Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2014, 09:28 PM   #1

Normal behaviour or sensor on the way out?

Hi Folks,

I often use raw for it's ability to push the exposure in Photoshop. However recently I have been finding some strange banding when pushing (too?) far. In this picture, which is obviously too dark to be useful but which is a good example of the problem, you see green banding to the left and to the centre right. Pushing exposure should make general noise,no?

Anyone else seen this banding? Any ideas?

Regards

Brett

K7 Iso 400 1/10 sec - (cant remember which lens but was probably kit lens...)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
11-08-2014, 09:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can see the problem, but the question is - What do you get if you take and ordinary shot at ISO 3200 of a white surface? Do you see banding then?
11-08-2014, 10:48 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a K-7 and get similar results in similar conditions. I would not worry too much unless you are having problems in normal lighting.
11-08-2014, 11:22 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

The banding looks like normal behavior for a K7 if you push too far. There are different types of noise, some is random while other noise follows patterns specific to the camera and the sensor.

Dark frame subtraction tries to remove the predictable pattern noise, but that's going off on a tangent.

11-09-2014, 01:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks like normal banding from the older sensor, even cameras like Canon 5D MII suffers from severe banding when pushed. Every sensor will show some banding when pushed to the limit.
11-09-2014, 02:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If it's the sensor it will get a lot worse (trust me)--when I had a sensor go bad (K100D) banding was evident in properly exposed images. So my suggestion is to keep an eye out for that (n.b. it was oddly hit or miss, not appearing in every image but at random).
11-09-2014, 07:59 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

As others have said: if you do not get this banding when you take photos in proper light it is not likely to be a real problem. As I remember poor low light performance was one of the things which helped me decide to upgrade to the K5 from the K7.
07-15-2015, 03:47 PM   #8

Was this after a while of shooting? I used to see ISO 3200 banding with my K100D and was told it was due to the sensor getting hot. This correlated with my experience.

Sorry about necro'ing such an old thread. Wanted to post in case it helps someone else.