Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2014, 03:18 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
K-5II vs Olympus E-3 - ergonomics and feel

Hi,

I am thinking if I should consolidate my cameras into one. I have a K-30 which I use whenever I need a very good image quality. I also have a couple of older 4/3rds bodies (E-1 and E-3), just because they are very nice to use. They have autofocus that snaps the subject on the first try, without going back and forth for fine tuning. They have very well damped mirrors and are silent, the buffer seems to be larger, viewfinder is practically as good as on the K-30. I also have a feeling that the shutter lag and mirror blackout are shorter on the E-3. It's a bunch of things that come down to fun of shooting, but are not easily put down on paper.

How does K-5 or K-3 compare to olympus K-3 in terms of factors above? I can't really go and do any hands on testing, because it seems no one in the entire town has one in store.

11-05-2014, 05:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The auto focus on the k3 is very refined...of course it varies with the lens slightly, but especially in low light conditions, it performs far better than even the k5.....it definitely doesnt require fine tuning unless you want to if your lens is calibrated.....not sure what you mean by mirror blackout.....nice work by the way you posted in the black and white thread today...those ice formations are stunning....I tried to comment, but somehow I cant figure out how to attach comments on that thread to the photos......I do highly recommend the k3 though......
11-05-2014, 07:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The mirror on the K-5 is easily the quietest I've ever encountered on an SLR, including any Oly 4/3 body I've used, and the K-3 is a close second. The shutter on both will get you 2-3FPS more than you get on the Olympus, and with a fast enough SD card, it takes a while to max out the buffer, even at raw. On the K3, Pentax claims 60 frames on JPEG and 25 frames of raw before slowdown. I've never measured it myself, but the numbers seem realistic. By comparison, the e-3 claims 19 raw images. Shutter lag on both the K-5 and K-3 is imperceptible.

As far as VF size goes, according to this page, the vf on the K-3 is 8% larger than that of the E-3. The K-5 and K-30 share the same sized viewfinder, which is 4% larger than the E-3.

As a fan of the ergonomics of the Olympus DSLRs, I can say that those of the Pentaxes are even better (I've not used a K-30, but I imagine they are quite similar), and the sheer solidity of the top-end Pentax bodies is something that you really can't understand until you have one in your hand.

Hope this helps!

QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
Hi,

I am thinking if I should consolidate my cameras into one. I have a K-30 which I use whenever I need a very good image quality. I also have a couple of older 4/3rds bodies (E-1 and E-3), just because they are very nice to use. They have autofocus that snaps the subject on the first try, without going back and forth for fine tuning. They have very well damped mirrors and are silent, the buffer seems to be larger, viewfinder is practically as good as on the K-30. I also have a feeling that the shutter lag and mirror blackout are shorter on the E-3. It's a bunch of things that come down to fun of shooting, but are not easily put down on paper.

How does K-5 or K-3 compare to olympus K-3 in terms of factors above? I can't really go and do any hands on testing, because it seems no one in the entire town has one in store.
11-05-2014, 07:45 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Maybe I can answer that since I was an avid Oly user from the Camedias, E-300 to E3 which was quite a few years. I loved my Oly cameras & glass especially the E-1 and then the E-3. The Auto focus on those I found was adequate, better with the E-3, and fast in normal conditions, they both would hunt under the normal situations where most Dslr's struggle and the E-3 autofocus I found was adequate in low light conditions but I find my K5 lls is better. With the K5 ll, lls or K3 you will gain much better low light performance, slightly better than your K-30, vs the E-3. The shutter lag and blackout on the K5 series and K3 are even shorter than the E-3 and you gain a true mirror lock up feature. The ergonomics I find to be about the same but I like my K5 a lot better. Where you really gain with either the K-5 or K-3 is the button layout, the E-3 or E-1 cant compare. Where you gain once more with the k-5 ll or lls and K-3 vs your K-30 is the shutter and SR are really really quiet, then lens quietness depends on the lens. If your using a lens with Sdm or something like the Sigma Hsm then you barely can tell when they focus noise wise. It was really hard for me to leave Oly products especially after owning the E-3 and I really vacillated on getting an E-5 but with what was happening with Oly and dslrs I decided to move on. Since I have Pentax and Ricoh slrs and read more on what Pentax dslrs had to offer for the price the transition was easily made. I originally bought a K-50, which is a fine camera but it wasn't what I had with my E-3 so once I got the K5 lls in my hands and used it it was camera love all over again.

So do I think you should consolidate, I don't know because you have three very fun capable working cameras, but if you do the k5 ll series or k3 will give you more than what you would want as a replacement for your Oly's. Of course minus the articulating screen, which I do miss still but not all that much. The dual slots you can find in the K3 but even with Oly that wasn't a biggie for me. So good luck with your decision.

11-05-2014, 09:39 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses! I will look through them later tonight. Maybe I will try calling Samy's in downtown LA and see if they have any in stock. If they have a K5 II at $600 deal I might just buy it...
11-06-2014, 10:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I believe you will find a much better deal checking with B&H or Adorama and buy it through the link this site.
11-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
I believe you will find a much better deal checking with B&H or Adorama and buy it through the link this site.
I am sure I would, but I cannot touch and feel it through my computer screen, which is important in this case . I could of course go and check it out at Samy's and buy from B&H but I would like to support a local store for the sake of being able to try products out, even if it means paying 10% tax.