ) the flash goes to sleep, and there is no other way to wake it up than to go fisically and turn it back on ( sometimes loosing the settings ).. and the worst part, there is no way to disable this in the menu.. 540 can.. but 360 can not... With the introduction of Cactus V6 because it works at PTTL the flash doesnt go to sleep as fast, and if the flash goes to "sleep" as long as the V6 receiver is ON you can wake it up remotely... as i said, little details that makes some difference from one system to another...

I will love to see more studio, portrait, commercial shooters using Pentax... but as long as we dont fix bugs, we are going to be a step behind the competitors and with a world changing so fast in technology the brand cant take that risk..
11-06-2014, 01:23 AM   #81
Pentaxian

Well one thing that have to be clear.. REALLY CLEAR.. after reading all this pages.. is that the next pentax camera have to be GOOD, extremely good in order to keep in business and growing; the K5ii/K5iis/K3 and even the K50 were the first step showing how good this brand can be, but we cant be blind and say that this is the BEST, perhaps none is the best.. each have their pros/cons .. We have our pros/cons... But each model, have to be better than the other, better that the cometitors, and learn from them, watch the market, and specially ask.. Why are the other people buying other brands and not Pentax? .. is the glass? the sensors? the video? the ISO?.. why???? when Pentax realize where are their cracks and fix the faults, this brand is going to start taking a big share of the market...

This is too dramatic of a view; I don't think anything significant would happen regardless of what RP releases in the coming year. We've been there before, we know the drill; next year is the year of Linux on desktop and FF on Pentax.

In my, financially conservative view, FF is a gamble. Sensor tech is more or less flatlining since 2010. I wouldn't go in unless there is substantial difference to current offerings, and that would require a new sensor. 7% of perceived difference is not enough.

Besides, they have stuff to play with until that sensor comes; flash system, lenses, integration of gps and wifi (that's one I really don't want, but heck, everyone else does!).
11-06-2014, 01:27 AM   #82
Veteran Member

It's sad how this thread went down the drain so fast.

Why, when Sony released the A7, my cameras were still working!

If Pentax decides not to release an FF tomorrow, next week, next month, or next year, chances are, my Pentax cameras would still be working by then.

If one wants to glorify Sony to high heavens, why not go to the Sony forum? Go and preach to the choir.

I am a member of different fora: Apple, Honda, Mazda, Watchuseek among others. One thing unique about pentaxforums is that respected (and respectable) members here seem to be really well grounded, not simply "fanboys" and generally, are respectful, if not tolerant to criticisms or opposing views.

The last time I've checked this is still pentaxforums.

11-06-2014, 02:01 AM   #83
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
i didn't "go over" to anything, i still use a lot of pentax glass.

16-35, 24-70, 28-70 and 70-200 zooms all have image stabilization, if you need that crutch..

Don't get me started! You pay $1500 for a lens, to find that you gained one stop by going Full Frame, and then lose one by only being f4! That's not money well spent!

Most of the primes - especially the ones with Carl Zeiss' name attached to them - are not image stabilised, and *none* of your Pentax collection will be on Sony.

[Phase detection] sounds like you haven't looked at the sony crop sensor cameras.

The top of the line A7R and as it was then NEX 7 doesn't have it !

The A5000 certainly doesn't.

The A7 and the NEX 6 only support some lenses - a couple of years ago, it was *four*.

have you looked at the a7s autofocus? .

Again, you're showing your ignorance. It is contrast detection only!

wrt manual focusing, nothing that pentax offers begins to compare, because it's all obsolete ovf..

Live view, magnification, focus peaking??? What else do you want?

proven to be totally unsubstantiated in real world use... you see if you can find anything to the contrary..

There is no free lunch ... LensRentals.com - There Is No Free Lunch, Episode 763: Lens Adapters

the advantage with us is that we aren't platform bigots.

I have some news for you.

I also shoot with a NEX 3 and a NEX 7. In addition to some rubbish native Sony glass I use K-mount lenses both with a cheap Chinese adapter and a very good German Novoflex one with aperture ring.

It's your lack of facts, not your Sony platform cheerleading that have had members like Nicolas, Drypenn, Rburgoss, Christian Rock et al shaking their heads in disbelief.

You can't blame them. [thumbdown]

Last edited by clackers; 11-06-2014 at 02:30 AM.
11-06-2014, 02:11 AM   #84
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

U r totally right.. but for example, for a guy that needs complex lighting the actual Pentax flash system as it is

That's not the way a complex setup works, Kooks.

All you need is a trigger on your body's hotshoe. Pentax, Nikon and Canon use the same one, Sony you have to get an adapter.

That sets off your various speedlights and other adapters with PC cables to strobes, etc.

A studio doesn't want their equipment tied to a particular camera brand, and it's cheaper if they don't, and more capable than the inbuilt proprietary systems.

You can happily shoot 35mm film with a pro lighting setup.

Last edited by clackers; 11-06-2014 at 02:44 AM.
11-06-2014, 02:37 AM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
This is too dramatic of a view; I don't think anything significant would happen regardless of what RP releases in the coming year..
Perhaps it is true.. nothing significant would happen.. but the thing is that if that doesnt happen, if the brand doesnt come with something "new" and interestint to high end DSLR user ( not really talking about entry level cameras ).. more and more people will start migrating... Perhaps is the lack of marketing cuz Pentax products are great, nobody can say the contrary. BUT, we need something to stand up and make a diference.. i really think that a FF will make this change and another high end APS-C to compete with the upcoming advance APS-C.. Nikon is already working on D7200.. so i bet Ricoh is already thinking about the K3ii ( or something like that )...

In some other threat I commented something that most pro (events, fashion, protraits, etc) use FF and thats the reason why we dont have that many pros using Pentax.. and ofcourse, almost everything that a FF do a APC-S can do it, BUT not as easy.. i think that the main advantage of FF sensors is light, besides that, APS-S can do the samething, but when light matters ( in low light situations ) a FF can make a difference.. I really doubt that at the last FIFA World Cup there was a pro photographer shooting Pentax ( correct me someone if im wrong ), and this counts to bring clients, Why? because every single kid, teenager that likes photography wants to be like the people that they see shooting at the TV, or at magazines, at stadiums, etc ... thats just the way it is with everything, cars, cloth, shoes, and ofcourse cameras..

My point is that Ricoh should ask themself.. Why many people prefer other systems than Pentax?? .. because this is as simple as if i have a restaurant that sels hamburgers, and there is an other restaurant the have burgers too, and i have 4 clients per day, and the other one have 30... What am i doint wrong, or what im missing that clients are going somewhere else?? so after i know what im missing i cant start improving my product.. as i said.. marketing, sponsoring, tethering, flash features, AF speed ( just a little tweak cuz is getting preatty good ), and ofcourse.. a FF body that perhaps not everybody will buy, but at least there is the option to do it without having to change brands.

I love this brand, and i standup everytime i can to point how good it is, and recomend it as long as i can.. but we also gotta realise that is not perfect, and that this can improve and become one of the main competitors going ALWAYS head to head with Canikons...

---------- Post added 11-06-14 at 03:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
That's not the way a complex setup works, Kooks.

All you need is a trigger on your body's hotshoe. Pentax, Nikon and Canon use the same one, Sony you have to get an adapter.
With pentax actual flashes/system you can not control groups, or remote PTTL using radio triggers, or go higher than 1/160 without going into HSS wich needs a PTTL flash, also you cant control power, neither flash zoom.. neither have a multi flash feature....

With the introduction of the Cactus V6 some of this faults were fixed.. but not because thanks to Pentax..

Is not just to trigger the flash.. is to control the flash..

Last edited by kooks; 11-06-2014 at 02:48 AM.
11-06-2014, 02:49 AM   #86
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

With pentax actual flashes/system you can not control groups, or remote PTTL using radio triggers, or go higher than 1/160, you cant control power, neither flash zoom.. neither have a multi flash feature....

With the introduction of the Cactus V6 some of this faults were fixed.. but not because thanks to Pentax..

Is not just to trigger the flash.. is to control the flash..

Read the rest of my post.

Whether you shoot Canon or Olympus, these days the best way to do it is as trigger only, for a real radio system.

Last edited by clackers; 11-06-2014 at 03:18 AM.
11-06-2014, 03:00 AM   #87
Veteran Member

But im not talking about third party systems or strobes ( that are differnet than speedlights ), most of strobes are only tigger as you said, some more advanced can do some other features.. but if we talk about pentax speedlights we are some steps behind competitors.. and perhaps the flash system is not the most important ( actually is not important at all to some users ), but to other users it is, and those are the little details that could make a difference between buying a system or even leaving a system.
11-06-2014, 03:06 AM   #88
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

But im not talking about third party systems or strobes ( that are differnet than speedlights ), most of strobes are only tigger as you said,
That's right. Your Nikon Commander system is only talking to Nikon speedlights, not to real strobes, and if they're optical wireless instead of radio they have to have line of sight.

Let me ask you.

You find yourself in a professional studio with strobes, softboxes, reflectors, snoots, serious power supplies.

What can the person with the 5D do that you can't?
11-06-2014, 03:20 AM   #89
Veteran Member

Is not really what other cameras can do or not.. is what other systems can do.. for example as I said, control groups, power & zoom ( i think that canon can do this ), fire higher than 1/160.. if we go with other systems like Cactus RF60 perhaps using multi flash features..

This are just things that can be improve in the future, thats all, and that will be very atractive to a piece of the market, that might be thinking wich system to pick.

At this time i can do everything that other systems can do ( except radio TTL ), but once again, not because of the Pentax system, it is thanks to a third party brand that implemented some features that wasnt available at Pentax native flash system.
11-06-2014, 03:34 AM   #90
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Is not really what other cameras can do or not.. is what other systems can do.

I am not sure you understand a professional system, Kooks ... here is a lighting shop that you could do all your shopping at to make a complete home studio:

Image Melbourne Studio & camera gear - softboxes, muslin backdrops, stands, monoblock flashes, strobist brackets, continuous lighting, barn door, gel filter, honeycomb grids, umbrellas, brollyboxes, triggers, light tents, patterned & scenic backgroun

It is full of systems.

Where are they limited to one brand or another, or even digital vs film?

BTW, please turn on the eV steps option in your K-3 to get to 1/180 flash sync speed. It looks like you haven't changed it from 1/160.