Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2014, 07:09 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

How much better is K5iiS AF than the K5?

Hi folks,

The $599 K5iiS deal is really tempting me...my primary gripe with my K5 is the subpar AF, especially in low light. Is the iiS AF noticeably better than the K5? What does -3EV mean in practical terms?

10-31-2014, 07:39 AM   #2
Site Supporter

I find it's a little better, but not a huge difference (I've heard the K3 is a pretty big step up). The main thing I like about the K5IIs vs the K5 is the IQ. I find the removal of the AA filter really helped, and I've only seen moire in 1 photo (owned the K5IIs for more than a year).
10-31-2014, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Like you I also found the low light AF in my original K-5 lacking, actually it was what triggered the upgrade to IIs for me. I got so frustrated after the AF failed so many times in 2 pre dawn/after dark shoots one weekend I went out and bought a used K-5IIs the next day, and took it with my original K-5(owned for 3.5 years) to shoot a friend's wedding shortly after, in the dimly lit church and dance floor the IIs nailed focus almost every time, there were only a handful of missed shots which was probably user error anyway, the difference in locking focus was evident because I used them both in the same condition. After I review the shots I took at the wedding I sold the original K-5 and have no regret(apart from sentimental value perhaps). So yes, I'd say the improvement in low light is noticeably, at least according to my unscientific testing in real life situation(AKA wedding).
10-31-2014, 05:51 PM   #4
Pentaxian

During more than a year with my K-5, I was experiencing missed-focus shots, despite having calibrated the AF fine adjustment setting for all of my lenses. I did not keep a record of the 'failure' rate, but it was high enough to cause frustration. Maybe 10% of my shots were mis-focused, through no fault of my own, I thought. I was also having some trouble with accurate focus under tungsten lighting, although the problem was mitigated to a degree through firmware updates. I didn't notice serious problems in low-light in particular, although I am not generally a low-light shooter.

I upgraded to a K-5 II (not s). I have not experienced any problems with the K-5 II AF, or with focus confirmation when I use my manual lenses. I found AF accuracy to be markedly more consistent, the AF speed a bit faster, and overall, the AF to be more assured.

I didn't upgrade to a K-5 IIs because I had set an upper budget limit.

- Craig