I'm Pro 3029.70%
I'm Hobbyist 7170.30%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2014, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Definition of Pro

Definition of a Pro, 2014 Edition: You've had a photo stolen from you.

11-05-2014, 01:46 PM   #62
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
By that definition, I definitely qualify
11-05-2014, 02:19 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
very funny, sometimes it's totally true ^^
11-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #64
Site Supporter

It happened to a friend here locally, but never to me

Steve

11-05-2014, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It happened to a friend here locally, but never to me

Steve
That you know of anyway!
11-05-2014, 05:07 PM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter

Great useful, clear definition!
11-05-2014, 05:17 PM   #67
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm Pro...bably the biggest amateur in the forums
11-05-2014, 05:38 PM   #68
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
I'm Pro...bably the biggest amateur in the forums
not at all ^^ I'm the big fat amateur here

Last edited by redcat; 11-05-2014 at 06:13 PM.
11-06-2014, 01:47 AM   #69
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Small suggestion....why don't Adam include in the Pentax Forum a sub category that include a list of photographers who consider themselves pro in the field and include an introductory page about the photographers themselves and a link to their photos offsite? Of course the pro photographers will need to give their consent..I am just thinking this is a good way for normal hobbyist people like me to get to know more about the people who uses Pentax as part of their day to day business machine earning a living....get to see their works and learn from them.
I remember there was a series of front page articles a while ago, showcasing professional photographers who chose Pentax. I like your idea, but honestly I don't think I would sign up for it myself - like I said above, while I am happy to be able to finance my gear purchases and "justify" my hobby to my family, I recognise totally, fully, that the world is full of better photographers than myself, many, many of them 100% amateurs.

That said, I think this goes for many activities in the world: The person doing the job is not necessarily the optimally skilled person, but the person grasping the opportunity. Initiative is the main part of it - and luck comes in as well. I happen to know a local free lance journalist who asked me to illustrate articles a few times - most of my other jobs can be traced back to that one connection, or networking relating to those first jobs.

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
Thank you ! Read this motivate me to try selling some of my photos too ! It can finance my LBA (which is not very good) in one hand and force me to continuously improve my photo quality in the other hand (which is good)
It demands lots of courage too, sometimes photos that we truely love are not appriciated at all by photo agency, and that Hurts ![COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 11-05-14 at 03:33 PM ----------
Go ahead, redcat. I know some of the people opting NOT to try to sell argue that to them, fixed assignments kill the creativity. Actually, I find it is a bit opposite: When I get a list of required motives it makes me think harder and try harder - and that has definitely improved my skills. A few jobs have been a bit boring, but most are actually great fun, and they all contributed to my training.

Whenever I feel a bit underqualified for a job (I know amateurs who could deliver something better than what I could), I tell myself that will generally comes before skill in this business. As demonstrated only too clearly when my kids bring home class photos from kindergarden or school: Some of those photographers are DEFINITELY not driven by skill (or artistic ambition for that matter).

If you opt to make photography your day job, you probably have to take on assignments that you find tedious. I still did not vote "pro" in the poll, because I consider myself more of a paid hobbyist: I can afford the luxury of doing jobs that interest me, in my spare time - and I think that is how I prefer to keep it.
11-06-2014, 02:09 AM   #70
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I made my living from photography for a few years in the late eighties / early nineties. But after a while I realised that I was never going to be anything more than a small-town jobbing photographer, living a hand-to-mouth existence, and eventually it ground me down to the point where I could barely stand the sight of a camera anymore. I gave it up for a career in the travel industry and didn't shoot anything other than family snapshots for the next decade, and I've never regretted the decision. Nowadays I'm a contented amateur and wouldn't want it any other way.

I understand why the idea of turning a hobby into a career can seem so seductive, but there's an old saying that seems to apply here: "Be careful what you wish for, you might get it."
11-06-2014, 02:10 AM   #71
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
When I get a list of required motives it makes me think harder and try harder - and that has definitely improved my skills
I totally agree, and many thanks for sharing your thought and your journey !