Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2008, 03:35 AM   #1
Pentaxian

K10D SR test (by myself)

Hi,

Many times we read that in body SR is not effective, especially with telelenses, stabilisation in lens is much better etc.

So, yesterday I decided to make DPReview style SR test by myself

DPReview have done such tests with Canon and Nikon stabilised lenses on 35mm camera at 200mm therefore I did such testing at 135mm on my 1.5 cropped K10D.

Here are my results:

So, in camera SR gave me exactly 2 extra stops.

Canon 70-200mm f/2,8 for DPReview testers gave 2,5 stops and Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 gave 1,5 stops.

So, after all K10D performed a little bit worse than Canon lens and a little bit better than Nikkor lens.

What do you think?

--
Edvinas

05-19-2008, 03:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All in all, pretty accurate.

I've found I can hand-hold my K100D & kit lens @ 50mm for about 1/2 sec. and still get a sharp(ish) picture.
05-19-2008, 06:36 AM   #3

Yes, a good result is very much about the technique of holding a camera steady. Therefore, it's almost impossible to produce accurate tests as you'd need to put the camera on a tripod, which would, um, kind of defeat the object.

I, too, can get acceptably sharp shots with a handheld 1/2 sec exposure using SR. This, IMO, is one of the great advances of photographic technology.
05-19-2008, 07:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Whats the population of the data?

05-19-2008, 07:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
Whats the population of the data?
What do you mean? Sorry, English isn't my native language.
05-19-2008, 10:37 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
What do you mean? Sorry, English isn't my native language.
BBear was talking about the number of tests you ran - population of data is a term used in statistical analysis to indicate the probable accuracy of the sample used. More population, less chance of false returns.

Stupid example, coin flip, heads or tails. If the population is 1, the result is absolutely meaningless, statistically. The more times you flip the coin, the more chance there is that your results will converge on 50% heads, 50% tails.

Hope this helps.
05-19-2008, 10:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
BBear was talking about the number of tests you ran

Yep. I ask this because obviously you are not posting the pictures and the categories [Sharp / Mild Blur / Heavy Blur / Very Heavy blur] are very subjective, so the more data you have the more accurate the results.
05-19-2008, 10:51 AM   #8
JMS

Give me the complete data and I'll run an appropriate statistical test.

05-19-2008, 12:56 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I did this simple test the same way as dpreview do: 10 pictures with SR off, 10 pictures SR on. Then one f-stop slower shutter speed and again 10 picures with SR off and 10 pictures with SR on. etc. In total I have made 100 pictures

Picture rating was (all samples are 100% crops):

sharp - picture is absolutely sharp viewing at 100%

mild blur - picture seems sharp when viewed resized to fit my screen, however viewing at 100% reveals small camera shake

Heavy blur - picture seems not sharp when viewed resized to fit my monitor

Very heavy blur - completely washed out picture.

Last edited by Edvinas; 05-19-2008 at 01:10 PM.
05-19-2008, 01:38 PM   #10
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

BBear's right.
There'll be an element of subjective interpretation on how blurry a picture is, but is still reasonably reliable (for the same person analysing the data, preferably with blinding of the EXIF data when interpreting to prevent user bias).

Then there'll need to be an adequate number of tests taken to consistently confirm the improvement of sharpness of images with SR on, enough to have the 'statistical power' to prove the difference 'beyond reasonable doubt' (i.e. with a 95% confidence level).

Apologies if this is a whole lot of mumbo-jumbo...
This is a good test by Edvinas, and can be made more scientific with the right conditions and definitions.
05-19-2008, 02:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
This is a good test by Edvinas, and can be made more scientific with the right conditions and definitions.

Absolutely. It is very easy to bias the results in this kinda of experimentation, because is very subjective and even the test procedures are hard to reproduce (one time you may feel tired and shake more than others and so on).

But luckily, these results are valid for the person that matters the most: you.

You definitely have a great grasp of the capabilities of the SR in your camera and that should be satisfactory for you.

Hecka, anyone interested in the results should actually try the same procedures and come up with their own results!

Great job man!
05-20-2008, 07:35 AM   #12
JMS

I'm actually working on an objective method of measuring blur, and I'll post the results when I'm done.
05-20-2008, 03:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
BBear's right.
There'll be an element of subjective interpretation on how blurry a picture is, but is still reasonably reliable (for the same person analysing the data, preferably with blinding of the EXIF data when interpreting to prevent user bias).
Ideally you'd have someone take the pictures who has no idea what the settings are just to prevent trying to hold steady more for the SR or relaxing when its on.
05-20-2008, 06:18 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JMS Quote
I'm actually working on an objective method of measuring blur, and I'll post the results when I'm done.
That would be relatively easy, no? On the face of it anyhow. Just count the numbe rof pixels a feature has moved on the photo. Sounds like fun