Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Taking a night shot

I'm still dumb as a rock, early oldtimers.... How do I force my K100D to take a night shot at a faster shutter speed? It stays open too long when I try to shoot shots like the moon and such.

05-18-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Try to shoot manual. That way, you have control of everything, instead of the other way around.
You can also bring the ISO up. If you want more accurate answers, you should post some photos with EXIF.
05-18-2008, 03:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Start out in M, moon is just another sunlit object, so use "Sunny 16" as your starting point with M. Have fun.
It stays open long if you meter in matrix or center weighed and the moon or (worse) stars take up a very small area of the whole metered area and the rest is black, it just takes a while to get that scene gray. You could meter the moon with spot meter, but remember it would use too fast a shutter speed since it wants the moon to be gray, like anything else your camera shoots
M + Sunny16 is your best bet.
05-18-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Shooting manual is your best option. Take a shot, chimp it and adjust as needed.

05-18-2008, 08:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was shooting in manual and the shutter stayed open for 10 sec. at least.
05-18-2008, 08:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

IF what you chose was 5 seconds, it would probably take another 5 second dark frame to reduce noise on long exposures, check your Custom Functions.
I just don't see you manually choosing 5 seconds to shoot the moon.
And keep in mind, in M, you are the boss, if you don't like something, you change it.
05-18-2008, 09:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by morfic Quote
M + Sunny16 is your best bet.
I recall having read on some site about the "Moony 11" adjunct to the "Sunny 16" rule.

Shutter speed set to same (or near) as ISO gives different apertures to use depending on the phase of the moon.

I believe it was something like f11 for a full moon, f8 for 3/4 moon, f5.6 for a half-moon, etc etc.
05-20-2008, 12:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You mean the camera won't let me choose a 1/2 a sec shutter speed in a dark setting.

05-20-2008, 01:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I was shooting in manual and the shutter stayed open for 10 sec. at least.
when you shoot in manual you tell the camera how long you want the shutter open for

if your shutter was open for 10 seconds, that means you set the camera to stay open for 10 seconds!

remember turning the dial sets one parameter, while holding the EL button + turning the dial will set the other.

if you are using stop-down metering to let the camera choose a shutter speed based on your aperture, and you are getting a slow shutter speed, then either increase your ISO, your Aperture, or both.

if you are maxed out at both, well, then, you are just shooting something that is too damn dark.
05-23-2008, 08:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Where in the manual does it explain how to do this stuff.?
05-24-2008, 08:51 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Where in the manual does it explain how to do this stuff.?
Under the Manual mode section.

On your top screen, or in the viewfinder, you will see your shutter speed adjustments being made. Do not confuse 10" with 10. 10" is ten seconds, 10 is just 1/10 of a second. Holding the Av button next to your shutter release will allow you to adjust your camera in Manual.
05-24-2008, 03:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

When you go in the Custom Setting of the menus, scroll down to "Auto EV Compensation" and make sure it is "off", otherwise, the camera may think you are making a mistake and correct it on it's own. You never have full control if "Auto EV Compensation" is on.
05-25-2008, 05:17 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Or just stick it in Tv (Time value) mode, that way you directly control the shutter speed, and the camera calculates the required aperture and ISO. May not be correct for every situation though, especially at night.