Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2014, 05:19 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Oh, ya, I forgot about that, shooting small birds through branches, my keeper rate has increased about 100%, in fact my keeper rates is almost the same as shooting without branches. It's rare with the K-3 you focus on a branch instead of your subject.
You can't have an increase of 100% as that is exactly 1x what you already have and you would have to take 2x as many shots for 100% to be defined as and addition to, rather than a multiple of.

11-10-2014, 05:52 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
You can't have an increase of 100% as that is exactly 1x what you already have and you would have to take 2x as many shots for 100% to be defined as and addition to, rather than a multiple of.

Well... he said an increase of the rate... which can be true, provided that the rate was low enough before...
E.g. if keeper rate was 30% now it's 60%, because 0.3 + (0.3 * 100%) = 0.3 + 0.3 = 0.6...
...but maybe he was just using a hyperbole
11-10-2014, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In any case, shooting small birds or anything small through obstacles like branches is much improved in the K3. Mathematical accuracy in conversation is of minimal value.
11-10-2014, 08:46 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a K5 but no K3 yet. I went to B&H and handled the K3 and it felt like a very high-tech camera, much more so than the K5. I didn't compare them side-by-side but it definitely seems like the K3 is quite a bit more advanced. I can't wait to get my K3 one of these days.

11-10-2014, 08:48 AM   #35
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I can't wait to see how it and my K5 compare side by side.
11-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I can't wait to see how it and my K5 compare side by side.
Don't be surprised if your first reaction is, "Hmmm...not much different."

The IQ isn't better. More megapickles. Maybe even a bit more noise at 100%. But not a game changer. What you will notice is the AF as everyone has pointed out.

And the grip. The K5 grip is great. The K3 grip is sublime.
11-10-2014, 09:34 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Don't be surprised if your first reaction is, "Hmmm...not much different."

The IQ isn't better. More megapickles. Maybe even a bit more noise at 100%. But not a game changer. What you will notice is the AF as everyone has pointed out.

And the grip. The K5 grip is great. The K3 grip is sublime.
Aren't the pictures sharper due to lack of the AA filter?
11-10-2014, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
Aren't the pictures sharper due to lack of the AA filter?
If you're a pixel peeping brick wall camera geek, yes.
If you're a normal human being, no.

There's a difference, but it's not a "I can't believe that I've been photographing in a fog all these years!" kind of way.

11-10-2014, 01:36 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
If you're a pixel peeping brick wall camera geek, yes.
If you're a normal human being, no.

There's a difference, but it's not a "I can't believe that I've been photographing in a fog all these years!" kind of way.
I agree - at least to some degree. I think that goes for most of the improvements - small and numerous. But I don't see a need for sharpening the pictures from the K-3 - I do for the K-5.

Other things I do notice, in no particular order:
- the view finder is bigger, brighter and better - more so than it looks on paper IMO
- speed, especially notable when using the K-5 after having gotten used to the K-3
- burst rate - not easy to get just one frame in continuous mode
- weight, not a huge difference but I do notice it
- live view - actually quite a lot better, and with focus peaking
- button placement - the AF button is much better placed, I think
- two card slots
11-10-2014, 01:52 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Well I think I can probably wait until the next iteration then. Maybe the FF will be out next year and I can just take that leap.
11-10-2014, 03:39 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would have been in the 'don't bother' category, but it sounds like the OP found a fine deal

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Well... he said an increase of the rate... which can be true, provided that the rate was low enough before...
E.g. if keeper rate was 30% now it's 60%, because 0.3 + (0.3 * 100%) = 0.3 + 0.3 = 0.6...
...but maybe he was just using a hyperbole
I think it's always true..eg. if the keeper rate was 60% before, it's now 120%. For every 10 shots you take you get 12 keepers. The k-3 is just that good.
11-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I would have been in the 'don't bother' category, but it sounds like the OP found a fine deal

I think it's always true..eg. if the keeper rate was 60% before, it's now 120%. For every 10 shots you take you get 12 keepers. The k-3 is just that good.
Yeeeeah! That good!
(that's why I put the caveat "provided that the rate was low enough before", i.e. ≤ 50%)
I don't necessarily agree with @Mikesul (though I respect his opinion, and I can understand why he manifested it): I like math and exploring even the most insignificant facets of an issue, either to keep my mind sharp, or to gain a deeper understanding and be able to think laterally next time I find an issue in the field...
I don't regard it as nitpicking for the sake of it...
11-10-2014, 04:03 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Many different points made here and I will address only one. Since money is taken into account, the way I see it if a K-3 costs 900$, a bargain some may say, for the same price you could get a FA77 ( I think) or a Sigma 18-35 or whatever your cup of tea is, which most certainly will affect you photography significantly.

If money is not a concern then you can eat the cake and have an entirely different cake in the refrigerator just for the looks.