Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2014, 12:41 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I usually like some grain in my B&W street shots. especially if its in an old city. but its almost impossible to increase the ISO that much if its a bright sunny day.so i just add the grain in PP,

11-15-2014, 11:17 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by schnitzer79 Quote
I usually like some grain in my B&W street shots. especially if its in an old city. but its almost impossible to increase the ISO that much if its a bright sunny day.so i just add the grain in PP,
I too am attracted to grainy street scenes but I wonder if that is not largely a result of becoming used to grain in old film noire and artsy urban squalor photos from the pre color era.
11-15-2014, 11:22 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Sometimes I think that the grain gives a high contrast picture a feeling of harshness - like a harsh truth, a harsh reality, etc. Sometimes I think it adds a dreamy texture in lower contrast scenes like big sky landscapes. In both cases the effect is similar to an over-sharpened image. There is a certain appeal in that kind of presentation. It adds a human interpretation of emotion. A super clean picture can be more focused on the color or the subject matter vs. how that color and how that subject is presented.
11-15-2014, 12:48 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Sometimes I think that the grain gives a high contrast picture a feeling of harshness - like a harsh truth, a harsh reality, etc. Sometimes I think it adds a dreamy texture in lower contrast scenes like big sky landscapes. In both cases the effect is similar to an over-sharpened image. There is a certain appeal in that kind of presentation. It adds a human interpretation of emotion. A super clean picture can be more focused on the color or the subject matter vs. how that color and how that subject is presented.
Thanks, Boris. This is nice, objective description of grain and its uses.

11-17-2014, 05:36 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I rarely do straight monochrome - I tend to add just a bit of sepia, or go full sepia. While sepia/monochrome is the more likely candidate, low light color photos also can give a more realistic feel with the right amount of added grain. In the past, I wouldn't go out of my way for added grain, but in Capture One v8 it is so easy to give a subtle added grain (and in a very flexible way to get the right look) that I find myself doing it more often. In fact, it can be so good that I will use it to essentially mask an unnatural digital noise pattern. This allows me to keep the image sharper overall with a more-pleasing grain.

My perspective is undoubtedly colored by my history in film. On the other hand, a low light totally clean image tends to bother me a bit, as well. The aesthetic just doesn't look right.

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 11-20-2014 at 05:21 PM.
11-17-2014, 07:00 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Generally I do not like the noise you get from shooting at high ISOs but I do occasionally add film grain to certain shots during PP. This shot is an example of one where I added both film grain and some scratches to certain parts of the image in an attempt to boost the atmosphere and mood. As some would say, a more vintage look and feel.

I like that. He has a great face, the expression is wonderful, and I really like the B&W and your use of grain...
11-17-2014, 07:31 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I am so pleased with how Pentax has improved its noise handling (going from a K20D to a K-5). The high ISO noise from my K-5 is the most film grain looking out of all the digital brands I have shot with, that my default auto ISO range is set to top out at 2200, and I use that routinely with no regrets.

11-17-2014, 07:37 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I like it on black and white film or digital grain that simulates black and white film.

I particularly hate the chroma noise of the Canon sensors- one of the reasons I switched.
11-18-2014, 10:35 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not a fan of grain, but not especially bothered by it, either.
11-20-2014, 01:01 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Depends on what you're going for with the picture. Some noise can be acceptable, especially in certain applications. As some people have already pointed out, old film-grain appearance images and film noir effects are the most common applications of such but there are other uses such as using the noise to make certain PP effects pop more when you apply them. Just really saves the step of adding noise in your graphical editor.
11-25-2014, 03:02 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't mind noise, but I rarely go through the steps of adding it because I always wonder about the realness.... It starts to look odd when I add it. I tend to work with the noise that might already be there (and barely provide any NR). I actually find NR is a sure way to make an image look unnatural. Leaving the noise and needing less sharpening always feel ideal for me. This philosophy has come from my K5 and is still working with my K3. With my k10d, I was noise obsessed because it was really bad with the chroma noise and banding. Pentax has done a good job of removing that chroma noise issue that I find as the biggest distraction when it shows up.
11-26-2014, 05:46 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
I don't mind noise, but I rarely go through the steps of adding it because I always wonder about the realness.... It starts to look odd when I add it. I tend to work with the noise that might already be there (and barely provide any NR). I actually find NR is a sure way to make an image look unnatural. Leaving the noise and needing less sharpening always feel ideal for me. This philosophy has come from my K5 and is still working with my K3. With my k10d, I was noise obsessed because it was really bad with the chroma noise and banding. Pentax has done a good job of removing that chroma noise issue that I find as the biggest distraction when it shows up.
Yes, occasionally natural noise may add character to a picture but added noise just seems to defeat the purpose of high quality lenses and cameras. In very rare cases it may add character but, at least to me, usually seems cliched.
11-30-2014, 06:50 AM   #43
Pentaxian

For those of us who shot film for years, high ISO noise isn't much of an issue. I shot Tri-X for years in low light and I can get similar results with my digital shots. IMO, noise isn't as much an issue if you print a lot of your shots, which I do. Looking at your shots with a high res large screen monitor makes the noise issue worse.
11-30-2014, 07:44 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
For those of us who shot film for years, high ISO noise isn't much of an issue. I shot Tri-X for years in low light and I can get similar results with my digital shots. IMO, noise isn't as much an issue if you print a lot of your shots, which I do. Looking at your shots with a high res large screen monitor makes the noise issue worse.
Good observation. I need to start printing more.
12-10-2014, 09:36 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Is this what people consider as 'unacceptable' grain?

Last edited by sherrvonne; 06-12-2016 at 05:35 PM.