Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2014, 06:53 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My first impressions of my new K-50

At first handling, I noticed the improvement in the grip of the new camera over my K2000. I have rather large hands but my fingers aren't especially long, and the grip was perfect for me. The layout of the on/off lever, +/- button and the green button will take a little getting used to, but not a big problem. The first major difference I noticed was the vast improvement in the overall sharpness and clarity of my photos as compared to the results I've been able to obtain from my K2000. I've yet to put it to the test in the field, but with the few photos I've taken of trick or treaters tonight, it's quite apparent that the increase in megapixels is going to significantly improve the overall quality of my work. I've only scratched the surface of what this wonderful piece of equipment can do, but I'm already thrilled with the purchase! Such an enormous amount of technology in such a small package.... and at such a bargain-basement price!

B.B. King named his favorite guitar, the one that produced his sweetest music, "Lucille," so.... I decided my new K-50 is now known as Lucille! Like George Kennedy in "Cool Hand Luke," when he was watching the buxom lass washing the car.... "Ooooo... my sweet Lucille!"

If Kerrowdown can name his lenses, I suppose it's O.K. if I name my camera, right?

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA

10-31-2014, 07:04 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I think someone had to die in a fire for BB to name his guitar..

I agree with your assessment of the K-50. I went from the K-7 to the K-50 and while it lacks the top LCD (which I miss a lot), the mag' alloy body (which feels nice in the hand) and the proper SR in movie mode, it's still a fine bit of kit which produces better results for me that the K-7 did.
The MovieSR of the K-50 is total garbage but I've solved this in buying an optically stabilized lens which works brilliantly when I shoot vid clips
10-31-2014, 08:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Actually, two men died in the fire. They had been fighting over a woman named Lucille.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucille_(guitar)

Last edited by erichope; 11-01-2014 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Hyperlink needed fixing
11-01-2014, 12:02 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great story!

11-01-2014, 01:51 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I was waiting your post, Dewman.
I am happy that after the purchase you still feel that way. You are going to enjoy it a lot!
11-01-2014, 02:28 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flaviopetrone Quote
I was waiting your post, Dewman.
I am happy that after the purchase you still feel that way. You are going to enjoy it a lot!

I shot a few photos of trick-or-treaters tonight and I noticed a marked increase in color saturation over my K2000. I expected the sharpness to be a little better because of the increase in pixels and I was not disappointed. So far, so good! I'm still having a difficult time understanding the usefulness of the "green button."

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
11-01-2014, 03:44 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I'm still having a difficult time understanding the usefulness of the "green button."
I own a k-50 since June and I am still discovering a lot of things, maybe because of my lack of experience because is my first SLR at all.
11-01-2014, 05:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I shot a few photos of trick-or-treaters tonight and I noticed a marked increase in color saturation over my K2000. I expected the sharpness to be a little better because of the increase in pixels and I was not disappointed. So far, so good! I'm still having a difficult time understanding the usefulness of the "green button."

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/53-pentax-dslr-camera-articles/60081-usage-green-button.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html