Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The K-50 also has two selection dials if you ever get into shooting Av, TAv, Tv, etc modes. I think the K-S1 only has one dial. Two dials is a such a pleasure to use. Set one to aperture and the other to ISO for Av mode.

11-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pixxie Quote
precise autofocus ( have have bad vision, so for me to manual focus would result in blury images)
Has the K-x a diopter on the OVF? This should help compensate for your vision?

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Why not a K-5IIs? Should trump them both, and can be found for very affordable prices these days
Unless you live in Australia where it still sells for the same price as a K-3 (sometimes more!!)
11-05-2014, 01:34 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes, the kx does have a diopter. I do feel like it the af does get a little jumpy sometimes not being able to focus quickly. Maybe i'll upgrade, Maybe I won't, maybe I'll wait till after xmas to see what other price drops we get.
11-05-2014, 04:16 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes, I admit, I do really like the looks of the K-S1. It is very pretty, and the white one would look great wearing my white 2.4 35mm limited

but anyways, between the k-30 and k-50, I am really not finding much difference between them, is there? Why would i go for one over the other besides the "look"?

I have realized that water resistance really doesn't mean much to me b/c none of my lenses are water resistant, and I probably would be doing a "body only" so at this point the thing that means the most to me is sharpest/ least amount of noise image quality! I will be looking for some photo comparisons to be making my final decision. It looks like on amazon, I can get the k-30 and k-50 body only for right around $400, and the ks-1 actually is cheaper with the basic lens than without for $670.

11-05-2014, 05:31 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

but anyways, between the k-30 and k-50, I am really not finding much difference between them, is there? Why would i go for one over the other besides the "look"?

The K-30,50,500 are essentially variants of the same very good camera, Pixxie.

I've bought a K-S1 not to replace my K-30, but to upgrade my K-x, which as you know is such a small and light DSLR!

Having a Samsung Mini-NX, I like shooting tethered to my phone, and the K-S1 also does this with a Flu card.
11-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #21
Veteran Member

If it was me, I would go K-50. I have a K-30 so it is the same engine and that is what matters the most to be, great ergonomics, great IQ and high ISO and WR but other users who are just moving up from a P&S would probably be not as interested in that. For the most part the K-S1 has great specs sans WR so I could see others go either way.
11-05-2014, 07:25 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Yes, I admit, I do really like the looks of the K-S1. It is very pretty, and the white one would look great wearing my white 2.4 35mm limited

I have realized that water resistance really doesn't mean much to me b/c none of my lenses are water resistant, and I probably would be doing a "body only" so at this point the thing that means the most to me is sharpest/ least amount of noise image quality! I will be looking for some photo comparisons to be making my final decision. It looks like on amazon, I can get the k-30 and k-50 body only for right around $400, and the ks-1 actually is cheaper with the basic lens than without for $670.

Well, I guess you should go for the K-S1.

It always feel better when you like the "looks" of your camera. Picking it up and tugging it along will always be easier.

For what it's worth, I'm a KX, K30, Q, Q7 user.
11-05-2014, 07:56 PM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
Well, I guess you should go for the K-S1.

It always feel better when you like the "looks" of your camera. Picking it up and tugging it along will always be easier.

For what it's worth, I'm a KX, K30, Q, Q7 user.
yes but looks aren't everything! i do love the look, but i'm not sure if it is a logical choice, that is why I am weighing my options.

11-05-2014, 09:02 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Seeing that it only has a single wheel, definitely a turnoff for me. The twin wheels are huge for me. So like you said, looks aren't everything. Needs to be a balance of features/ergos/looks, in a model that you can afford, and a balance of the three features that works for you.
11-05-2014, 09:07 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As a K-x and K-30 owner, I'd recommend the K-5iis or K-3. I haven't been impressed by the K-30's IQ, but the ergnomics are a dream (though I forget my SD card often enough that I wish I had a second slot).
11-05-2014, 09:24 PM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
Gosh I wish there was someplace local that carried Pentax. I think at this point I really want to "feel" the cameras. My K-x is very natural and comfortable for me. it fits in my small hand perfectly and feels balanced when shooting, so I would hate to upgrade to something that wasn't right in that way for me. It also needs to be intuitive for me, but I guess with use everything becomes intuitive after a bit of use. I honestly think pretty much whatever I get that is on the market right now will be an upgrade to my k-x. I just want it to be worth the money for the upgrade. I work optical retail, so I'm really not in a position to get something and not like it. I more than likely will not be using this to "add to my collection" but to replace my k-x.
11-05-2014, 09:36 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I hear you. There is only a single store within 100 miles of where I live that sells Pentax. I was fortunate enough to handle my buddy's K10, and that got me hooked. When I went to that single camera shop, they had the full run (K-500, K-50, K-5, K5ii, K-3, and even the Q7), so I go to hold them all. PC gaming is my other hobby, and gaming mice are much like a camera in this way. Features don't matter if it doesn't feel right in the hand. Hope you are able to find a place that carries the models you're interested in.
11-05-2014, 10:49 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Have you thought about upgrading to faster lenses first? What shooting modes do you use?
11-06-2014, 05:46 AM   #29
Veteran Member

What I can add is that when Pentax released the KS-1 I had my k-50 since 2/3 months and I didn't feel neither for one moment the desire to have waited for buy the new one. To me, k-50 is much better (2 wheels, WR, a little bigger...) .
Obviously just my opinion.