Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2014, 02:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
I bought the following over a few yrs and am very happy with my glass situation right now completely finished NO but pretty happy.
1. Tamron 17-50 2.8 actually better IQ than the Pentax 16-50 in the reviews and slightly sharper in the center but slightly softer in the corners than the Sigma 17-50 the Sigma being slightly better but much more expensive although better built but I can break the Tammy replace it and still come out a couple of $ ahead.
2. Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro I went to the Flickr groups and looked at the various pics all had similar IQ I really wanted the Pentax 100 WR but at twice the price! used! I really wanted the WR the pentax has.
3. Pentax 60-250 DA* F4 for me the best of all the lenses in this range pricey yes but way less costly than the CanNikon 70-200s. IQ is amazing and although I give up a stop I get a lot more range to me well worth the trade, and the bokeh is great also.

4. Pentax 50mm 1.8 only for low light
5. Still need a 15 mm F4

Now I have ABE (Advanced Body Envy) the K3 deals are killing me but I firmly believe (hope) a K3 upgrade is coming soon
If there is a FF next year, your 1) and 3) and 5) and K3 will retire! Beware this point.

11-02-2014, 02:57 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Cue Leonard Cohen: There is no cure, there is no cure...

Actually, the best thing you can do is to get away from the forums!
Absolutely, 100%!
11-02-2014, 03:17 PM   #18

LBA is an one way road, there is no return...
11-02-2014, 03:55 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would like to propose a theme for new thread(s)...
Every one of us who want to buy something starts a thread ("Hi, my name is Lensbeginner, and I have LBA") describing their intended purchase, and why they "need" it so badly.
The proposal is then validated by the community, and everyone can give a positive/negative answer, and giving suggestions on how the purchase can be avoided if that's the case.

11-02-2014, 04:23 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LBA is a harsh mistress.
11-02-2014, 04:26 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Every one of us who want to buy something starts a thread ("Hi, my name is Lensbeginner, and I have LBA") describing their intended purchase, and why they "need" it so badly.
this sound absolutely like an alcoholic rehab =))
11-02-2014, 04:31 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
this sound absolutely like an alcoholic rehab =))
Yeah, only alcohol is cheaper...

11-02-2014, 04:48 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Yeah, only alcohol is cheaper...
....to think the amount of liquor I could have bought in place of my Sigma Ex 300mm f2.8....
11-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
....to think the amount of liquor I could have bought in place of my Sigma Ex 300mm f2.8....
At 20Euro/bottle that's more than 135 bottles...
Boy, it's degenerating... I'll better hit the sack...
See ya tomorrow folks!
11-02-2014, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

I actually had a lot of LBA when I first started out. Most of it was due to sheer curiosity and wanting to learn.

When I first started out I was ALL about long lenses. The longer the better. I guess I watched one too many NFL games with all the giant white lenses around. After practicing some and a lot of trial and error I own one zoom that I don't use too often. I am of course interested in getting a zoom... something like a 17-70 or even a 16-50 f2.8 (if they are weather sealed)... Other than that the only other lens on my wish list is the 77mm and eventually I will get one of those. The only reason I would want that zoom is merely because it's weather sealed and that would add an element to my ability to shoot in not so good weather.

Now I shoot almost all prime lenses and most of the time the 43mm is the longest I will ever go, although I do own a 70mm.

Personally as for my current style of shooting what would serve me better is getting 2X K3 bodies and mounting two appropriate lenses on them to whatever it is I am going to...

Long story short I think I have developed my style enough to know that I don't need more lenses. What is more important is using what you HAVE and how to make art with that.

If I had all the money I needed all I really would add to my set up now is the 77 and the 16-50 weather sealed lens.

For me it was hard pill to swallow but buying gear does not a photographer make. It is cool. It's awesome to have nice stuff, but it does not add to my ability to spot and capture classic or even interesting images. Once you hit a certain level, the skill factor tells you that 'one more lens' just will be 'one more lens'...

Basically the internal argument with myself of 'do I work on my skills or do I just buy more stuff' pretty much ended most of my LBA.
11-02-2014, 06:03 PM   #26
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
I've started the photo journey for 4 months now and below is what I bought so far :
* Tamron 18-200 : the first lens ever
* Tamron 17-50 : an upgrade of the kit lens
* Sigma 17-50 : follow the DXO rating of the best lens for K5 IIs (zoom category)
* Sigma 35mm Art : follow the DXO rating of the best lens for K5 IIs (fix focal category)
* Tamron 28-75 : follow the rating in this forum
* Helios 44M : for the magical bokeh
* DA 15 f4 : for travel
* Pentacon 135 f2.8 : because of the low price at a outdoor market

And with the lens tournament, I see a lot of interesting lens, all are "must have" !!! What can I do to cure the LBA ??? I'm gonna go bankrupt at this rate =___=
Go out and use them.
11-02-2014, 06:42 PM   #27
Site Supporter

I am pretty well cured of it unless we see a long WR zoom or something longer than what I have. I'm pretty happy with what I have. It's all in my signature other than the 1.7af adapter that is on its way.
11-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #28
Veteran Member

My way is by selling lenses I have before I purchase others. To kinda keep a quota I guess. I feel like I have too many now so I'll probably have a huge sell off soon
11-02-2014, 06:52 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You really don't cure LBA - you just learn how to deal with it.
11-02-2014, 06:58 PM   #30

I think the only cure is getting them all... ><

I'm slowly on my way to complete the FA limited set...but the DA limiteds are so appealing...