Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Camera cleaning - When the dust isn't on the sensor?

Here's a doozy for ya -- Hopefully someone can tell me some tips!

-----

Long story short -- I have a spotless sensor right now, having cleaned it with my newly acquired rocket blower and pecpad + wand.

The problem is now my viewfinder.
I see about 10 large specs of dust when looking through the viewfinder, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to remove them.

Some things I've tried:

1) Blowing out the camera without mirror lockup. Blown on the eyepiece.
2) Very gently wiping the exposed side of the mirror and the other viewfinder piece thingy (the weird piece with the autofocus markers on it?) with cleaning solution and a foam swab. Didn't help.

3) Barely raising up the mirror and gently seperating the shutter away from the mirror -- blowing in between, as I think that is where the dust is hiding.

So far, no luck. It's very annoying to see these black dots on my viewfinder. My images are perfectly dust-free for now, though. I have no idea how dust got up there, but it did.

Has anyone else has this problem? I've rocket blown my camera until my hand cramps, but the dust is pretty stuck. It's driving me crazy , especially since one of the specks is somehow covering a piece of my viewfinder aperature readout.

05-17-2008, 03:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't see what camera you have - if yours has a changeable focusing screen, you might try removing it and cleaning the "inside" side.
05-17-2008, 04:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have some dust or debri in just about every finder of every camera i own.

I just live with it. It does not effect picture quality

Dave
05-17-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
I don't see what camera you have - if yours has a changeable focusing screen, you might try removing it and cleaning the "inside" side.
Yeah I think that's what I cleaned...I have a K200D, though, so no removeable screen

QuoteQuote:
I just live with it. It does not effect picture quality
You are a better person that I !

It's driving me batty, but maybe I'll admit defeat in a day or two.

05-17-2008, 06:16 PM   #5
jdg
Forum Member

How about dust behind the optical viewfinder itself the one behind the camera on top of the lcd screen how do you clean that?
05-17-2008, 06:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the same problem(if you can call it that)

Just put up with it

Pictures comes out great
05-17-2008, 06:48 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
dust to some extent is a fact of life. If your sensor is clean, be satisfied with that.

Note, as a long time eyeglass wearer, I can tell you, that you soon find that you look past the dust, not at it. It is the same as the windshield of your car. you dont look at it but past it.

There was a post not so long ago about someone who had to replace his focusing screen because he was over zealous in cleaning it.
05-17-2008, 09:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There's nothing wrong with wanting a perfectly clean viewfinder - but the feasibility and practicality of expecting this is another story.

Where is the dust/debris you're seeing? Dust in the mirror or focusing prism are easy enough to deal with. If dust got in between your focusing screen and the prism, you can also remove the focusing screen and carefully blow out this dust.

Where it becomes overly complex is if the dust somehow got in between the prism and the viewfinder elements (top right). Here's a diagram borrowed from DPReview's Pentax K10d review.

Most viewfinder eyepieces (top-right part of the image) are not removable, so getting to the dust becomes a real pain in the derriere, if not downright impossible without tearing the camera apart.

This is where you either send it for a thorough cleaning and hope it comes back clean, only to find that after 3-4 outings more dust found its way in there; or, as others have suggested, know it's not going to impact the picture quality and go on about taking photos!

05-17-2008, 09:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Try using the Rocketblower without the mirror up. That's how I finally got rid of something on my K100D viewfinder. Or, maybe it was just coincidence. Either way, it's worth a try.
05-17-2008, 11:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The black dots are dust on the focusing screen. Don't blow hard on the screen inside and this will only get more dust goes into inside of the screen.

Don't try to detach the screen by yourself, I bet you will get scratches on it if you are not skillful enough. The focusing screen is made of plastic and it is very susceptible to be scratched!

I think you have two options for what I would recommend:

1. forget about it as I think the dust will not affect your composition of pictures nor it will affect final image quality - just don't look at them *intentionally* and they will go away! :-)

2. Ask a qualified camera technician or local Pentax service center to clean it for you.

QuoteOriginally posted by cputeq Quote
Here's a doozy for ya -- Hopefully someone can tell me some tips!

-----

Long story short -- I have a spotless sensor right now, having cleaned it with my newly acquired rocket blower and pecpad + wand.

The problem is now my viewfinder.
I see about 10 large specs of dust when looking through the viewfinder, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to remove them.

Some things I've tried:

1) Blowing out the camera without mirror lockup. Blown on the eyepiece.
2) Very gently wiping the exposed side of the mirror and the other viewfinder piece thingy (the weird piece with the autofocus markers on it?) with cleaning solution and a foam swab. Didn't help.

3) Barely raising up the mirror and gently seperating the shutter away from the mirror -- blowing in between, as I think that is where the dust is hiding.

So far, no luck. It's very annoying to see these black dots on my viewfinder. My images are perfectly dust-free for now, though. I have no idea how dust got up there, but it did.

Has anyone else has this problem? I've rocket blown my camera until my hand cramps, but the dust is pretty stuck. It's driving me crazy , especially since one of the specks is somehow covering a piece of my viewfinder aperature readout.