Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2014, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
So.... I'm going to be the newest K50 owner!

Our local camera shop, Idaho Camera, has a Pentax sale going on. K50s, for $300.00 after the $100.00 mail-in rebate! How can I refuse that deal? I just called and they have one set aside for me. This is going to be quite a step up from my K2000! I'm sure I'm going to have lots of questions. My first is: What is the difference in the sensors between the two? I've heard mentioned, "CCD," and "CMOS" sensors, but I don't have a clue what that means. Can someone please explain the difference to someone who is quite ignorant about such things? Like.... in terms of "1 apple + 1 apple = 2 apples"? Thanks.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA

Last edited by Dewman; 11-01-2014 at 06:14 PM.
10-30-2014, 09:47 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd wikipedia for the technical details - the technology behind each is interesting, as is the history.

Generally speaking, the old CCD sensors are valued for their "film-like" rendering of colors. The CMOS are more sensitive to light so have much higher ISO ability. You'll be able to shoot at ISO 6400 without blinking an eye, and not fear going higher knowing you may need to do a little noise reduction later.

You'll have fun, the new bodies have a lot more options. TAv will be your favorite mode, I predict.

Congrats on the deal, that's a helluva price.
10-30-2014, 12:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian

You will enjoy the K50......First things first... Do yourself a favor READ the manual, Then go through the manual and your menu settings. Read this!!! Review: Pentax K-50 - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews Next do yourself a favor and get a Lcd Screen protector. I have used the acmaxx ones for years.
10-30-2014, 01:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Congratulations! The K-50 is a huge step up in every sense.

Steve

10-30-2014, 08:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Holy Burst Mode, Batman! This K50 shoots pictures like a M60 spits out 7.62mm casings! The benefit from the increase in pixels, just from shooting photos in the living room with incandescent lighting is very apparent! Very nice. I'm gonna' like this thing a LOT! I was managing to get some pretty impressive detail from my little K2000 and it's 10.6 MP.... or at least I thought so.... but this is gonna' be a whole 'nother world!

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
10-31-2014, 01:57 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Congratulations, you made a great deal! Every time I read again some parts of the manual I discover another great function. Have fun!
10-31-2014, 01:59 AM   #7
Pentaxian

That is an AMAZING deal for an amazing camera! Congrats!
10-31-2014, 02:50 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congrats. It is a pretty sweet camera and I am sure will benefit from being in the hands of someone who will use it well.

10-31-2014, 10:12 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Holy Burst Mode, Batman!
I knew you were going to like it.

Steve
11-01-2014, 04:28 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I knew you were going to like it.

Steve
Im a complete nooby to this dslr thing. I surprised how much better my images are since I got my k50. Have fun.
11-01-2014, 06:11 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm already having fun! I went out this afternoon, wanting to capture some images that spoke to the rain and dampness with my new K-50. The images are better all the way around.... sharpness, color vibrance and saturation. Way cool!

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA

---------- Post added 11-01-14 at 07:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I'd wikipedia for the technical details - the technology behind each is interesting, as is the history.

Generally speaking, the old CCD sensors are valued for their "film-like" rendering of colors. The CMOS are more sensitive to light so have much higher ISO ability. You'll be able to shoot at ISO 6400 without blinking an eye, and not fear going higher knowing you may need to do a little noise reduction later.

You'll have fun, the new bodies have a lot more options. TAv will be your favorite mode, I predict.

Congrats on the deal, that's a helluva price.

I'm thinking you predicted right, TER-OR. I've come to like TAv a lot. I used to shoot "M" almost exclusively with my K2000, but I'm finding that I like the TAv a little more, me thinks. Such a sweet camera.... and still so much to learn about it!

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA

Last edited by Dewman; 12-16-2014 at 01:51 AM.
11-01-2014, 11:43 PM   #12
Forum Member

U never go wrong with k50
11-02-2014, 12:04 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Love the greens on your shots, Dewman. I love my K-50, as well. I see all of the great deal on the K-5iis, but it lacks the one feature I never thought I'd use -- focus peaking. My close-up vision is pretty bad these days, and I was missing focus on a lot of manual shots. Enter focus peaking, and now I nail it almost every time, and it's easier to choose what I want emphasis on. I also like the comfort of a grip (which the K-50 does not offer) so I made modified my own.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/272513-batterygrip-k...ml#post2946284
11-02-2014, 12:33 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by esrandall Quote
Love the greens on your shots, Dewman. I love my K-50, as well. I see all of the great deal on the K-5 iis, but it lacks the one feature I never thought I'd use -- focus peaking. My close-up vision is pretty bad these days, and I was missing focus on a lot of manual shots. Enter focus peaking, and now I nail it almost every time, and it's easier to choose what I want emphasis on. I also like the comfort of a grip (which the K-50 does not offer) so I made modified my own.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/272513-batterygrip-k...ml#post2946284

Yep, the K50 seems to render greens very well. I've noticed a remarkable color saturation and vibrance improvement over my K2000. I have yet to try the focus peaking, but, like you, my eyesight isn't too good, so I can.... and WILL.... use any help I can get! I'm thinking a split-image view finder might be in the near future. The grip on the K-50 is much more to my liking than the purchase on the K2000. I have large hands but my fingers aren't all that long, so the new camera's grip feels much better to me. I'm thinking seriously in investing in one of the pistol grip-type tripod mounts. They come in several different styles and price ranges. Surprisingly, one of the cheapest, the Sunpak, seems to be a pretty good deal. I don't want to put something that is less than equal to the new Promaster Classic Combi 25 tripod I bought last week, but at $25.00, the Sunpak isn't too much of a risk. Take a look at the brilliant colors in this shot from last night. Amazing!

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA

Last edited by Dewman; 12-16-2014 at 01:55 AM.
11-02-2014, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter

You know how it goes - it ain't the arrow, it's the indian. But a new bow surely can't hurt!

Congratulations!