Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2014, 09:26 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Another issue is that airplane windows are double windows with a fairly thick vacuum gap separating them; this is done because the exterior windows get unspeakably cold, so they don't want passengers toughing them and getting instant frostbite or worse. (The gap is a vacuum so that heat transfer from exterior to interior is limited to black-body emission only.)

What it means for photography is double refraction. There's nothing you can do about at. Further, the upper atmosphere scatters blue light much more than other colors (that's why the sky is blue, remember), so you also have sigificant lateral chromatic aberration too.

11-09-2014, 12:07 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My windows are just one layer of about 4mm.

It is almost impossible to get what I would call an acceptable photo through airliner windows, or in fact through the windows of any pressurised aircraft (which are usually double glazed, due to the cold air outside).
11-09-2014, 06:27 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
It might be imperfections in the glass. shooting through glass should not be any different than a normal glass filter. But is the glass is hazy or distorted then you might have different results.

regards JK
11-09-2014, 06:49 AM   #19
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
I have noticed persistent problems with a K3 and the 17-70 DA, at 70mm.

It does seem a lot worse with the K3 than with the K5.
I have rather rare, but I have problems with focusing thru the window of my apartment with K200D and K-5IIs.

AF could miss...

11-09-2014, 10:23 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't know how the standard AF mode works. Could it be affected by shooting through a window, when the window is at an angle? The elements in a lens are normally at a right angle to the light.
11-11-2014, 07:13 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Autofocus is either phase detection or contrast detection - both of which can suffer a little through glass.

Have you tried other windows, just out of curiosity? As I mentioned, through my back door - triple pane sliding glass - I get focus but the images of the unusual birds visiting the feeders aren't what anyone would frame but are useful for identification and can be cute. I can usually see the distortion from the three glass layers in the images.