Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2014, 08:21 AM   #166
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PANGU_yien Quote
I'm not sure the premise was so false.
We have probably lost track of the thread of the discussion by now but, yes, he was right, the premise was false.

11-16-2014, 08:26 AM   #167
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
We have probably lost track of the thread of the discussion by now but, yes, he was right, the premise was false.

You don't think some of the opinions expressed have shown an aversion to video?
11-16-2014, 08:38 AM   #168
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
You don't think some of the opinions expressed have shown an aversion to video?
The premise referred to was that of the original post. It may well have been calculated to elicit the kind of response to which you refer. There has been considerable annoyance shown in the thread to the constant whining about video. Now that the original post and its supporters have had their say I suspect some of the later posters have shown an aversion. which may well have been provoked or developed by the arguments of the video fans. Most of us, however, are just indifferent. If Ricoh/Pentax beef up their video we won't mind or get excited so long as it does not interfere with the still photographic functions of our DSLRs.

In any case, Ricoh/Pentax will do what it deems best for the company. We will just have to wait and see, buy or not as the case may be.
11-16-2014, 09:06 AM   #169
Pentaxian

The premise referred to was that of the original post.

Right. The premise of this thread was in the title..."Why the AVERSION to video?" I think some of the posts have proven that there IS an aversion to video, as opposed to a simple preference for still photography, which is something completely different.

11-16-2014, 09:13 AM - 2 Likes   #170
Loyal Site Supporter

Right. The premise of this thread was in the title..."Why the AVERSION to video?" I think some of the posts have proven that there IS an aversion to video, as opposed to a simple preference for still photography, which is something completely different.
This is my last post on this. The point is that the basic claim of "aversion" is absurd. Most people do not care = indifference. There has been considerable annoyance displayed at the constant whining in the tread and elsewhere. I have owned several cameras with good video features (Sony A6000 etc). I played with it once or twice and forgot it. Not interesting. As is the whining. I hope you get the video features you want. Just don't blame others for not caring.
11-16-2014, 09:18 AM   #171
Pentaxian

I think the posts have suggested 99% of the population has an aversion to video... it just isn't something most people want to put their time in to. That many Pentax users are part of the 99% shouldn't be a surprise at all.
11-16-2014, 09:34 AM   #172
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I think the posts have suggested 99% of the population has an aversion to video...
You need to tell that to the guy above you. He thinks there's no real aversion to video. lol

---------- Post added 11-16-2014 at 12:42 PM ----------

Most people do not care = indifference.
I would agree with that, but that doesn't mean there's not a real aversion among a percentage of users and that's the question I thought the OP was addressing.

QuoteQuote:
Just don't blame others for not caring.
Where have I blamed anyone? I'm just trying to present another side where there IS a desire for better video in Pentax's cameras. This isn't 100% one way or the other.
11-16-2014, 09:46 AM   #173
Pentaxian

Having taught video, as part of a general communications course, for 8 years... I had 50 students a year, so probably 400 students, one or two took the video portion of the course seriously, and wanted to continue in it. As opposed to 5 or 6 who went on to study photography at a higher level, and then 392 who decided this course was all they needed to know about cameras and video in general and probably never took any real interest in either after that. My guess is, that the video components in still cameras is probably one of the most under-utilized technologies ever invented, due to the aversion of the population.

When it is your job to get after a bunch of kids to get their videos done, you realize how strong that aversion is. Many who thought this was a part of the course they'd like, were overwhelmed by the tedium, that putting together a good video is.

That is "Aversion" with a capitol "A".

The real question here is... why wouldn't there be an aversion to video amongst Pentax users? We'd be extremely odd if there wasn't.

Now if there was no aversion to video use amongst Pentax users, that would be a piece of data worth analysing.

I'm sure some marketing genius somewhere could make a fortune from that.

Like myabe by posting on a regular basis how much better video is on every other system on a Pentax forum, but it's simply not true so that will never happen.

Last edited by normhead; 11-16-2014 at 10:04 AM.
11-16-2014, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #174
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i'm developing an aversion to this thread.
11-16-2014, 11:19 AM   #175
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
i'm developing an aversion to this thread.
What? Was it something I said?
11-16-2014, 04:08 PM   #176
Forum Member

Original Poster
The premise referred to was that of the original post. It may well have been calculated to elicit the kind of response to which you refer. There has been considerable annoyance shown in the thread to the constant whining about video. Now that the original post and its supporters have had their say I suspect some of the later posters have shown an aversion. which may well have been provoked or developed by the arguments of the video fans. Most of us, however, are just indifferent. If Ricoh/Pentax beef up their video we won't mind or get excited so long as it does not interfere with the still photographic functions of our DSLRs.

In any case, Ricoh/Pentax will do what it deems best for the company. We will just have to wait and see, buy or not as the case may be.
Mikesul, I didn't calculate or try to elicit a type of response. I was asking a genuine question. I read the forums every day and was away for two weeks because of having a baby and came back to what read to me like several posts angry about video "whiners". I didn't manage to catch the whining that brought this on.
11-16-2014, 05:37 PM   #177
Loyal Site Supporter

Mikesul, I didn't calculate or try to elicit a type of response. I was asking a genuine question. I read the forums every day and was away for two weeks because of having a baby and came back to what read to me like several posts angry about video "whiners". I didn't manage to catch the whining that brought this on.
Ok. But I prefer to discuss photography. Good luck with your interests.
11-16-2014, 06:00 PM   #178
Site Supporter

Mikesul, I didn't calculate or try to elicit a type of response. I was asking a genuine question.
Cool!

The original premise in the original post that I consider to be false is the notion that there is a pervasive aversion to video on this site. I realize that there might be a language issue, but it is probably enough to say that aversion in common N. American English means a strong distaste or desire to avoid. In the case of food, that might be to the point of feeling nausea.

So, no...I don't believe there is an AVERSION to video among the users on this site. (The all caps is from the original post and denotes shouting.)

Steve

---------- Post added 11-16-14 at 05:02 PM ----------

and was away for two weeks because of having a baby
BTW, congratulations on the addition to your family! A child is a blessing.

Steve
11-16-2014, 06:40 PM   #179
Pentaxian

Mh... a slight aversion then? As in wishing for something as the Nikon Df, that has the feature removed needlessly. Pentax could make it possible to remove the function so completely that all that's left is a bit of red paint on a button that does something else and one item on the menu that says video -- no. I'd be all for that. And improve video as far as the budget allows/it makes financial sense.

Congrats on the baby, may you shoot plenty of videos of your child that you can show him. I always enjoy watching videos of my childhood.
11-17-2014, 01:16 AM   #180
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
When it is your job to get after a bunch of kids to get their videos done, you realize how strong that aversion is. Many who thought this was a part of the course they'd like, were overwhelmed by the tedium, that putting together a good video is.
Taking photographs of kids is no different. It is not the aversion to the tool, but an aversion to a very unwilling subject.