Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-31-2014, 10:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K3 to be dropped?

First this not a discussion about FF...
Would the successor to the cropped sensor K3 be dropped when FF finally arrives?
I have the K5IIS and want to upgrade to the next cropped sensor version but am wondering if Pentax will make the K3xx a middle range camera instead of state of the art?
K3 is not big enough of a jump in my opinion from the K5IIS....
Not into changing all my lenses for FF..
Hope this makes sense

Any and all options welcomed!

Thanks

Randy

10-31-2014, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
K3 to be dropped?
Conventional clairvoyance suggests that any Pentax FF camera will support a crop-sensor mode similar to that used by Nikon. That same clairvoyance also suggests that Pentax will likely continue to make competent APS-C cameras as long as people are willing to buy them.

Steve
10-31-2014, 10:39 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Conventional clairvoyance suggests that any Pentax FF camera will support a crop-sensor mode similar to that used by Nikon. That same clairvoyance also suggests that Pentax will likely continue to make competent APS-C cameras as long as people are willing to buy them.

Steve
Indeed, I would hope that the successes of the K-5 series and the K-3 would teach Pentax that it can and should make decent mid-level to enthusiast-level APS-C DSLRs even if it does release a FF camera down the road.
10-31-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Steve
I hope the way Pentax implements it is via a hard switch somewhere on the body. No matter the lens, you have the option to use it on a FF or an APS-C sensor as opposed to the camera automatically deciding "DA 35 F2.8 Limited - crop mode engaged" when you mount the camera. What if I want to play around and see how the DA 10-17 looks on FF (yes I know the vignetting will be strong and not cover the entire image circle - that's not the point).

For wide angle, say you are using the DA 12-24 (and it's a FF version that Pentax releases with the camera, so FA 12-24? ), and you say to yourself "This is too wide for a group portrait and I left the 35mm prime at home" flick --> "18-36mm at 10 mpx....perfect...."

For telephoto, say you are using the DA 560 - at the flick of a switch you have a 560mm tele at 24 mpx or an 840mm tele at 10.6mpx.

(assuming that's the proper resolution conversion).

Just my thoughts

-Heie

10-31-2014, 11:43 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
I hope the way Pentax implements it is via a hard switch somewhere on the body...For telephoto, say you are using the DA 560 - at the flick of a switch you have a 560mm tele at 24 mpx or an 840mm tele at 10.6mpx...
A switch would be good or at least a control panel setting along with a menu item for DA auto detect enable/disable. Even if there were no crop mode, the user is always able to crop in PP to remove vignette.

Steve

(...crystal ball is complaining about noisy channel...)
10-31-2014, 12:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Steve
"Conventional clairvoyance", I love it!!

And I'd be very surprised if Ricoh stopped making the K3 and successors line of cameras after they start offering a full frame. At least I hope not.

10-31-2014, 12:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If they have a hard switch, I hope that the view finder shows the crop box....or automatically crops the view for use in APS-C mode

Thanks

Randy

10-31-2014, 12:16 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unconventional clairvoyance
If they have a hard switch, I hope that the view finder shows the crop box....or automatically crops the view for use in APS-C mode
The EVF overlay would show the actual cropped image.

--

did I just write that?
10-31-2014, 12:20 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

....or automatically crops the view for use in APS-C mode
Easy in Live View...not so easy with the optical viewfinder. IIRC, Nikon projects their optical viewfinder crop lines onto the focus screen when in crop mode. Unless Pentax is able to work around the Nikon patents, it is unlikely that dynamic crop lines will be a feature.

Steve

---------- Post added 10-31-14 at 12:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
did I just write that?
Apparently so...shame!

Steve
10-31-2014, 12:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is no point for stop making high end APS-C cameras even if they have a FF... why should they?? .. both are different markets.. not all enthusiastic photographers will spend the money that cost a FF sensor.. so why they should keep limiting the market that way?? ..

I like the idea of a switch to use cropped sensor lenses with a FF body, specially because most of the pentax users at this time will have a good amount of APS-C glass only... so is not really smart to limit the market that way.. if there is a new pentax FF body and im able to keep using my lenses ( crop mode ) and this lenses perform in a great way, i wouldnt think twice before i buy it, after that i would invest money in FF glass but at least people are not going to start from 0.. With out that option somebody ( like me ) that uses only APS-C glass will need to sell the ALL system in order to start using a Pentax FF ..
10-31-2014, 12:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Pentax makes a full selection of high quality aps-c lenses so it make sense for them to release a quality aps-c camera. Canon and Nikon have all their good glass in FF, so it makes sense to them to cripple the Aps-c line and force their customers into buying FF. Risky strategy IMO!
10-31-2014, 02:07 PM   #12
Pentaxian

...IIRC, Nikon projects their optical viewfinder crop lines onto the focus screen when in crop mode....
And Nikon gives you the option to darken the view on the outside of the frame lines too. Don't expect a hardware switch on the body to change between FF and 1.5 crop modes. It will most likely be a menu option (software switch).
10-31-2014, 02:10 PM   #13
Veteran Member

First this not a discussion about FF...
...but... it is.
10-31-2014, 02:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
...but... it is.
So, given that it is... Is there any indication that they have solved the ibis problem for the K-mount? Or is it in fact not a problem?
10-31-2014, 03:29 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
Or is it in fact not a problem?
Affirmative...

Steve

---------- Post added 10-31-14 at 03:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
And Nikon gives you the option to darken the view on the outside of the frame lines too.
That sounds very cool. The reviews I read did not mention that option.

Steve

---------- Post added 10-31-14 at 04:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
...but... it is.
No! It is a "I don't want to buy new glass if Pentax makes a FF and chooses to not make a high level APS-C camera and if the FF that this thread is not about does not support a cropped format as an option" thread.

Hmmmm...OTOH, perhaps this is a "Pentax would not do anything as stupid as upsetting me by orphaning the DA series lenses by not making a high-end APS-C body if they also make a FF camera, would they?" thread...or something like that.

Clearly though, this thread does not belong in the deep, dark, FF dungeon section of this site or does it?

Steve