Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2014, 02:35 PM   #1
Site Supporter

AE-Lock and AF-Lock on the Pentax K-3

Can someone please enlighten me as to what each of these buttons do on my Pentax 3. I am hearing that one should try and use the AF-Lock button instead of pushing the shutter button down half way to focus especially in low light and for moving subjects. What are the advantages if any and how does one use/operate this function. I am really nieve on this subject and would appreciate some good sound advice as to the use of the two buttons.

Thank You for reading my post.

11-04-2014, 02:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mapleleaf-Mick Quote
Can someone please enlighten me as to what each of these buttons do on my Pentax 3. I am hearing that one should try and use the AF-Lock button instead of pushing the shutter button down half way to focus especially in low light and for moving subjects. What are the advantages if any and how does one use/operate this function. I am really nieve on this subject and would appreciate some good sound advice as to the use of the two buttons.

Thank You for reading my post.
AF-Lock locks focus on your current setting (same as keeping the shutter button half-depressed), while AE-lock locks exposure.
What you're probably talking about is called back-button focusing, and it's indeed useful for sports.
It entails using the AF/AE lock button for focusing (Focus ON) instead of the shutter button.

a) In the customisation menu, set the AF button to AF2 to disable AF on half press (thus you won't change your focus when half-pressing: the AF/AE button will be you sole focus trigger)
b) Set the focus switch to "C" (Continuous).
c) In the Info panel, turn off the AF.A.

There's also a thread here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/272013-k-3-back-button-focusing.html

Main advantage with this technique is that the camera focuses continuously, and you have no lag when you press the shutter button due to focusing (nor you can change the focus by accident), it just shoots.

Last edited by LensBeginner; 11-04-2014 at 02:55 PM.
11-04-2014, 03:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is not really an AF lock as much as it is an AF button that allows you to focus separate from the shutter release. As noted above, it can be used for a number of techniques. The AF button can also be programmed to do other functions.

As for the AE Lock button, it holds the current exposure settings despite a change of framing. The most common use is to meter close in when the subject is back-lit, lock the settings, and then back up to make the actual exposure.

Steve
11-04-2014, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
*snip*
As for the AE Lock button, it holds the current exposure settings despite a change of framing. The most common use is to meter close in when the subject is back-lit, lock the settings, and then back up to make the actual exposure.

Steve
I also use it when I know where to meter in a high-contrast situation e.g. sunset or sunlit house with strong shadows, lock those values and then recompose as I like.