Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2008, 07:37 PM   #1
Forum Member

K10 + 540 Flash + Pocket Wizard

I have been trying to figure this out for some time now but still having troubles. I am trying to hook up my 540 flash and a pocket wizard so I can remotly fire my Alien Bees as backlight.

What exactly do I need? Sorry if this was answered a while back.

Thanks in advance!

05-19-2008, 09:50 AM   #2

You'll need an adapter that goes in the flash's hotshoe that has a PC cord plug-in on it. Then you plug the pocket wizard into the adapter.
05-19-2008, 12:19 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Something like this

FlashZebra.com: PC to Flash Hotshoe Adapter (Item #0065)

I haven't used that one yet, but I have an order on the way from Lon at FlashZebra.
05-19-2008, 07:31 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I actually have someting very similar but the top of the Hot Shoe isn't hot. If I use something like that would I lose p-ttl?

05-20-2008, 09:58 AM   #5

You're going to lose p-TTL anyway. Right now the only ways to get off camera p-TTL operation are wireless using the built in flash (or another 540) as the Commander, or wired using the F5P cords and the Shoe Adapter F.

If the top of the shoe you have isn't "Hot" (doesn't have that contact in the centre), you won't be able to fire the flash through it. It's what's known as a "Cold" shoe.
05-20-2008, 10:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcfranchina Quote
I have been trying to figure this out for some time now but still having troubles. I am trying to hook up my 540 flash and a pocket wizard so I can remotly fire my Alien Bees as backlight.

What exactly do I need? Sorry if this was answered a while back.

Thanks in advance!
Just dispense with the pocket wizards and use the flash in M mode. This should fire the ABs (which should have a magic eye sensor).
05-20-2008, 11:48 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Just dispense with the pocket wizards and use the flash in M mode. This should fire the ABs (which should have a magic eye sensor).
Steve, I think we were all assuming that the 540 would be used off camera.

05-20-2008, 07:34 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
a couple new ideas.
option1
Pentax k10 on a straight bracket, 540 mounted in hot shoe. Pocket wizard attached to bracket with optical slave plugged straight into it.
Sounds logical but other people will be firing my lights.

option 2
Pentax k10 with hot shoe adaptor with pocket wizard on it and the f5p cable going to an off shoe adaptor with 540. So the 540 should still be p-ttl right?
05-20-2008, 10:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

a couple new ideas.
option1
Pentax k10 on a straight bracket, 540 mounted in hot shoe. Pocket wizard attached to bracket with optical slave plugged straight into it.

option 2
Pentax k10 with hot shoe adaptor with pocket wizard on it and the f5p cable going to an off shoe adaptor with 540. So the 540 should still be p-ttl right?
Why do you need the 540 in this setup? Just curious as to why you would need a PTTL flash with manual flashes (that wont be registered during the PTTL preflash). Why not just switch it all to manual?
05-20-2008, 10:39 PM   #10

a couple new ideas.
option1

option 2
In option 1, the 540 is triggering (via optical slave), a Pocket Wizard, which is triggering another Pocket Wizard on your Alien Bee? Since you say you'll have the problem of other people triggering your setup, skip the middle man and leave the Pocket Wizards out of it.

In option 2, if I'm reading it correctly, I'm pretty sure you have one hotshoe too few. All the Pentax TTL cables and shoes just move the dedicated shoe off the camera, they don't give you more connections for non TTL applications. Which leaves us with the question, "How to trigger the Pocket Wizard?".

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Why do you need the 540 in this setup? Just curious as to why you would need a PTTL flash with manual flashes (that wont be registered during the PTTL preflash). Why not just switch it all to manual?
Agreed. The few times I've used the 540 in P-TTL for grip and grin party shots, it consistently underexposes and I end up switching to Auto. I can't imagine getting an accurate and consistent exposure mixing TTL and non-TTL flashes.
05-21-2008, 05:39 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Id wanna keep my 540 for my main light and standard flash. The Alienbee would be just as a background light to increase ambient light. This way when I shoot at a wedding the backgrounds dont look dark or all black.