Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2014, 03:21 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Upgrade?

I had purchased a used K10D to fill in, and use as my backup body when I get my new body; either a K50, or K5IIs. However, I'm finding the capabilities of the K10D to be quite awesome, and now am wondering if it would indeed be worthwhile to buy a new body. Main thing I want is extremely sharp, excellent color photos, but am thinking better lenses would be the probable answer to this; more so than a new body.

Any thoughts?

11-10-2014, 03:24 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both the K-50 and K-5 blow the K10D's image quality out of the water. The K-5 has slightly better ergonomics and a magnesium alloy body, so you might prefer it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-10-2014, 03:34 PM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well Adam, you just cost me some money!

Seriously, I thank you for telling me that, as that definitely is what I needed to know. With the prices dropping, it looks like the K5IIs will find it's way into my Christmas stocking! The magnesium alloy body sounds like a very nice body to have, as well.
11-10-2014, 03:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

In my opinion, the potential effect of a 700$ lens on my photography is far greater than of a similarly priced camera.

If it isn't broken, I wouldn't like people telling me it is. Others may disagree o course.

11-10-2014, 04:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
In my opinion, the potential effect of a 700$ lens on my photography is far greater than of a similarly priced camera.

If it isn't broken, I wouldn't like people telling me it is. Others may disagree o course.
You are right, but at the actual price, the k5IIs is a great bargain!!
11-10-2014, 04:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can see merits in either argument. I was happy with my K10 and DA 18-250 for several years. Then I went on an African safari. While I got some great shots, I wasn't at all happy with my dawn/dusk photos (times when animals are more active). I got back and started looking at upgrades. I started with the K5 and my world changed. The improved high iso performance allowed me to shoot in bad light and still get good results. Next was a lens upgrade (FA 50mm f1.7). After that, LBA took over my life and I've been arguing about camera gear with my wife ever since.
11-10-2014, 04:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
LBA took over my life and I've been arguing about camera gear with my wife ever since.

This not happens to me so far, just because I don't have a wife!

I really wanted the K5IIs as first DSLR even if I know that a K50 is enough for me, but unfortunately I couldn't spend that amount.
I am just advising it now because for 596 $ is impossible to regret it.

Cameras get old and sometimes just stop to work, if you have the possibility to buy a new one and getting this huge upgrade with a good price, you can sell the old body before it stops to work.

11-10-2014, 04:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

To upgrade or not to do it it all depends of your photography style.. idont think that somebody that shoots just during the day might need High ISO.. or somebody that never do burst shoot might need it.. or HDR.. or if never use it under the rain or dust.. so it all depends.. whenever you fill that there is another body that CAN do it better than the one that you have and you NEED it.. so.. then is good chance to change.

Compare a K10D with a K5iis ( or similar ) is something like comparing an old 80s car with a brand new 2015, both are just just in different categories... but for some people the old 80s car could be enough for the kind of ride that they do, and perhaps dont really need electric windows, ac, gps, etc, etc ..

K5iis is a great great great camera and you wont be disappointed with it.
11-10-2014, 05:18 PM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I like the car comparison! Yes, at the current price the K5IIs is indeed a real bargain. I have no intention of getting rid of my K10D, as I want to have a backup body. I learned this the hard way when I had to send another make of camera less than a year old in for repair, and I was left with no camera.
11-10-2014, 07:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I just recently upgraded to a K-3 after having the K10D since 2007. The K-3 is quickly proving to be a more capable
camera in almost all respects. Autofocus is notably more responsive both in speed and low-light accuracy. Buttons
and menus are as intuitive as ever, being if anything more robust with even more features to play with. Many of those
features are silly toys, like the effect filters, but others are quite useful like LiveView and Catch In Focus. The K10D
has only one advantage over the K-3, a slightly better grip, being better proportioned for my palm and fingers. But
this is like saying a 240D has a better steering wheel than a 300D, as the the K-3 grip is still quite comfortable and
confident.