Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-09-2014, 02:18 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh Booth at McBain Tradeshow

I had the lucky opportunity to have my telescope setup on display in the Ricoh/Pentax booth at the Edmonton Photographic Tradeshow by McBain Camera the other weekend. I had quite a few people come to me with interest and questions. I thought it was a very interesting experience as I've never done anything like that before.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
11-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice to see Ricoh-Pentax reaching out and trying to get known...
I'm not an astro expert (quite the contrary actually, just barely looked at the moon and confirmed that Saturn indeed has rings with a cheapo reflector ), and your reflector setup looks like the real deal...
So congratulations both to you and Ricoh!
11-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #3

Location: Rainforest of Canada Vancouver Island and the sagebrush of southern Okanagan, BC
Ricoh and McBain Camera

Cool to see, thanks for the share. A lot of my Pentax gear I have ordered from McBain, items usually arrive here in Victoria in less than 20 hours.
11-09-2014, 03:30 PM   #4

Thanks for sharing.

I can't wait for all the criticism from the negative nancys about the size of the booth, Pentax banners and amateurish displays.

11-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Thanks for sharing.

I can't wait for all the criticism from the negative nancys about the size of the booth, Pentax banners and amateurish displays.
Looks ok to me...
There's neatly arranged leaflets, there's colored camera bodies, there's a pro-looking tele, there's ruggedized compacts, there's niche markets (the telescope), brands are strongly stated, the colors are quite consistent (black, red, white) and there's a tidy lens display case...
11-09-2014, 04:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Congrats. A very good initiative. Especially because many astro photographers don't know that a Pentax camera can take very good astro images.

Your mount is an H-EQ5?
11-09-2014, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

I'm trying to wrap my head around "The power to wonder what if is always with you." Despite being a confirmed
abuser of the English language, that sentence makes my head hurt.

I'll offer an alternative for Ricoh: "What if? = Can do!"

Same sentiment, much easier to read and process, much more immediate impact. A FA31 in exchange would be
just fine on this end.

11-09-2014, 04:41 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I'm trying to wrap my head around "The power to wonder what if is always with you." Despite being a confirmed
abuser of the English language, that sentence makes my head hurt.

I'll offer an alternative for Ricoh: "What if? = Can do!"

Same sentiment, much easier to read and process, much more immediate impact. A FA31 in exchange would be
just fine on this end.
You're right. That is a scary sentence! Possibly a "lost in translation" moment?
11-09-2014, 04:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
You're right. That is a scary sentence! Possibly a "lost in translation" moment?
I was going to suggest that, but didn't want to make stereotypical assumptions. Just as likely, they let an
exec do the slogans to save on the marketing budget.

At least it didn't read something like: "Pentax is good, no?"
11-09-2014, 04:58 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I was going to suggest that, but didn't want to make stereotypical assumptions. Just as likely, they let an
exec do the slogans to save on the marketing budget.

At least it didn't read something like: "Pentax is good, no?"
Reading some overseas printed manuals can be particularly scary. My son's new radio-controlled 4x4 is a good example. It's English - and it's not English, is the best way to describe it.
11-09-2014, 05:26 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess the various comments above on language are meant well but it does seem odd in a world where most or all of our equipment comes from countries where English is not the native language to always be complaining if "our company" doesn't phrase things in simple North American dialect. Although content of the phrase "imagine what if" is silly the idea is clear. It sounds like just the thing a contemporary American ad agency would dream up. Sort of like 'An Army of One."
11-09-2014, 05:44 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah Pentax ! It's about time...
11-09-2014, 05:58 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Pentax has long had some translation problems. They need to hire an editor (such as me) to refine what their translators render. The slogan here is trying to say: "The power to wonder 'What if?' is always with you." (Not that it is such a great slogan, but that's the intended meaning.) They are pushing the "always with you" theme, I think, because of the compactness of the K-S1 and Q-S1.
11-09-2014, 06:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I guess the various comments above on language are meant well but it does seem odd in a world where most or all of our equipment comes from countries where English is not the native language to always be complaining if "our company" doesn't phrase things in simple North American dialect. Although content of the phrase "imagine what if" is silly the idea is clear. It sounds like just the thing a contemporary American ad agency would dream up. Sort of like 'An Army of One."
"An Army of One" may be a contradiction but it's a simple analogy that readily conveys a descriptive image.
"The Power To Imagine What If Is Always With You." would be cumbersome and clunky in any language.

And to be fair, Bonjour Croissant is an abomination. Poor communication is not endemic to English
translations.

---------- Post added 11-09-2014 at 07:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
Pentax has long had some translation problems. They need to hire an editor (such as me) to refine what their translators render. The slogan here is trying to say: "The power to wonder 'What if?' is always with you." (Not that it is such a great slogan, but that's the intended meaning.) They are pushing the "always with you" theme, I think, because of the compactness of the K-S1 and Q-S1.
I think you are indeed correct. It's still clunky but the added punctuation helps the awkward if > is transition.

Last edited by tvdtvdtvd; 11-09-2014 at 09:34 PM.
11-09-2014, 06:31 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
Thanks for clarifying. Those " " ? simbols really make all the difference!