I'm Hobbyist 7170.30%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2014, 04:00 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I shoot commercially for a major live music website.
This is what Pros do

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Also made the bride cry when she saw them! If any wedding/studio pros in Melbourne need a hand on a weekend...
I can tell that you did a great job !! This thread could be an opportunity to meet Pros from your city !

11-05-2014, 04:39 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hobbyist here. The idea of feeding my family on a photographers income is scary.
11-05-2014, 04:55 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Small suggestion....why don't Adam include in the Pentax Forum a sub category that include a list of photographers who consider themselves pro in the field and include an introductory page about the photographers themselves and a link to their photos offsite? Of course the pro photographers will need to give their consent..I am just thinking this is a good way for normal hobbyist people like me to get to know more about the people who uses Pentax as part of their day to day business machine earning a living....get to see their works and learn from them.

Should work both ways for both PF and the Pro photographers don't u think? PF can showcase real people who actually uses Pentax and the Pro's themselves can showcase their own work here and use this as a platform to network?...no?
11-05-2014, 06:08 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Should work both ways for both PF and the Pro photographers don't u think? PF can showcase real people who actually uses Pentax and the Pro's themselves can showcase their own work here and use this as a platform to network?
interesting Idea, it proves photographers can earn a living with Pentax

11-05-2014, 06:41 AM   #50
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
let's just say if it weren't for my day job your poll would need a 3rd option: "starving artist"
Yep, applies to me as well!

I don't think of myself as a pro - but I do tell people that I have a "self financing hobby". I have had a good deal of luck selling mostly wildlife shots to magazines, but some book illustrations and random jobs as well.

However, at the rate I wreck equipment this year, it's hard to keep up with the "self financing" bit...

Can't quite make myself vote "pro" in the poll, since this forum have tonnes of better photographers, but since I have sold >50 images by now, by your definition I would be. Maybe marketing skills and motivation to raise cash is as much of a factor as photography skills in this!
11-05-2014, 06:54 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
since I have sold >50 images by now
It seems beyond hobby to me, did you share these images in our forum or the right is reserved after you sold them ?
11-05-2014, 07:09 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My couple of thoughts.
Russia's people are buying cameras, learn basic retouching and already considered by professionals ...
I personally know a girl who is 16 years old and she has a wedding photographer yes, she did ask for his little shooting, but I think it is not correct.
Alas, we have not developed the business - people think it is a very easy-come, shot, earned money.
In Russia, many people do not know the coordinates absolutely rules photographing, do not understand the principles of a beautiful picture, but it is already trying to "cut money" to clients. No, of course it is not the bulk of the people, many professionals are very large, but alas. It saddens me that I have met many people who are not really masters in photography, but who manage to earn money.
11-05-2014, 07:12 AM   #53
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
It seems beyond hobby to me, did you share these images in our forum or the right is reserved after you sold them ?
I never sold the rights, just printing rights for one particular publication - so they are still mine.

Some I shared in these forums, and some are on my homepage at photo.hesselholt.com . Some that are sold, but not yet published, or private photo jobs, I keep under password at my website.

But - like I said - there are many photographers in here that are leagues better and never sell. Selling photos is probably mostly about determination. For me, I feel I can't really justify the expenses of photo gear if I don't sell a bit. We have a shared economy, and my husband has NO expensive hobbies and hardly ever spends money on himself...

11-05-2014, 07:24 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
Selling photos is probably mostly about determination. For me, I feel I can't really justify the expenses of photo gear if I don't sell a bit. We have a shared economy
Thank you ! Read this motivate me to try selling some of my photos too ! It can finance my LBA (which is not very good) in one hand and force me to continuously improve my photo quality in the other hand (which is good)
It demands lots of courage too, sometimes photos that we truely love are not appriciated at all by photo agency, and that Hurts !

---------- Post added 11-05-14 at 03:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gor80 Quote
many people who are not really masters in photography, but who manage to earn money.
we can still learn something from them too, the way they convice others to buy their photo ! some photographers are really good but cannot sell their artwork, "dare to fail" is what it takes in this industry, I think you try and try until you get the photo you love (despite many shots go straight to the trash can), you try and try until those photos are correctly valued (despite many times you might be refused)
11-05-2014, 07:47 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thank you ! Read this motivate me to try selling some of my photos too ! It can finance my LBA (which is not very good) in one hand and force me to continuously improve my photo quality in the other hand (which is good)
It demands lots of courage too, sometimes photos that we truely love are not appriciated at all by photo agency, and that Hurts !

---------- Post added 11-05-14 at 03:33 PM ----------

we can still learn something from them too, the way they convice others to buy their photo ! some photographers are really good but cannot sell their artwork, "dare to fail" is what it takes in this industry, I think you try and try until you get the photo you love (despite many shots go straight to the trash can), you try and try until those photos are correctly valued (despite many times you might be refused)
I wanted to say that I do not mind the number of photos, I just for the quality.
And it is the quality and knowledge of the rules of photography, very saddens me
11-05-2014, 08:21 AM   #56
Pentaxian

I do real estate work for hire, but that's not my day job. I used to shoot weddings, pets, and portraits but no longer do so. Am I a pro? FWIW my real estate work is done with Canon gear, so in terms of Pentax, I'm no pro.
11-05-2014, 09:06 AM   #57
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
my real estate work is done with Canon gear
I'm curious, what was the reason of your brand switch ?
11-05-2014, 09:44 AM   #58
Pentaxian

No switch

I'm curious, what was the reason of your brand switch ?
I didn't switch, I never used Pentax gear for any paid gig. I am brand-agnostic; I have a dozen or so DSLRs at the moment, including Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, and Fuji. I wouldn't hesitate to use my K3 for real estate but there's no affordable Pentax wide angle that goes min 10mm which is what I need for many small-roomed houses.
11-05-2014, 09:49 AM   #59
Veteran Member

I have a Facebook page with photos that Ill sell to people if they contact me. I've only sold one, and I only make 10 bucks a photo. Its just a way to pay for some gear.

All pf my photos are for fun, and I have a completely different career. So, I voted for hobby.
11-05-2014, 12:56 PM   #60
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
I've only sold one
one step at a time the first is always the most difficult !

---------- Post added 11-05-14 at 08:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
I have a dozen or so DSLRs at the moment
CBA maybe