Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2014, 07:23 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by Byakko Quote
I think the only cure is getting them all... ><

I'm slowly on my way to complete the FA limited set...but the DA limiteds are so appealing...
And then you start whit another brand!!!

11-02-2014, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LBA is caused by a virus. Therefore vaccination by purchase of a new lens is the medically prescribed treatment. Booster shots are required at regular intervals to maintain immunity to LBA. The LBA virus is known to mutate rapidly and change modes of infection from zoomies to primes. Ultimately the patient cannot be cured---symptoms are treated with progressive desensitization involving close contact with glass.
11-02-2014, 08:09 PM   #33
Veteran Member

As a wise man once said, "When I have money, I buy lenses. When I have money left over, I buy food and clothes."

But, honestly, my LBA seems to be petering out. There aren't many things that I can't do with my current set of lenses-- a better WR zoom would be nice, a macro lens would be nice, a fisheye lens would be nice, a pancake lens would be nice, a better long telephoto lens would be nice...but these things would each only be critical for maybe 1-5% of my shots, so it's hard to motivate myself to spend a few hundred dollars on a new lens.
11-02-2014, 08:12 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I got afflicted with Pentax LBA in 2012. These are the stages I went through.

Stage 1: Initially, I started collecting lenses that I could get my hands on. These are mostly cheap, manual lenses. Pentax, Sigma, I don't care, as long as it fits the mount.

Stage 2: Then I started brushing up on the reviews, and started collecting "acclaimed" lenses. During this phase, I had to start selling some of my initial stash. First to go were the manual Pentax zooms and Sigmas. These were replaced by manual Pentax primes. The "supposed rating/IQ" value of my collection went up during this stage. I was more busy collecting than shooting.

Stage 3: I realized, I had one too many lenses of the same focal length. Prior to this stage, the only rhyme or reason for my collection was the perceived rating. I knew I had to switch to a more "logical" way of feeding the addiction. I decided disposing some of the lenses to ensure that I cover every focal length from 28mm to 300mm, and acquiring plugs for the focal length holes. "Zooming by foot" was not an option then .

Stage 4: It was crazy, I've been spending too much and the pictures I was seeing in the forum were still so much better than my shots. A quick check of the EXIFS of those photographs revealed the dreaded word for the wife: "Limited". Something drastic had to be done. Off many of my glasses went, and they were replaced by the FA Limiteds. First came the 77, the 15, and then the 43. My collection went from around 20 to around 11 or ten.

And I thought that LBA was cured.

Stage 5: An itch I've left behind, begun rearing its ugly head. Last Saturday, I went and bought the FA31.

I know that my LBA has been cured, at least until another Limited arrives.

Now, where's the thread for CBA?

(I'm looking at the K3 and want to venture on the film cameras.) .

Last edited by drypenn; 11-03-2014 at 02:55 AM.
11-03-2014, 01:46 AM   #35
Veteran Member

There was this spine-chilling post on a blog, but now it's not loading for some reason (was online just a couple of days ago), anyway...
http://www.f-stopeight.com/confessions-of-an-ex-gear-addict-how-buying-camer...ose-thousands/
11-03-2014, 02:43 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
"Pressing on with your current gear when everybody else is upgrading will make you a better photographer. "

I'm planning on keeping 3 lens : one wide angle, one 50mm (the sweet Helios) and one tele/short tele
Could that cure my LBA ? We'll see, but the 3 amigos sounds toooooooo goooooood not to buy @_@

Last edited by redcat; 11-03-2014 at 03:03 AM.
11-03-2014, 03:03 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
I planning on keeping 3 lens : one wide angle, one 50mm and one tele/short tele
Could that cure my LBA ? We'll see, but the 3 amigos sounds toooooooo goooooood not to buy @_@
Probably not. I have a 35mm Macro, a 40mm Limited, a 16-50mm DA* and could still use another lens the fifties at some point. Cure your LBA? Not likely, but it might provide some palliative care.

11-03-2014, 03:05 AM   #38
Veteran Member

"Pressing on with your current gear when everybody else is upgrading will make you a better photographer. "

I'm planning on keeping 3 lens : one wide angle, one 50mm (the sweet Helios) and one tele/short tele
An easy therapy is to go on vacation with only a normal lens.
You'll be amazed at what you can do with it alone.
Also, "new" high-MP bodies offer a lot of cropping headroom.
...unless you buy lenses for their "character", because at that point there's no hope (and no limit...)!
11-03-2014, 05:18 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
You'll be amazed at what you can do with it alone.
Also, "new" high-MP bodies offer a lot of cropping headroom.
...unless you buy lenses for their "character", because at that point there's no hope (and no limit...)!
But it is possible you might regret not to bring other lenses with you! For example, in Washington space museum, there have Soviet Union and U.S nuclear missile. If you have a wide angle, you can take them into picture easily otherwise you will give up for sure as the missiles are too high to capture! I had to change my normal lens to wide angle.
11-03-2014, 06:16 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
I'm actually doing so, each day I take only one lens with me and find out which one I prefer the most and the strenght/weakness of each !
QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
But it is possible you might regret not to bring other lenses with you!
that's why I'll keep the wide angle (da15), just in case, and it's useful for light-weight travel
11-03-2014, 01:08 PM   #41
Veteran Member

But it is possible you might regret not to bring other lenses with you! For example, in Washington space museum, there have Soviet Union and U.S nuclear missile. If you have a wide angle, you can take them into picture easily otherwise you will give up for sure as the missiles are too high to capture! I had to change my normal lens to wide angle.
Either stitch handheld or use a tripod (if permitted) and the sensor-shift trick.
Or concentrate on the details.
Since when the best pictures cram everything into the frame?
11-03-2014, 01:23 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I've started the photo journey for 4 months now and below is what I bought so far :
* Tamron 18-200 : the first lens ever
* Tamron 17-50 : an upgrade of the kit lens
* Sigma 17-50 : follow the DXO rating of the best lens for K5 IIs (zoom category)
* Sigma 35mm Art : follow the DXO rating of the best lens for K5 IIs (fix focal category)
* Tamron 28-75 : follow the rating in this forum
* Helios 44M : for the magical bokeh
* DA 15 f4 : for travel
* Pentacon 135 f2.8 : because of the low price at a outdoor market

And with the lens tournament, I see a lot of interesting lens, all are "must have" !!! What can I do to cure the LBA ??? I'm gonna go bankrupt at this rate =___=
Get an old Polaroid and a pack of film. Go nuts!
11-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You deal with LBA one lens at a time. Just don't buy the next lens. Don't worry about the lenses you've already bought. Don't worry all the lenses you might buy. Just don't buy the next lens.

Sell $1,000 worth of existing lenses. Wait for a deal on an FA Limited - any FA Limited. Buy it - ONE lens. Don't buy the next lens.

Do that twice more.

Do it again for ONE Macro lens and ONE telephoto lens of your choosing.

A Domke F3x can carry a flash and everything but the telephoto, or the telephoto mounted and two lenses. One bag for a super-premium gear list.

Don't buy the next lens. Your LBA is not cured, but you've learned to deal with it.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-03-2014 at 02:41 PM.
11-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thankss monochrome, seem like superb buying guide
11-03-2014, 02:45 PM   #45
Veteran Member

If there is a FF next year....
Thats my concern at this point.. as we all did, i think that we started with a basic cheap kit lens and perhaps something else, but most of us started replacing this lenses and collecting some more.. BUT.. what if we have a FF next year?? i will love to have the posibility to use my APS-C lenses with a Pentax FF MEANWHILE i can get some fully compatible FF lenses ( i have none ) but thats something that nobody knows until a FF is release..

So.. should we start getting worry about getting some FF lenses too?? .. is easier to sell a "cheap" lens than to sell something more expensive, for example it will be much easier to sell a Tamron 17-50 than a Pentax 16-50... specially knowing that our Pentax market is not as big as Canikon market and we dont have that many buyers..