Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2014, 07:48 PM - 4 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery
Why I'm staying with Pentax

After about a billion threads about people leaving Pentax because of lack of innovation, lack of fullframe, etc. I'd like to add my voice and opinion to the other side. I'm staying with Pentax and this is why. As of now, I have a Pentax K-5, Tamron 17-50, DA 21, DA 70, F50/1.4 and about a billion legacy K-mount and M42 lenses including the K50/1.2 and Pancolar 80/1.8. Previously, I owned the K20D and the K-5 was a major step up in image quality. True, the AF still lags behind competition and the body is starting to show signs of wear a little but still works perfectly.

What I would like: The tinkerer in me loves the ability of the mirrorless cameras to mount all manners of legacy lenses. I would really like to step up to full frame to use the glass as it was intended and for the generally better feeling of dimensionality. A better dynamic range and perhaps ISO performance is always nice but is sufficient as it is. If I were to upgrade, the image quality needs a visible bump and I would not like to compromise on the great Pentax ergonomy. Also, a good viewfinder is a must and if it is EVF, so be it, I think it could be better for manual focusing for me.

It would seem the new Sony offerings of A7 range would fit the bill, but alas - vignetting and color shifting in the corners for the A7R with wider angle rangefinder glass, lower resolution of the A7S, and the A7 whose color shift is lower, also doesn't offer substantially better image quality over the K-5, I think. (correct me if I'm wrong). Add to it the lossy raw compression and abysmal baterry life, and to my sadness, this is probably not the contender for my next body.

Fuji seems absolutely awesome, if it wasn't for the price. And I do not think it is justifiable to go from one APS-C to another.

Canon Fullframe offerings are nice these days but it seems to me, their sensor technology is lagging and a lot of M42 lenses hit the mirror with the back element.

Nikon probably has the most advanced FF tech out there, but sadly, the F-mount is not too legacy glass friendly.

And Pentax K-3? Never had the hots for it, just seems too similar to K-5 and the high iso seems to be even a little worse. If Pentax were to produce something akin to Sony A7 with lossless raw or even a decent well priced FF DSLR or even a substantially improved APS-C DSLR, I'd go for it

So, correct me if I'm wrong, there is not a viable upgrade option now. So, having moved to Malaysia, maybe I'll just buy the FA 77 (didn't really fall in love with DA 70, keep using Pancolar 80 more) and be done with it.

In order not to seem like just a gearhead, you can check my pictures at my website

Last edited by atiratha; 10-29-2014 at 07:56 PM.
10-29-2014, 08:16 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Great photo collections.... Very impressive...
10-29-2014, 08:45 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, I'm impressed by your macros!
10-30-2014, 03:11 AM   #4

Well, I'm in the same reflexion for now and like you I don't find a real clear option for switching. My actual problematic is to find an excellent UWA to replace the DA 12-24, that's why I look others sides.
In this reflexion I'm asking myself if it's not better to invest in lenses instead of bodies, whatever the brand, and use adapters ....
But I'll probably stay with my Pentax gear (K-5) for now ...

10-30-2014, 06:54 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by areku Quote
In this reflexion I'm asking myself if it's not better to invest in lenses instead of bodies, whatever the brand, and use adapters ....
I'm sure you've probably seen this...

LensRentals.com - There Is No Free Lunch, Episode 763: Lens Adapters
10-30-2014, 07:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Looked at your NUDES....and with the first one I don't you will be alowed to enter with the competition You are good at the place you are.
10-30-2014, 12:56 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The grass is always greener, isn't it?
I think the K3 was a major step and a warning to Canikon who seem to either be coasting or neglecting the APSC market. I don't view a stripped-down FF camera as a good competitor to a well-equipped APSC body. To get a big boost in performance I think you have to spend many thousands of dollars and get into the higher end cameras from the competition. To me, this isn't advantageous.

I'd like to see Pentax get more out of the new sensors, and concentrate on flash a bit more. I don't know if flash is really a big deal to me, but it seems like a lagging technology for them.
10-30-2014, 06:45 PM   #8

Original Poster
Oh, yes, it looks way greener elsewhere, especially looking at DxO ratings. But then you see real life examples, read the forums on various problems you could not suspect and cannot help but congratulate yourself on your purchase even way back. I'm actually considering the K-3 but I guess I need to upgrade my computer first seeing that the files will be bigger, so I might wait till the next top of the line offering.

10-30-2014, 07:57 PM   #9
osv
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by atiratha Quote
It would seem the new Sony offerings of A7 range would fit the bill, but alas - vignetting and color shifting in the corners for the A7R with wider angle rangefinder glass, lower resolution of the A7S, and the A7 whose color shift is lower, also doesn't offer substantially better image quality over the K-5, I think. (correct me if I'm wrong). Add to it the lossy raw compression and abysmal baterry life, and to my sadness, this is probably not the contender for my next body.
do you actually own any wide rangefinder glass?

the lossy compression is not a significant issue at all, and adapters work very well... just watch out for light leaks, you might have to put a hairband round it... a lot of dslrs also have light leaks.

you should go demo the a7r evf, spend some time with it, and you'll see that it's the best manual focus camera that's ever been made.

it doesn't sound like you have a compelling reason to replace what you have with any brand of new body, tho.
10-30-2014, 09:40 PM - 5 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

I will contribute with "my" reasons for staying with Pentax.

1- Pentax has always given me thousands of hours of good quality time spent on my hobby.
2- In almost 40 years, I have never had a single Pentax camera, lens ot accessory that needed repair. Only once in 40 years I had to go back to the camera store to replace a new FA 28-200 (the rebadged Tamron, remember?) because the autofocus went haywire with my PZ1P and MZ5n. Instantly replaced for another one that never failed.
3- Because in 40 years I have never felt betrayed or abandoned as some of my Canikon friends felt when either changed lens mounts or otherwise prevented the use of legacy glass on their newer bodies.
4-Because I've become so familiar with the Pentax hardware layout, functions and operation from one camera/lens to another, that I'm not comfortable handling any other brand.
5- Last but not less important, because I do not have the time, the cash or the wish to go back in time and pretend to rewrite a perfectly happy story.

10-31-2014, 01:00 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
do you actually own any wide rangefinder glass?

the lossy compression is not a significant issue at all, and adapters work very well... just watch out for light leaks, you might have to put a hairband round it... a lot of dslrs also have light leaks.

you should go demo the a7r evf, spend some time with it, and you'll see that it's the best manual focus camera that's ever been made.

it doesn't sound like you have a compelling reason to replace what you have with any brand of new body, tho.
I do have some rangefinder glass, but not much and not wa, just some Jupiters 8 and similar glass, but if I got the A7, I would expect to get a lot more for the smaller size of those lenses. As for the EVF, I had all three A7 types in my hands and tested the EVF and find it great. Don't get me wrong, I love the camera and it is probably the strongest contender to make me contemplate switching brands in long time but if I were to use it for manual glass and much glass would exhibit colour shifts in the corners, and I would get a 11bit raw instead of the 14 bit....then I wouldn't be able to justify spending money on the A7. I can actually get the A7 body in Malaysia for something like 1130 USD but maybe after some firmware upgrade or the next generation of A7
10-31-2014, 01:37 PM   #12
osv
Pentaxian

the goal is to get a camera that allows you to use wide rangefinder glass? wide rf glass is weak even on the rangefinder cameras that it was designed for... even so, there are a couple of expensive wide m-mount lenses that work on digital sensors like the a7r:
UPDATED: Ultra Wide Angle M-Mount Lenses THAT WORK On Sony A7R (Leica "WATE" Tri Elmar 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH and Voigtlander Ultron 21mm f/1.8 ASPH)

but look at the size of that ultron 21... it's an rf lens posing as a slr lens :-)

for several hundred $$ less, you could get the new nikon 20/1.8.

the a7r is way beyond anything that you've ever used before, and again, the raw file issue that you are fixated on simply isn't a factor: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

however, the way that you looking at all three of the a7x models indicates that you don't really have a need for any of them... people who have clear goals for the best p.q. know that the a7r/d810 will fit the bill, and that's not you.

if you had a real need for low-light performance, you'd be buying the a7s, and you'd know that was right for you, because it's the best there is on the market today.
10-31-2014, 01:51 PM   #13
Pentaxian

just curious.... what brings you to Malaysia?
11-01-2014, 09:30 AM   #14
Forum Member

I'm staying to brush my manual skills so I don't have a crippled finger on shutter when my lens AF fail
11-01-2014, 09:37 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I stay with Pentax because none of the other camera makers appeal to me in terms of ergonomics, quality, portability and versatility.