Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Pentax camera reviews

I've been looking at some of the Pentax camera reviews in the Forum and am a bit confused. The technical details of each camera are given in great detail, including the image quality for each. However, I don't see any mention of the lens that was used in the reviews. Is one specific kit lens used throughout? If so, why is this not stated . I also note that each camera has a different image quality rating, so that if the same lens is used then it must be the camera itself that causes the different ratings. I always thought that the lens was the component that was predominantly responsible for image quality. Any comments?

11-10-2014, 05:03 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is why there are in-depth reviews and user reviews. If you're looking for a carefully-controlled testing environment, turn to the in-depth reviews. In user reviews, you'll get user opinions and feedback based on their uses/needs, and the variety of scenarios presented there can in turn also be rather helpful.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-10-2014, 05:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by P. Soo Quote
I've been looking at some of the Pentax camera reviews in the Forum and am a bit confused. The technical details of each camera are given in great detail, including the image quality for each. However, I don't see any mention of the lens that was used in the reviews. Is one specific kit lens used throughout? If so, why is this not stated . I also note that each camera has a different image quality rating, so that if the same lens is used then it must be the camera itself that causes the different ratings. I always thought that the lens was the component that was predominantly responsible for image quality. Any comments?
I don;t know about all the reviews, but certainly in the K-3 review the reviewer makes mention of the lens used and compares it with the review for the K-5ii which was reviewed using the same lens. Of course, lens will have an impact but the sensor does too, so the aim must be to find an objective way to evaluate the camera rather than a specific lens.
11-10-2014, 06:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This is why there are in-depth reviews and user reviews. If you're looking for a carefully-controlled testing environment, turn to the in-depth reviews. In user reviews, you'll get user opinions and feedback based on their uses/needs, and the variety of scenarios presented there can in turn also be rather helpful.
Hi Adam. I WAS looking at the in-depth reviews in the Forum, not the general user reviews. I saw no info on the lenses that were used from camera to camera. Very strange.

---------- Post added 11-10-14 at 08:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I don;t know about all the reviews, but certainly in the K-3 review the reviewer makes mention of the lens used and compares it with the review for the K-5ii which was reviewed using the same lens. Of course, lens will have an impact but the sensor does too, so the aim must be to find an objective way to evaluate the camera rather than a specific lens.
I completely agree Mark. One needs to stick to a standard lens and see what each camera can do with it.

11-10-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi Adam. I WAS looking at the in-depth reviews in the Forum, not the general user reviews. I saw no info on the lenses that were used from camera to camera. Very strange.

---------- Post added 11-10-14 at 08:49 PM ----------

I completely agree Mark. One needs to stick to a standard lens and see what each camera can do with it.
Which cameras were you inquiring about?
11-10-2014, 08:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bass3587 Quote
Which cameras were you inquiring about?
Hi Bass. I wasn't thinking of any specific camera. I just wanted to see, out of curiosity, which Pentax cameras were top of the line in performance. I found that there was little, or no, information on which lens each camera was tested with. If each camera was tested with a different lens then what does a comparison of image quality for the various cameras mean?

Let me add that I was referring to the section in the Forum on "Pentax Camera Reviews" which gave detailed reviews of the K-30, K-5, and
K-3. I saw no info on the lenses used with each camera.

Last edited by psoo; 11-10-2014 at 09:01 PM.
11-10-2014, 09:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

K30: Review: Pentax K-30 - Image Quality | PentaxForums.com Reviews
K5: Review: Pentax K-5 - Image Tests | PentaxForums.com Reviews
k3: it looks like the 35 Limited was used the most here: Review: Pentax K-3 - Moire | PentaxForums.com Reviews as well as quite a few more here: Review: Pentax K-3 - Sample Photos | PentaxForums.com Reviews
11-11-2014, 04:53 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the information Bass. I still think that any review of a camera must include full details of the lens. Otherwise it's like somebody writing a review of a sports car in an auto magazine without giving the engine specifications.

11-11-2014, 05:52 AM   #9
Banned

Thanks for the information Bass. I still think that any review of a camera must include full details of the lens. Otherwise it's like somebody writing a review of a sports car in an auto magazine without giving the engine specifications.

You may need to look again, each of those reviews you mention DO state which lens was used.
11-11-2014, 01:23 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
You may need to look again, each of those reviews you mention DO state which lens was used.
Hi Al:

Maybe we are both looking at different places. When I look at the reviews of theses cameras by contributors to the Forum, I find that the vast majority don't say which lens they are using. I assume it must be the kit lens that comes with the camera, but again I'm not sure.
11-11-2014, 04:19 PM   #11
Banned

Hi Adam. I WAS looking at the in-depth reviews in the Forum, not the general user reviews.
When I look at the reviews of theses cameras by contributors to the Forum,

Hmmm, does the word "contradiction" mean anything to you?
11-11-2014, 05:41 PM   #12
Site Supporter

The unfortunate thing is that it's not practical for reviewers to always ensure that they all own the same lens to compare!
11-11-2014, 08:32 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
Hmmm, does the word "contradiction" mean anything to you?
Yes, it means the same thing as eating a big slice of humble pie.