Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2014, 10:16 PM   #16

Do we expect this to be the new normal when it comes to K-5 IIs pricing?

11-15-2014, 06:25 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dhp. Quote
Do we expect this to be the new normal when it comes to K-5 IIs pricing?
Only for a short time. The price will continue to decline slowly as new models are introduced.
11-15-2014, 06:38 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
This is a very good idea. Camera prices will continue to fall. Lens prices are pretty stable. Besides the DA*60-250 will make a far bigger difference in your pictures than the difference between the K5iis and the K3, wonderful as both cameras are. DA* 60-250 is a prime reason to stay with Pentax. A magic, multipurpose lens.
It is interesting to see that the K5iis might still be in production. I would not have expected it to still be being produced in May 2014.
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Oh, that makes me happy. I'm much more interested in the IIs (or II) than the K-3... it's the, for me, by far better camera.
Since initially going digital and acquiring the K100 - eight years ago, I have always been a generation (or two) behind (easier on the Chancellor of the Exchequer - along with "happy wife, happy life"). I think that I have decided to swap my current K5 with the IIs. I like the sensor a bit better especially for the higher ISO when shooting astro and the Milky Way. The better white balance would have been nice - but at an extra 50+% it does not make a lot of sense - this is a hobby. If it were a profession and a job, it would be different. Plus, my current L-Bracket will fit.

I have really not put much effort into the longer lenses, however with switching from the A*300/f4 to the 60-250 with going to a pretty much all AF set of equipment.

Lenses (and perhaps a 1.4 TC) first, then see how the pricing on the body goes on Black Friday/Cyber Monday. I really don't need the flash and if the body goes through $499 - the envelope in my sock drawer get raided. Then again, years ago - a friend up in Seattle had been saving in a special "hidden savings account" for a sail boat when he retired. He was within 3 months of retiring and found his boat, at a wonderful price. Went to the bank to find his "special account" only had a balance of $1. It turns out his wife, raided the account to give their daughter a down payment on a house. Our desks were next to each other - the phone call was an exercise in diplomacy. "Norma, the $60,000 we lent Jenny - where did you take the money from?"

11-15-2014, 07:59 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
K5ll

QuoteOriginally posted by royden Quote
Did I mess up not getting cam/grip/64 MB card for $596 at B&H/Adorama?
Well, I just did it. Ordered the B&H package for $596. Should get it 11/19/14...a month before my 71st birthday. Contributions welcome.

11-16-2014, 08:11 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations! You will love the camera. It has almost everything the K3 has plus it is a bit lighter and more compact. Your photos will be astounding!
11-16-2014, 09:46 AM   #21

Original Poster
K5ll

Congratulations! You will love the camera. It has almost everything the K3 has plus it is a bit lighter and more compact. Your photos will be astounding!
Thanks Mike, It may go down some but the grip etc may go away, so I pull the string. Hope I love the size. I like the feel of the 20D.
11-16-2014, 09:59 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Three years ago I upgraded from the K20 for lower noise along with better dynamic range, especially in ambient low light - ISO 80 is wonderful. The K20 is a larger body, and I really appreciated the slight reduction in size. Also, the external shutter release plug is on the right side, so it does not interfere with a L-Bracket, which is attached to my K5 100% of the time. That sounds minor, but as it turns out was a big deal for me, as I discovered it just made handling so much easier.

My K5 has been so good, that is the only thing holding me back from just ordering the IIs. I figure wait till turkey day to see how the lenses go, and then the body. Perhaps even a slightly better price....

11-16-2014, 12:04 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
For another $50 you can also get an AF-540 FGZ Flash to go along with your new kit! Don't need the flash?? Sell it and / or the grip, K3 body is then ridiculously cheap!
Thanks Al_K....

that's a very intriguing idea and I see your point how getting/selling the flash would lower the actual cost of the body....still not sure I can afford it given that it's a very expensive time of year, but it does change the calculus considerably.

Thanks again. Take care.
11-17-2014, 03:42 PM   #24

Original Poster
K5lls now $546.00 at B&H

Well, I just did it. Ordered the B&H package for $596. Should get it 11/19/14...a month before my 71st birthday. Contributions welcome.
Anyone here knows if B&H will credit me $50.00 on my purchase of 2 days ago? Or do I have to call/email them. Thanks.
11-17-2014, 04:36 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone here knows if B&H will credit me $50.00 on my purchase of 2 days ago? Or do I have to call/email them. Thanks.
You'll have to contact them, I think. I've read of similar situations with B&H, and after contacting them things worked out.
11-17-2014, 05:03 PM   #26

Original Poster
Thanks luftfluss. I did a search and found an email address for some one at B&H.
11-18-2014, 12:34 PM   #27

Original Poster
Kudos to B&H> Just got an Email from Ben. $50.00 going back to my paypal account
11-19-2014, 09:08 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kudos to B&H> Just got an Email from Ben. $50.00 going back to my paypal account

Awesome!
11-20-2014, 10:54 AM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Awesome!
Can't wait to play with it. Get back to Georgia 11/24/14. I've been made to understand if the price drop further I'll get back the difference providing this happens within 30 days of purchase. I can't see this camera dropping further.
11-23-2014, 08:44 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can't wait to play with it. Get back to Georgia 11/24/14. I've been made to understand if the price drop further I'll get back the difference providing this happens within 30 days of purchase. I can't see this camera dropping further.
Of course it will. When new stock runs out there may be a temporary price rise but the price will continue to fall. That is just the way of consumer electronics. But you have a wonderful camera now which will give you years of use and pleasure. That is not diminished in any way if someone else gets it for a lower price in few days, weeks or months. Congratulations on your purchase.