Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Affirmative...

Steve
Thanks!

11-01-2014, 07:06 AM   #17
Veteran Member

K3 s a huge improvement from the k5....I am so glad I made the jump, especially if you shoot at night...in low light there is no comparson
11-01-2014, 07:25 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Who's dropping their K-3 and is there going to be a video on you tube? I have dropped other cameras, but not my K-3 yet. I want to see how it holds up.

Is there any chance it will be dropped into a rushing mountain stream with a WR lens on it. I kind of favour rushing mountains dreams for this kind of endeavour.

Or could it be dropped from the Space Station? I like space movies too.

OH wait, you mean, as in discontinued... I have mine, and it's not going to be discontinued for a very lone time. That K5IIs thing is an interesting point, I had an early K-5, skipped the K-5iis and went for the K-3. But really, after getting a K-3, I don't know what else they could sell me in a body. From now on it's all about low light performance, improved burst, faster processing, more dynamic range etc.

The dynamic range is the sensor, Pentax doesn't make those, the AF speed probably comes down to the lenses more than the camera, the 24 MP seems to be at it's crop limit. Pixel level noise is not as good as the K-5 series, making cropping problematic though usually solvable.

So, dual cards
Better AF
Faster burst..
More resolution...

I'll be really interested to see where Pentax goes next with their APS-c but I'm not seeing an obvious direction. Where as 24 MP and improved AF was pretty obvious.) I think it's going to be K-3 for a while. Especially if they add an FF to their "products to be upgraded" cycle.

Last edited by normhead; 11-01-2014 at 09:26 AM.
11-01-2014, 09:14 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Pentax makes a full selection of high quality aps-c lenses so it make sense for them to release a quality aps-c camera. Canon and Nikon have all their good glass in FF, so it makes sense to them to cripple the Aps-c line and force their customers into buying FF. Risky strategy IMO!
Interesting to see that Canon just released the 7D2, a high quality ASP-C. Bet Nikon won't be far behind with an updated D 300.

11-01-2014, 09:24 AM   #20
Forum Member

Drop or not I'm staying since it was a hobby and am interested only in interesting things like macro
11-01-2014, 09:48 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have dropped other cameras, but not my K-3 yet.
Ditto.
11-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Who's dropping their K-3 and is there going to be a video on you tube? I have dropped other cameras, but not my K-3 yet. I want to see how it holds up.
Kai will do the honors if you provide the camera.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-01-2014 at 11:01 AM.
11-02-2014, 02:11 AM   #23
Forum Member

Hahahah that funny Guy so rich he could buy anything to burn

11-02-2014, 12:34 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
I hope the way Pentax implements it is via a hard switch somewhere on the body. No matter the lens, you have the option to use it on a FF or an APS-C sensor as opposed to the camera automatically deciding "DA 35 F2.8 Limited - crop mode engaged" when you mount the camera. What if I want to play around and see how the DA 10-17 looks on FF (yes I know the vignetting will be strong and not cover the entire image circle - that's not the point).

For wide angle, say you are using the DA 12-24 (and it's a FF version that Pentax releases with the camera, so FA 12-24? ), and you say to yourself "This is too wide for a group portrait and I left the 35mm prime at home" flick --> "18-36mm at 10 mpx....perfect...."

For telephoto, say you are using the DA 560 - at the flick of a switch you have a 560mm tele at 24 mpx or an 840mm tele at 10.6mpx.

(assuming that's the proper resolution conversion).

Just my thoughts

-Heie

Of course that is how it should be. For creative reasons I might want to play with the vignetting effect. Maybe even an electronic blacking out of the viewfinder (some glasses allow this kind of control) so the VF image is the framing the camera is set for.

I am really satisfied with K3 but I have a complete set of FF lenses because I collected the antiques.
11-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Since Pentax just introduced a new APS-C lens this week, I think we can be safe in saying that they won't be dropping APS-C cameras anytime soon. Nikon and Canon aren't either and those cameras are still what pays the bills.
11-02-2014, 03:05 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
So, given that it is... Is there any indication that they have solved the ibis problem for the K-mount?
Is there a problem with the IBIS system for the K-mount?

I didn't know!!

I have dropped other cameras, but not my K-3 yet. I want to see how it holds up.
IIRC a K10D was once dropped from space !! (actually, more than once)

FLICKR site

Last edited by monochrome; 11-02-2014 at 03:26 PM.
11-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

I didn't know!!
Didn't you hear? The SR system sets up a resonance with all the megapickles on the FF sensor. They project a wave of low frequency EMR that creates an inductive feedback loop at the mouth of the K-mount resulting in destructive interference at the lens exit pupil. Nikon had a similar issue with both DX and FX lenses (triggered by the user's heavy breathing), but solved the problem by lining the mirror box with a mixture of pitch and gunite.

Steve
11-02-2014, 09:24 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

I didn't know!!
I had read somewhere on the forum a while back that implementing the standard Pentax ibis for a full-frame sensor might be problematic because the movement of the sensor that achieves the stabilization might take the edges of a full frame sensor out of the imaging circle... But Steve (earlier in the thread) says it ain't so, and I'm happy to take his word for it.

---------- Post added 11-02-14 at 08:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Didn't you hear? The SR system sets up a resonance with all the megapickles on the FF sensor. They project a wave of low frequency EMR that creates an inductive feedback loop at the mouth of the K-mount resulting in destructive interference at the lens exit pupil. Nikon had a similar issue with both DX and FX lenses (triggered by the user's heavy breathing), but solved the problem by lining the mirror box with a mixture of pitch and gunite.

Steve
It was my understanding that the problem with the FX lenses was not so much heavy breathing as halitosis. For the K-mount, I think that replacing the megapickles with sauerkraut will do the trick.
11-02-2014, 09:46 PM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
But Steve (earlier in the thread) says it ain't so, and I'm happy to take his word for it.

If the image circle were a concern, the issue would not be specific to K-mount or to FF. Some have thought that the required amplitude might be beyond what the SR system could supply, but Sony has had ISIS for its FF dSLRs for several years now.

Steve