Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2008, 06:47 AM   #16
Not Registered

I think that it is too late for a K1000d now. It made more sense when dslr were more expensive. Still, I wish Pentax will come out with a really tiny dslr and a pancake increment (something wider and slower) and several compact takumar-like lenses above 100mm. Uhmmmm, takumar.....

07-26-2008, 05:52 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Something like this maybe (it could be just someone fooling around with PS, but it could also be a leak from a devel-experiment-department somewhere - i have not found out which yet, or even made up my mind about it):

digital-camera-for-men.istheshit.net
07-26-2008, 08:58 AM   #18
RaduA

The specs of the new baby Pentax camera starts to emerge and they have nothing in common with an obsolete gadget like toy only for die hard enthusiasts.

This will be a smaller, lighter, not expensive modern camera and with a big enough LCD on the back for sure!

Radu
07-26-2008, 06:18 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nothing wrong with the suggestion and interesting discussion about the Pentax K1000D variant. It's always healthy to discuss and explore the possibilities.

I just want to know if RH will actually buy this camera.

07-26-2008, 06:31 PM   #20
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The problem with this wish list - is that the list is based on a film mentality.

Back in the film heydays what you wanted was a solid reliable body with the best glass you could afford. Every time you loaded a roll of film is the equivalent of changing your sensor. One minute B&W, the next color prints, the next slides and for each type of "sensor" your use of the camera -- changed. You do not think the same when shooting B&W as opposed to slide film. When I was attending a photo workshop, the instructor told me not to switch between film and digital - because the photographer has to think different because of the way the "sensor" reacts to the technique. (I did shoot both - I was successful in both too - I guess I am just talented that way).

What RH is asking for is a cheap mechanical DSLR - that acts like a K1000. While that is interesting - I would have just loved to have a old film 35mm SLR that had the two control wheels like my K10D. My old manual SLR's do have alternate controls, but the shutter speed is on the top of the camera (I can see the shutter speed in the viewfinder however, since there is a mechanical disk that flips around) and the f stop is on the lens. The metering is center weighted with LED's in the viewfinder and no match needle (5 LED's two stops under, "correct" and 2 stops over).

Now would I like a nice DSLR that had those features? Yes - it is called the K10D and it allows me to change the ISO on the fly. I have --- more --- control with my K10D than I had with my film SLR's.

I have set my K10D up to be very close to what RH has suggested, except that I use AV 99.99% of the time. ISO control on the front e-wheel, f stop on the rear, de-coupled AF from the shutter button only using the center AF point. I rarely take "acton" shots so I have to "think" (sorry to say - but yes - I think about what I want to shoot - no machine guns here) about what I am shooting. Although, I have turned on multishot - but that is when I decide to do it.

RH does need a new camera - he needs to learn how to use the one (if he really has one) he has. Now as for a new camera - I would really like a B&W version of the K20D - no color, all 14.6 MP as 12 bit grey RAW files. Ooohhh baby - that is something to really think about - I wonder what the DR would be on a camera that has the capability to see 4,096 real shades -- per pixel...

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
07-27-2008, 02:15 AM   #21
Pentaxian

The purpose of any economic enterprise is not to have a large market
share, make the best cameras, nor the cheapest nor to sell a lot of
cameras - it's to make money.

Could Pentax really substantially improve the bottom line by marketing
a simple inexpensive quality DSLR camera?

To make such a camera would take more capital, R&D and production
facilities than they now have not less. Where will the capital come from
for such an undertaking? If Pentax could do it why wouldn't Nikon or
Canon be in an even better position to do it? I would bet such a
marketing plan is sitting in some file at corporate headquarters of Nikon
and Canon right now.

My guess is that if there is a market for such a camera it won't be
Pentax that makes it just for the reasons you give - limited capital..
Nikon maybe but not Pentax. More than likely some no-name state
supported facility in China that wants to desperately break into the
lucrative first world market. and is willing to take a temporary per
unit loss on each unit until they establish a market presence in N.
America and Europe.

Last edited by wildman; 07-27-2008 at 02:21 AM.
07-27-2008, 05:59 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
k10000D

I think to a considerable extent, K100D fits all the description except support to TTL & 10MP pixel count. Both are not the key key issues though.
With SR support to zillion older lens and AA batt , it excels in a lot of aspects. A repackaged K100D selling at $250 would have achieved the coup you mentioned.
BTW my K100D is back to zero counts already (twice )- it means it reaches 30K shots.

Daniel
07-27-2008, 07:35 AM   #23

I think it should have 3 key design objectives:

1)IQ - K10 wise.
2)Value for money. Same v4m level the K100 had. SR a must have.
3)Body design - Should be small, light, confortable and boasting a very attractive yet simple design.

07-27-2008, 12:40 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaddigad Quote
I think it should have 3 key design objectives:

1)IQ - K10 wise.
2)Value for money. Same v4m level the K100 had. SR a must have.
3)Body design - Should be small, light, confortable and boasting a very attractive yet simple design.
I just said that. K100D has all or 90% of what you stipulate. In IQ, it matches K10D just on the noise aspect (or the lack thereof)

Daniel

Last edited by danielchtong; 07-27-2008 at 03:39 PM.