Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-03-2014, 08:14 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Requiem for a K3!

Well, I posted in here when disaster struck:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/275168-help-urge...t-florida.html

People here were amazing. Noel offered sound advice:

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
This may not help....but:

- just enjoy the moments you are having.....
- smile when you think of the stories you can tell about how you drowned your camera....
- maybe get a second body for future trips..... but don't stress over it
- remember to stay nice to those around you (as opposed to the full on "just lost my camera dude")

Enjoy your time in the special places you are visiting!

I dropped my K5II on a once only trip to China on day 3 or so of the 12 day trip last year.

(I was the lost camera dude for about a day)
Heie did more than that. He, amazingly, offered to let me borrow his K3 and a tele lens for the rest of my trip - he would have sent it to my hotel! Since I had less than a week left of my holidays at the time he suggested this, and shipping the gear would have taken most of that time because of the weekend, I didn't take him up on the offer. But he reminded me what a very special place this forum is!

Anyway, I sent in my camera for repair. I just got an email from the camera store saying that they do not recommend a repair, since there is damage to the electric circuits, or something of the sort. My K3 is now officially dead. It was my best camera ever, so I thought it deserved to get its own requiem thread!

This is one of the last photos I have with the camera (sadly, the SD-card was damaged also, and I lost +300 of maybe the best photos I ever took!)

Eventually, I will get another K3. I bought a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 to make up for the 50-135mm f2.8 DA* that I also broke, and for now this is all my budget allows. But the K3 is the best birding camera Pentax ever made - and I miss it!

[IMG][/IMG]

11-03-2014, 08:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A dear friend of mine just lost his Nikon to the Sea, along with a borrowed lens...I told him to look at the bright side...he can get into Pentax now....I'm loaning him my k5, as he decides.....Super last photo by the way...great dof and composition...
11-03-2014, 08:35 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I bought my first DSLR (K-x) because of these forums. And yes, Heie is awesome
I am sure new pictures will come soon and this will be just an anecdote.
11-03-2014, 08:44 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
Well, I posted in here when disaster struck:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/275168-help-urge...t-florida.html

People here were amazing. Noel offered sound advice:

Heie did more than that. He, amazingly, offered to let me borrow his K3 and a tele lens for the rest of my trip - he would have sent it to my hotel! Since I had less than a week left of my holidays at the time he suggested this, and shipping the gear would have taken most of that time because of the weekend, I didn't take him up on the offer. But he reminded me what a very special place this forum is!

Anyway, I sent in my camera for repair. I just got an email from the camera store saying that they do not recommend a repair, since there is damage to the electric circuits, or something of the sort. My K3 is now officially dead. It was my best camera ever, so I thought it deserved to get its own requiem thread!

This is one of the last photos I have with the camera (sadly, the SD-card was damaged also, and I lost +300 of maybe the best photos I ever took!)

Eventually, I will get another K3. I bought a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 to make up for the 50-135mm f2.8 DA* that I also broke, and for now this is all my budget allows. But the K3 is the best birding camera Pentax ever made - and I miss it!

[/url][/IMG]
Really sorry to hear of your loss.... but thank you for sharing. In a way you made my day with the advice from noelpolar (which is so true!) and Heie's most gracious offer... This is indeed a great forum and you will replace your K3 hopefully sooner than you think.

Lovely picture... what lens did you use?

11-03-2014, 08:47 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
Lovely picture... what lens did you use?
The (now official) Greatest Tele Ever: My DA* 300mm!

...which, I am happy to say, was not mounted on my camera at the time!

[IMG][/IMG]

---------- Post added 11-03-14 at 08:48 AM ----------

Oh, and thank you, I am glad you like it. I love skimmers! We haven't got anything like those in Europe!
11-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I also have found people in this forum very generous and helpful. Great group of folks here!
11-03-2014, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The (now official) Greatest Tele Ever: My DA* 300mm!

...which, I am happy to say, was not mounted on my camera at the time!

[/url][/IMG]

---------- Post added 11-03-14 at 08:48 AM ----------

Oh, and thank you, I am glad you like it. I love skimmers! We haven't got anything like those in Europe!

I just ordered the DA*300 yesterday and am planning a birding trip to the Texas Gulf Coast in March. I hope you get to come back to the states for more birding and with a new K3 in hand! Now to make it through the long, dark and cold winter till the birds return in the spring and K3 prices are really cheap. You could order one and have it delivered to your hotel room in Florida or wherever you would go birding in the states. Probably cheaper than the K3 price in Europe...

11-03-2014, 09:13 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
I just ordered the DA*300 yesterday and am planning a birding trip to the Texas Gulf Coast in March. I hope you get to come back to the states for more birding and with a new K3 in hand! Now to make it through the long, dark and cold winter till the birds return in the spring and K3 prices are really cheap. You could order one and have it delivered to your hotel room in Florida or wherever you would go birding in the states. Probably cheaper than the K3 price in Europe...

I... wiiiiiiiish!

Right now I am out of both holidays and money though!

My two-year old has no understanding of that, though. I said only this morning (looking out at the dark, rainy morning) "I wish I was back in Florida!" And she replied "We can go tomorrow, mum!"

The Texas gulf coast was where i first saw skimmers! I hope you have a great birding trip, and enjoy your DA* 300!
11-03-2014, 09:28 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Heart warming stories all around, even if I hate to hear about a Pentax camera and expecially a 50-135 being lost. That is a lens that I seriously covet.

Best of luck as you rebuilt your system!
11-03-2014, 09:45 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might be able to find a lightly used K10D pretty cheap to tide you over. At least you'd have something to put the DA* 300 on.
11-03-2014, 09:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
he reminded me what a very special place this forum is!
It's a special place because it is made by a lot of great and honest people. I say that because it is exactly what I feel since I joined here. Everyone always talked with me as I was a professional photographer, even when in the beginning I was asking a lot of obvious things.
I remember the patience of some users criticizing my very bad pictures and using nice words, trying to make me understand and not feel stupid.
I remember one time I wanted to buy some lenses on the marketplace and the seller adviced me to avoid this buying because in my case was better to search for something else.
All these things is something that I won't forget, never.

I'm sorry for your camera, I can imagine the frustration. I wish you to buy another one as soon as possible to continue to shot your beautiful pictures.
Don't give up!
11-03-2014, 09:57 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I... wiiiiiiiish!

Right now I am out of both holidays and money though!

My two-year old has no understanding of that, though. I said only this morning (looking out at the dark, rainy morning) "I wish I was back in Florida!" And she replied "We can go tomorrow, mum!"

The Texas gulf coast was where i first saw skimmers! I hope you have a great birding trip, and enjoy your DA* 300!

"You'll be back"! I am sure and maybe with your "four year old".. ;-) Enjoy those children and dream about the warm sun, sandy beaches and BIRDS!
11-03-2014, 10:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
this is a very worthy and funny photo, I like it!
well I'm sorry that happened to you is unhappiness with your camera
because it is a very big loss, we often get used to those things which spend a lot of time, especially with the PENTAX!
11-03-2014, 01:16 PM   #14

Sorry about your K-3. I think I would have had a full blown panic attack! Great picture though!
11-03-2014, 01:34 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. And, Steve:

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
You might be able to find a lightly used K10D pretty cheap to tide you over. At least you'd have something to put the DA* 300 on.
That IS sound advice. I couldn't do without something to put the DA* 300 on... which is why I ordered a K5II 48 hours after breaking my K3 and sort of blew the holiday budget ...but... you know... there were pelicans...

[IMG][/IMG]

...and... and piping plovers. I couldn't help it.

[IMG][/IMG]