Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2014, 04:32 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is an iphone 5 shot versus a K-01 with DA 15. Shot on different days. The iphone shot is fine for web posting, but certainly not the same quality as the K-01 shot...

K-01

I Phone 5

The biggest thing to me with phone images is that they lack leeway with regard to processing. As long as exposure is right and lighting is good, they do OK, but once your image is under exposed or, you want to bump shadows, they start to fall apart quickly.

11-04-2014, 04:41 AM   #17
Pentaxian

For some snaps smartphone witha good camera can deliver almost as good as an older DSLR. However if you have to develop them, not just fine - tune then I agree with Rondec - the things start to be complicated.
11-04-2014, 04:59 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
This is an iphone 5 shot versus a K-01 with DA 15. Shot on different days. The iphone shot is fine for web posting, but certainly not the same quality as the K-01 shot...

K-01

I Phone 5

The biggest thing to me with phone images is that they lack leeway with regard to processing. As long as exposure is right and lighting is good, they do OK, but once your image is under exposed or, you want to bump shadows, they start to fall apart quickly.
A nice trick to get back that leeway is to bracket.
Stacking multiple images helps you regain information for the exposure, detail, and it lessens noise.
With modern phones (I have experience with the Galaxy S3, so for a more recent one it should be equal or better) you have pretty fast burst rates, so movement is not much of an issue (and then you have deghosting available).
When I'm at home I just process all the bracketed images and make the last adjustments on the 16bit TIFF file before saving as jpeg.
Works a treat.
11-04-2014, 05:55 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
Hi. I had K100DS for 7 years before giving it to my father this summer. I don't have 5S, but had to copy photos for some of my guests who had it. Anecdotally, my impression is that, screen-sized, the photos in good light look similar (maybe even better for 5S but bear in mind I shoot K100DS raw, and I am sure 5S has all sorts of jpeg sweeteners added), but when pixel peeping, 5S is noticeably softer. With worse light, 5S photos deteriorate faster. This even though K100DS is not very impressive in low light.
Same experience here. Recent iphone photos are pretty impressive, especially in good light. If what you're doing doesn't rely on gobs of detail at large sizes to impress or shooting under unfavorable conditions, then some modern smartphones can do a dandy job.

I can see the convenience appeal. Once some of the newer smartphones start heading to the dumpsters in mass quantities after being replaced by even newer models, I can see picking one up.

11-04-2014, 07:46 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Actually you can get a lot out of a raw file from a smartphone. Especially in the highlights there is plenty of data. And there is plenty of detail once it isn't noise filtered to death.
11-04-2014, 01:49 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Actually you can get a lot out of a raw file from a smartphone. Especially in the highlights there is plenty of data. And there is plenty of detail once it isn't noise filtered to death.
IF your smartphone supports RAW output... (mine does not)
11-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder how that 41mp Nokia stacks up?
11-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I wonder how that 41mp Nokia stacks up?
Ah, a case of excess pixels used intelligently...
More pixel can be good... when all the cameras are good (sunny 16 territory) then you have excess resolution and can crop for "digital zoom", otherwise you can downsample to lower noise and still retain enough detail...
There's plenty of ways in which excess information can be used in the field of photography...
There were some RAW files posted on dpreview somewhere, you can play with those!

11-04-2014, 04:00 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Ah, a case of excess pixels used intelligently...
More pixel can be good... when all the cameras are good (sunny 16 territory) then you have excess resolution and can crop for "digital zoom", otherwise you can downsample to lower noise and still retain enough detail...
There's plenty of ways in which excess information can be used in the field of photography...
There were some RAW files posted on dpreview somewhere, you can play with those!
I'll have to have a google hunt. (Or not - I'm very happy with my K-5!)
11-04-2014, 04:18 PM   #25
Veteran Member

honestly - I hate the iPhone, I do not know how you do but we made ​​it out of a sack, the more he stands in Russia almost 2 times more expensive than in the US, it's all the same phone, I recognize only the photo on the camera, I'm too conservative . This stone is not in your address, and all ....
but your photo is quite good, I like
11-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #26
Pentaxian

IF your smartphone supports RAW output... (mine does not)
The Xiaomi Mi2 and Mi3 do (I have a Mi3), and the LG G2 and G3 I believe too. Not officially, but there's an app for that. Also I believe it's a feature of Windows Phone 8, or it's going to be, at least on the Nokia/Lumia ones...

The good thing with smartphones is that they have backside illuminated sensors, which allows them to fit more pixels without a hit on sensitivity... there's very little space between the light sensitive parts of the sensor, so a 40 MP image scaled down to 6 MP should be as good as a 6 MP image taken on a 6 MP sensor of the same size. With APS-C sized sensors that is not the case, until the Samsung NX1. That does have an APS-C sized BSI sensor, which allows them to up the resolution to 28 MP. IIRC the light sensitive parts of the sensor are as big as that of a regular 20 MP APS-C sensor... (micro lenses make up a bit for the losses of regular sensors, but I guess BSI is still superior.
11-06-2014, 02:00 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
The Xiaomi Mi2 and Mi3 do (I have a Mi3), and the LG G2 and G3 I believe too. Not officially, but there's an app for that. Also I believe it's a feature of Windows Phone 8, or it's going to be, at least on the Nokia/Lumia ones...

The good thing with smartphones is that they have backside illuminated sensors, which allows them to fit more pixels without a hit on sensitivity... there's very little space between the light sensitive parts of the sensor, so a 40 MP image scaled down to 6 MP should be as good as a 6 MP image taken on a 6 MP sensor of the same size. With APS-C sized sensors that is not the case, until the Samsung NX1. That does have an APS-C sized BSI sensor, which allows them to up the resolution to 28 MP. IIRC the light sensitive parts of the sensor are as big as that of a regular 20 MP APS-C sensor... (micro lenses make up a bit for the losses of regular sensors, but I guess BSI is still superior.
...I always thought BSI to stand for "Bull S...", but then couldn't find a meaning for the I...
...just kiddin'!
On the serious side, Chinese manufacturers are catching up pretty fast... I've seen more and more high-quality (not cheap knock-offs prone to breaking) products by Chinese brands (including Yongnuo) as time goes by...
11-06-2014, 06:53 AM   #28
Pentaxian

...I always thought BSI to stand for "Bull S...", but then couldn't find a meaning for the I...
...just kiddin'!
On the serious side, Chinese manufacturers are catching up pretty fast... I've seen more and more high-quality (not cheap knock-offs prone to breaking) products by Chinese brands (including Yongnuo) as time goes by...
Yup. I own a Chinese phone, my girlfriend too (both Xiaomi... Mi3 and Hongmi 1S). They are great. Well made, good hardware, good to use, and by far cheaper than what I would have paid for a similar product from Korea, Taiwan or the US.

Cameras are a bit different though... less plug and play.