Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-09-2014, 07:13 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was at that trade show and I thought that the Ricoh-Pentax display was just as good as any of the other brands. I did notice that very impressive telescope Dr_Who!
The rep. that I talked to seemed to be very knowledgeable and approachable. I have the K-5 IIs and he brought up the K-3 as a worthwhile upgrade.
My issue is that I want a DSLR with a tilt screen and I will not upgrade until one is available. I like low angle shots but I'm old and while I can get down to take low angle's I have a real hard time getting back up. As Pentax has a weather sealed tilt screen on the 645Z I'm hoping that it won't be long until we see it on a APSC . The rep. hinted that if I wait until early 2015 that I wouldn't be disappointed.

11-09-2014, 07:15 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I'm trying to wrap my head around "The power to wonder what if is always with you." Despite being a confirmed
abuser of the English language, that sentence makes my head hurt.

I'll offer an alternative for Ricoh: "What if? = Can do!"

Same sentiment, much easier to read and process, much more immediate impact. A FA31 in exchange would be
just fine on this end.

The sentence makes perfect sense if properly punctuated: "The power to wonder 'what if' is always with you." - referring, of course, to curiosity and discovery. It's not the catchiest marketing slogan ever, but it's not without meaning.
11-09-2014, 07:15 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JRMax Quote
I was at that trade show and I thought that the Ricoh-Pentax display was just as good as any of the other brands. I did notice that very impressive telescope Dr_Who!
The rep. that I talked to seemed to be very knowledgeable and approachable. I have the K-5 IIs and he brought up the K-3 as a worthwhile upgrade.
My issue is that I want a DSLR with a tilt screen and I will not upgrade until one is available. I like low angle shots but I'm old and while I can get down to take low angle's I have a real hard time getting back up. As Pentax has a weather sealed tilt screen on the 645Z I'm hoping that it won't be long until we see it on a APSC . The rep. hinted that if I wait until early 2015 that I wouldn't be disappointed.
I had exactly the same thought when I saw the 645Z. I bet their next offering will have a tilt screen. Let's hope that's included on the FF!
11-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had the opportunity to talk to you at the Ricoh booth and your photographs were amazing. Ricoh had a professional booth and are represented well in Canada.

Dale

11-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I'm trying to wrap my head around "The power to wonder what if is always with you." Despite being a confirmed

Same sentiment, much easier to read and process, much more immediate impact. A FA31 in exchange would be
just fine on this end.
After all the attempts to explain that sentence, I still don't get it... However, that's probably the biggest Pentax display I've seen in Canada so good news. But it looks like they're getting their marketing material direct from Japan :-P

---------- Post added 11-09-14 at 11:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
The sentence makes perfect sense if properly punctuated: "The power to wonder 'what if' is always with you." - referring, of course, to curiosity and discovery. It's not the catchiest marketing slogan ever, but it's not without meaning.
Ah! That makes sense!
11-09-2014, 09:26 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JRMax Quote
I used to live in Edmonton, many years ago. That McBain display looks very impressive to me.

Just wondering, is the Pentax brand, commonly available in Alberta stores ?
11-10-2014, 03:06 AM   #22

Looks like a decent stand. Was there a lot of smiling as well....hehe

11-10-2014, 05:44 AM   #23
Forum Member

What lens is it in the "glass-box" (bottom left of the box) in the first picture? It looks massive! Btw thanks for sharing
11-10-2014, 07:51 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Congrats. A very good initiative. Especially because many astro photographers don't know that a Pentax camera can take very good astro images.

Your mount is an H-EQ5?
Indeed it is a H-EQ5 mount.
11-10-2014, 07:54 AM   #25
Veteran Member

just fine on this end.
Nah. It just needs quotes to make it not hurt.

QuoteQuote:
The power to wonder "What if?" is always with you.
Now, what their point is beyond trying to sound deep and maybe a nod towards Apple and "Think Different," I'm not sure.

---------- Post added 11-10-14 at 09:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by -wikstrom- Quote
What lens is it in the "glass-box" (bottom left of the box) in the first picture? It looks massive! Btw thanks for sharing
Maybe SMC pentax-FA* 645 300mm F4 ED [IF] Reviews - 645 Telephoto Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database without the hood?
11-10-2014, 08:01 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I used to live in Edmonton, many years ago. That McBain display looks very impressive to me.

Just wondering, is the Pentax brand, commonly available in Alberta stores ?
Yes McBains carries Pentax which has many stores in the city, London Drugs carries Pentax, and so did Don's Photo, but I believe they are closing or already closed. Vistek doesn't usually have Pentax in stock but will bring it in on request.
11-10-2014, 08:18 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
Yes McBains carries Pentax which has many stores in the city, London Drugs carries Pentax, and so did Don's Photo, but I believe they are closing or already closed. Vistek doesn't usually have Pentax in stock but will bring it in on request.
Good to hear that these Alberta stores carry Pentax.

Sad to see Don's close their Edmonton store. They have also closed their Brandon, Mb. store. Henry's closed two out of their three Winnipeg stores, I think in the past year or so.

Conditions seem to be tough for the retail camera outlet business.