Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2014, 08:59 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Since I am not doing any wildlife while there that I know of I should be able to hold off. I might toss 8-16 and 70-200 in my bag just in case, but probably will have the 18-135 on most of the time.
I don't remember needing a long lens in my last few trips to oversea... unless of course, you indeed to shoot some wildlife (which you said no), I would leave the long zoom at home just IMHO.

11-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I just printed three 20"x30" prints, one taken with the K5 and two taken with the K3. TBH, there's not much difference.
11-07-2014, 09:36 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I just printed three 20"x30" prints, one taken with the K5 and two taken with the K3. TBH, there's not much difference.
In print, there's not a lot of difference between K-5 and a D800 either... once you hit 16 MP, going to 24 MP only ads another 1000 pixels, so, not that much room for improvement in LW/PH. Going to 36 MP makes more difference, but you still have to print really large to see it in a print.
11-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
I strongly suggest that you'd take your K-5 to the trip. I have both and with K-3 I get much easier (unwanted) shake in the photos when used exposure times about 1/focal length (which I have to use quite much this time a year) and the worst part of it is that it's hard notice on site. BTW, I was about a year ago on a holiday in Naples (Italy) and I had DA 15mm, DA 35mm f/2.4, FA 77mm and DA 55-300mm with me. The first one I mostly used when shooting outdoors and actually never felt like I'd need a wider lens (maybe because that's just so awesome little gem). Indoors the 35 was the mostly used one. There was a little use of the last two ones though I was happy that I took them with me and especially about the zoom on a boat trip from Sorrento to Positano along Amalfi Coast.

11-08-2014, 07:06 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by komit Quote
I strongly suggest that you'd take your K-5 to the trip. I have both and with K-3 I get much easier (unwanted) shake in the photos when used exposure times about 1/focal length (which I have to use quite much this time a year) and the worst part of it is that it's hard notice on site. BTW, I was about a year ago on a holiday in Naples (Italy) and I had DA 15mm, DA 35mm f/2.4, FA 77mm and DA 55-300mm with me. The first one I mostly used when shooting outdoors and actually never felt like I'd need a wider lens (maybe because that's just so awesome little gem). Indoors the 35 was the mostly used one. There was a little use of the last two ones though I was happy that I took them with me and especially about the zoom on a boat trip from Sorrento to Positano along Amalfi Coast.
This is very good advice. The K3 is wonderful and I do not regret buying it in the least. However, as Komit points out, it make take a bit of practice to avoid introducing small amounts of shake into the photos which you do not notice until you review the pictures on a monitor. For vacation photos the K5 will produce wonderful pictures which rarely need the extra power or features of he K3. A single fast prime or a pair should cover all your needs.
11-08-2014, 04:44 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Sounds like it is a resounding no on getting a K3 for the trip. I don't seem to have the AF issues so many others do with the K5, but maybe because I am used to it. I was mainly wanting to see if the increase in resolution and sharpness is that much.

I'm going to hedge that a bit. While my K3 was in service, someone loaned me their K5IIs. Pentax buddies are awesome, or at least this one is. It was a good camera, but I was *so* relieved to get my baby back.

I felt there was a noticeable difference in IQ using the same lenses (for my style) and the K3 focuses on small objects much better. With the K5 I was constantly in MF to get things right. The increase in selectable AF points alone with the K3 was huge, for me. I also found the K3 easier to use, even given my familiarity with the K3. I used the K5 for a week, which was long enough to get used to it, I think. Moving from a K-x to a K3 took me about 20 minutes.

Now, if I owned the K5, I may not have upgraded. I certainly won't be replacing my body (barring disaster) for a few years. But I really do think the K3 is a sizeable step up. At least it is for what I do. I do a lot of photography in less than ideal conditions and lots and lots of macro shots. You had better believe 8 frames per second is a huge help when you are handholding trying to get a sharp ID photo of a plant and it's windy.

That said, if you are going to Europe to go on vacation and take snapshots -- don't buy anything new. Enjoy the trip and have fun taking photos. I don't own the 18-135, but from what I gather it's not the most amazing lens ever, it's just a solid walkabout lens.

However, if this is a photo excursion opportunity for you and you are packing filters and tripods and whatnot... the K3 costs less than most plane tickets, especially when you have a nice stable of lenses ready to go.
11-09-2014, 04:01 PM   #22
Veteran Member

If you have any interest in video (just in case), get a K-5 and a bunch of SD cards.

Otherwise it's totally up to you... personally the only real improvement I'd want for my K-5 would be better AF... and it seems like the K-5 II/IIs offers that.

Getting used to a different camera... K-5 and K-3 are similar enough I'd guess...?

11-09-2014, 05:00 PM   #23
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
In the 3 years I've had my K5 I've taken maybe 5 minutes of video on it. I did go out and do some shooting with it today. I think I have settled what I need for the trip. I'll take my K-01, K5, 8-16, 18-35, 18-135, 1.7 AF adapter, and 70-200. That all fits very easily in my backpack.
11-09-2014, 05:07 PM   #24
Veteran Member

In the 3 years I've had my K5 I've taken maybe 5 minutes of video on it. I did go out and do some shooting with it today. I think I have settled what I need for the trip. I'll take my K-01, K5, 8-16, 18-35, 18-135, 1.7 AF adapter, and 70-200. That all fits very easily in my backpack.
Few things then for your trip in terms of video: Activate SR for video, it really helps on the K-5. Practice some manual focusing through the screen (it works best with shallow DoF), otherwise focus before shooting, cause there is no AF. And set it to 2 or 3 stars and 1920x1080. Skip the 1 star setting, there are too many artefacts. And bring memory. Lots of it. 32 GB is enough for maybe an hour of video...

Enjoy your trip!
11-09-2014, 06:11 PM   #25
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Looks like I have a K3 on the way after all. I scored a BNIB one for under 550, the only one that was there, and with the 2 year warranty card. Yep, I think I may have gotten the deal of the century here people.
11-09-2014, 06:25 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Looks like I have a K3 on the way after all. I scored a BNIB one for under 550, the only one that was there, and with the 2 year warranty card. Yep, I think I may have gotten the deal of the century here people.
Wow. Just wow.
11-09-2014, 06:29 PM   #27
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, I couldn't believe it. I paid with paypal for protection, and it sounds like it may even come with the grip too.
11-10-2014, 04:08 AM   #28
Veteran Member

So much for "having settled" what you are taking for the trip.
11-10-2014, 04:25 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Congratulations. Great deal!

In that case, for video: deactivate SR, don't move while shooting, try avoid shooting anything with too much detail. Turn of sharpening, shoot wide open... just try to avoid detail. Install the latest firmware.
11-10-2014, 05:11 AM   #30
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I probably will not shoot video. I never really did much. I'm a stills type of guy.