Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #1
Forum Member

k-50 or k-s1

Hi,
I have the k-x and I am considering upgrading my body. I am looking at both the k-50 and the K-s1. I am a casual shooter, but like to shoot nature, roller derby, product shots, architecture, and people. Would it be worth the upgrade for me? The k-s1 has more MP, but I know thats not all it takes in a dslr. What do you think?

11-05-2014, 11:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why you do consider to upgrade the body?
This is the question you have to answer to yourself.

Ks-1 and K50 are slightly different in some things, but it depends from what you are looking for.
11-05-2014, 11:36 AM   #3
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I also would ask Why? For the sensor or the camera design/ergonomics/user interface?

I have/use a k20d, k-x and K-5 extensively, and as regards sensor performance I don't see a large difference between the k-x and k-5--and I use it mostly for live theatre/dance--i.e., low light high iso conditions. Also for most printing needs the difference in sensor MP is not significant--but only you know if the amount of cropping/size of prints became a problem for you.

As regards ergonomics/options there is a big difference between the two (k-x and k-5)--but likely not so for the bodies you are considering. A K-5 or K-3 is a step up in this regard.

BTW based on MP, the K-s1 allows about 40% larger print all other things being the same (e.g., 8x12 --> 12x18) and the K-50 25% larger print (e.g., 8x12 --> 10x15), assuming no interpolation to a higher MP w/ the K-x. In practice I have done some cropping--and still printed at 24"x36" with the k-x.

Last edited by dms; 11-05-2014 at 11:47 AM.
11-05-2014, 11:36 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
my k-x is 5 yrs old. Im ready for something new? I feel like my images have a lot of noise. I would also take suggestions of other models too, But if The upgrade isn't going to do much for me, then I won't bother. I am petite and have small hands, so I really like how compact and light the k-x is. I was also looking at the k-30. I do a good amount of low light shooting too, so something that is good in that respect would be nice too.

11-05-2014, 11:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pixxie Quote
my k-x is 5 yrs old. Im ready for something new? I feel like my images have a lot of noise. I would also take suggestions of other models too.
My post was just to say that if you consider the reasons for which you are not satisfied anymore with that camera, you will have more clear ideas about what to search.
I own a K50. I can tell you that it has a lot of very interesting features and the high ISO quality is incredibly good (taking in consideration the price range of the camera).
Now you can buy it for a really good price, in kit with some good lenses or just as standalone body.
The K-30 should be very similar, but I never tried one.
11-05-2014, 11:45 AM   #6
Closed Account

Well the KS-1 is indeed small, and it has a new sensor. Ergonomics depend on the user, so what feels good to one person, might feel weird to somebody else. The K-50 is a nice camera, and would be a good body upgrade for a K-x, but if you don't need the WR, want to go for something smaller (like the K-x), and the release price doesn't scare you -- then I would definitely consider a KS-1. For me, I would want my hands on it first, to make sure it felt right, and the ergos were workable. Last thing you want is for using your camera to become a chore
11-05-2014, 11:50 AM   #7
Inactive Account

If I were you, I would try to find a K30. The insides are identical to K50, but to me the design of K30 is much more attractive.

I wouldn't choose KS1 just because its grip is super small, no WR and I am not a fan of the design.

11-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flaviopetrone Quote
My post was just to say that if you consider the reasons for which you are not satisfied anymore with that camera, you will have more clear ideas about what to search.
Oh yes I get that. I am still in the early stages of this consideration. And am looking to find a good excuse to upgrade I guess. ha. We all love our toys dont we? I am not sure yet If I will keep my kx as a second body. It being light weight makes it great for hiking, but I still feel I want more out it. Maybe I am am not using it to its potential, That is a possibility, however, I am not satisfied with its low light images. so here is what is important to me:

lightweight/ fits well in hand( my hands are small)
easy to use/ interface
compatibility to my other lenses
low noise
shake reduction( i do not always have steady hands being small and cameras being heavy)
vibrant color to images
precise autofocus ( have have bad vision, so for me to manual focus would result in blury images)
the water resistance sound intriguing, but not necesarily necessary.

I guess that is the main things.
11-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #9
Closed Account

Keep in mind that for manual focus, you have focus peaking available on the K-30/50, and the KS-1. Extremely useful (along with the 6x magnification feature) for manual focus. My eyes are pretty hit and miss when it comes to manual focus, but with focus peaking, it's really easy. The SR, low noise abilities, and lens compatibility are all there. The access to the controls would be something new to learn (the wheel on the back), and I'm sure the autofocus is at least as good as the K-50 (though I haven;t ready any reviews on its performance yet).
11-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Considering your needs, I would say that both cameras are good!
The difference, always regarding what you asked, is that the KS-1 is smaller, but the K-50 is WR.

In your clothes, I would go to a shop and try by hands the K-50, because if it would fit my hands, I could spend less having a WR camera (you never know...).
Anyway, you could test both to see the feeling in your hands.
11-05-2014, 12:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why not a K-5IIs? Should trump them both, and can be found for very affordable prices these days
11-05-2014, 12:27 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pixxie Quote
Hi,
I have the k-x and I am considering upgrading my body. I am looking at both the k-50 and the K-s1. I am a casual shooter, but like to shoot nature, roller derby, product shots, architecture, and people. Would it be worth the upgrade for me? The k-s1 has more MP, but I know thats not all it takes in a dslr. What do you think?
Shooting nature is a strength of the K-50, it is WR, does well in low light, and has focus peaking for landscapes on a tripod. The K-S1 is definitely advances with the AA simulator and new processing engine. But I'm not sure if it has interval shooting or the built in level. A lot of the features are identical, but for me the Weather Resistance has become a must. I wouldn't mind having a K-S1, but I'd have to have a weatherized camera too. I have used a k-x and I think either would be a nice upgrade. Somebody mentioned the K-30 which is very close to the K-50 but better looking (I agree), but even though it's discontinued the prices are higher than the K-50 so I would go for the K-50 over K-30. In the end I would recommend the K-50 because of the WR and the great prices you can get it for right now. And keep your k-x too!
11-05-2014, 12:50 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The K-50 is more capable except for sensor resolution

The K-S1 is more stylish

The K-50 has a more defined grip

The K-S1 has a shallow grip

The K-S1 has a different user interface approach

Bottom Line: If you like the K-S1 style and are willing to compromise a few features and the grip, it is a good choice. If style is not a consideration, the K-50 offers comparable image quality and more features at a lower price.

Steve
11-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #14
Pentaxian

With a name like 'pixxie' a small camera might be ideal hence the K-s1. If weather is any concern at all though the K50 is the better choice. It's true that if you are ready to take control of more parameters of your shots the K-5 clan would serve better - but for just new the K-s1 and its 20mpxl is as new as it gets, and the missing AA filter will be a revelation.
11-05-2014, 01:03 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The ergonomics of the K-50 are far superior to the K-S1, IMO. Another difference is that the K-50 has two e-dials, which lets you change the shutter speed or aperture on the fly in P mode (hyper program), something that the K-S1 lacks. I'd recommend the K-50 unless you want the looks.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: