Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2008, 02:23 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Need a new Camera, help me spend my money!!!

So today a friend came to me, saying he was interested in a nice camera for the deployment he's leaving on tomorrow. Not wanting to disappoint him (and secretly wanting to fulfill my own quest for new gear!), I sold him my *ist DL2 with a lens or 2 I didn't need anymore for $450. I figured he got a really sweet deal, considering the camera was light on wear, and had the Dicain grip, a few filters, and an old bag (that no longer holds all my gear anyway).

Now, I need a new body.

I'm having some trouble sifting through all the reviews online; they all seem like great bodies. Weather sealing isn't a priority for me, because I never shoot in inclement weather. I consider shake reduction a plus. I find myself looking at the K10D, and the K20D most times (drooling, really), but I'm not sure the higher price tag justifies the higher pixel count of the K20 (I still consider myself a recreational shooter at this point). I'd like to get the battery grip, and a few spare batteries. Obviously, I'll have to throw more money than $450 at this, but I have some to spare.

Given the above, what can you guys recommend to me?

05-18-2008, 07:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by miniman82 Quote
So today a friend came to me, saying he was interested in a nice camera for the deployment he's leaving on tomorrow. Not wanting to disappoint him (and secretly wanting to fulfill my own quest for new gear!), I sold him my *ist DL2 with a lens or 2 I didn't need anymore for $450. I figured he got a really sweet deal, considering the camera was light on wear, and had the Dicain grip, a few filters, and an old bag (that no longer holds all my gear anyway).

Now, I need a new body.

I'm having some trouble sifting through all the reviews online; they all seem like great bodies. Weather sealing isn't a priority for me, because I never shoot in inclement weather. I consider shake reduction a plus. I find myself looking at the K10D, and the K20D most times (drooling, really), but I'm not sure the higher price tag justifies the higher pixel count of the K20 (I still consider myself a recreational shooter at this point). I'd like to get the battery grip, and a few spare batteries. Obviously, I'll have to throw more money than $450 at this, but I have some to spare.

Given the above, what can you guys recommend to me?
The K200D is a very fine tool and takes advantage of the newer technological advancements over the last 18 months since the K10D came out. I would suggest the K200D and the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 lens.

Ben
05-18-2008, 08:13 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that Ben has it right, The K200D is a great camera that should do a fine job of image quality and features without the higher cost.
05-18-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the input!

Oops, forgot to make a sigline for myself. Now updated.

The only lenses I'd really like to own at this point are the Bigma, and maybe a fast 50. I figured the K200D would be the hot item, it's one of the 2 bodies I've been eyeing. What's the differance between the K10 and K200? I can't tell by reading the reviews, and the price is about the same as well.