Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2014, 08:00 AM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
LOL! I'm not even going to answer that, do you mind?
I shouldn't be mucking about in the troll-fest. My unmanaged expectations of other's unmanaged expectations are nobody's business but my own.

11-11-2014, 08:03 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, anyone can always google it and ask the broad based question for all DSLR's, not just brand specific and you will see the answer to how important video is on a DSLR. I have looked at the polls before and many are similar to what has shown in the poll I posted. DSLR users bought a camera to take better pictures and video was just along for the ride. Many people were just not much interested in the video aspect. Again, as I had stated before, a videographer who spent upwards of $10,000 to purchase a true video cam may think wow great, I can take a frame shot of a picture too, but their focus was on the videography aspect of their video camera, just as DSLR users were focusing on the pictures they are looking to take.
11-11-2014, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
Since this discussion pops up now and again with the same discussions. Here is what I posted in DPR 3 months ago, or we can post another poll.

Here is the post, 3 months ago. I have seen similar post over time but peovple still keep asking about how important video is to Pentaxians so her we go again:

How important is video in your DSLR ?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

It all started when people were talking about the GH4 and ask when will Pentax do this. 69% said they don't care about video just focus on improving stills.Deja vu all over again. Of course it is opinion only and unscientific but over the years, the polls still seem to show that video is not that important in Pentax cameras.
So there are ~30% potentially lost sales in that poll if taking away video capability. I can promise you that the 30% pf total sales does way more for profitability and pricing than the potential cost-cutting of taking away videos. That poll just proves that point to be true.
11-11-2014, 08:06 AM - 3 Likes   #64
Pentaxian

Why are people making stuff up? Guys: video is just a bunch of still images. All the hardware for good video is already in e.g. the K-3. They turned off hardware SR through software. Video does not make a camera any more expensive.

LOL! Would a checkbox on the bottom of the last page of the settings tab help? "Hide video capabilities", checked by default of course.

11-11-2014, 08:11 AM   #65
Pentaxian

Internet fight!
11-11-2014, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Internet fight!
It always goes like that with the video-topic. Funny thing is, it's actually on topic this time.
11-11-2014, 08:18 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
So there are ~30% potentially lost sales in that poll if taking away video capability. I can promise you that the 30% pf total sales does way more for profitability and pricing than the potential cost-cutting of taking away videos. That poll just proves that point to be true.

Well, don't shoot the messenger. :P

I was just curious with the poll but I would never say get rid of video as it is, I use it at times for my simple videos even though they are once in a blue moon when I do them. My K-30 does fine for what I need it for, if not, I use my inexpensive video camera. I just don't know why people keep saying that Pentax has to improve video or it will be a bad camera. I think a majority of the polls have shown that to be not true. It is not like those of us who have been using Pentax cameras for years are surprised. We know that their focus is on pictures, not video, and I think there are still a lot of us who know that and are fine with it as it is.
11-11-2014, 08:35 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Why are people making stuff up? Guys: video is just a bunch of still images. All the hardware for good video is already in e.g. the K-3. They turned off hardware SR through software. Video does not make a camera any more expensive.

So what do you care what a bunch of know-nothings say on an obscure forum? Are we in any way impeding the plan for RP world domination by not caring about video?

11-11-2014, 08:37 AM   #69
Forum Member

Regarding the poster's observation about things we can do without, there IS a very decent high-end camera which has dumped the flash entirely: the Olympus OMD-1. (The camera ships with a flash as a separate unit but since my photography is mostly landscapes I have never taken it out of its little bag)
11-11-2014, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alexcox Quote
Regarding the poster's observation about things we can do without, there IS a very decent high-end camera which has dumped the flash entirely: the Olympus OMD-1. (The camera ships with a flash as a separate unit but since my photography is mostly landscapes I have never taken it out of its little bag)
The 'High-end' Canon dslr's don't have flashes either, not even ones in little bags.

I never use the built in, and I now feel like cursing everyone who has made me pay for the built in flash on the k5iis. You collectively owe me a coke.

Last edited by BrianR; 11-11-2014 at 09:10 AM.
11-11-2014, 09:07 AM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
Well, don't shoot the messenger. :P

I was just curious with the poll but I would never say get rid of video as it is, I use it at times for my simple videos even though they are once in a blue moon when I do them. My K-30 does fine for what I need it for, if not, I use my inexpensive video camera. I just don't know why people keep saying that Pentax has to improve video or it will be a bad camera. I think a majority of the polls have shown that to be not true. It is not like those of us who have been using Pentax cameras for years are surprised. We know that their focus is on pictures, not video, and I think there are still a lot of us who know that and are fine with it as it is.
Hey, it wasn't aimed at you personally, I'm shooting wild in all directions in this thread!
11-11-2014, 09:16 AM   #72
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bradshea Quote
I'm one who has never used video on my dslrs other than a test shot or two.

However, I would not ask Pentax to remove video for the reasons mentioned - particularly three concern over keeping the camera relevant and competitive.
I agree 100%. Just because I don't use video; I certainly cannot see removing the option on Pentax cameras, as others utilize it, & enjoy it.

BTW, I don't have an aversion to video, rather I simply don't have a reason or place to use it.
11-11-2014, 09:24 AM   #73
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The video feature on my K-5iis is, for me, just like the child seat mounts that every new vehicle has; useless (to me) but harmless.
11-11-2014, 09:34 AM   #74
Site Supporter

Yep, have no aversions, just have no interest in video. So, for me, the space taken up by the physical video switch on the K-3 would have been better spent on a customisable button of some sort. By hey, no big deal.
11-11-2014, 09:59 AM   #75
Pentaxian

I don't have an aversion to video, I just don't shoot much video and when I do, it's usually with my phone or P&S. Shooting video is a whole different skill from still shooting. The little I have done is the typical family videos shot at parties, sporting events, etc. While I'm certain our DSLR's are capable of high quality video, I get much better results with my phone. I owned an inexpensive Canon (and still do) camcorder years ago which didn't get used much but was very easy for anyone to use with excellent auto focus, power zoom and an auto exposure system that seemed to work in just about every lighting situation I ever was in. I stopped using it because it uses DV tape and requires a Firewire port. Uploading and transcoding was a time consuming process and the computer resources required were huge. My iPhone does better and quicker video.

DSLR's come with video because a few in the industry demand that they must be able to shoot video. It was almost funny to hear all the critics slam the Nikon Df. While no camera is perfect and has things we can gripe about, almost every review slammed it because it had no video. How dare them to build a camera in the 21st century that doesn't do video!