Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2014, 06:59 AM   #181
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Taking photographs of kids is no different. It is not the aversion to the tool, but an aversion to a very unwilling subject.
I actually saw so many assignments where students handed in pictures of their younger siblings I had to discourage the practice. People seem to love taking pictures of their siblings and family, and friends.

Last edited by normhead; 11-17-2014 at 07:04 AM.
11-17-2014, 07:17 AM   #182
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Cool!

The original premise in the original post that I consider to be false is the notion that there is a pervasive aversion to video on this site. I realize that there might be a language issue, but it is probably enough to say that aversion in common N. American English means a strong distaste or desire to avoid. In the case of food, that might be to the point of feeling nausea.

So, no...I don't believe there is an AVERSION to video among the users on this site. (The all caps is from the original post and denotes shouting.)

Steve

---------- Post added 11-16-14 at 05:02 PM ----------

BTW, congratulations on the addition to your family! A child is a blessing.

Steve
How embarrassing...despite choosing a Chinese name as my login and despite living in Beijing, I actually am a North American with English as my mother tongue. I'm hoping this isn't a language issue.
It's been a while since I've studied English, but I'm pretty sure my grammar is as accurate as most non- English majors. I can't vouch for my punctuation, though. I'm trying to get used to the updated keyboard on my phone.

As for the definitions you provided, I'd say my intended choice of wording encompasses those. I'd describe some of the comments I've read as a strong distaste toward or desire to avoid video functions on a DSLR (let alone actually using those functions). I think we can also safely say that nausea might describe the feeling when people watch a video shot with digital image stabilization (as opposed to the mechanical SR in the K5 series).....that was only half joking. (•;
As for capitalizing the word "aversion". It was for emphasis. If I were yelling I'd do the whole sentence in caps.

Steve, ignore the above if it annoys you too much and just accept my thanks for you congratulating me on my son. Children ARE a blessing and I'm blessed that he's our third. Sometimes too many blessings at once is exhausting. (3˝yr old daughter, 2yr old daughter, and now my newborn son!) It's a good exhaustion.

---------- Post added 11-17-14 at 10:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I actually saw so many assignments where students handed in pictures of their younger siblings I had to discourage the practice. People seem to love taking pictures of their siblings and family, and friends.
Norm, you didn't happen to teach in a college did you?
11-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #183
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PANGU_yien Quote
Steve, ignore the above if it annoys you too much
I am not easily annoyed. Enjoy your children

Steve