Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2014, 09:06 AM   #16
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the camera was a good camera, like all of Pentax's Cameras, then I would buy it without video. Given, I enjoy video mode, but my main use of a dslr is for pictures, and if it is better at pictures than other cameras, why do I need the video?

11-11-2014, 09:54 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

I've used video on my assorted slr cameras maybe a dozen times in the past few years. None of it was for anything that mattered much. Usually it was "I don't feel like digging my phone out for this" or "I want to record this but it's too far away for my phone to get any details"

I recorded one song at my brother-in-law's first gig with his new band using my wife's Q (and the whole set with my GoPro).

It's a vaguely convenient feature that I would almost certainly not miss much if it disappeared, but which comes in handy on rare occasions.
11-11-2014, 10:06 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Lack of video would have no bearing on any decision to buy a DSLR. I don't use it. That's not to say I never will or haven't but video isn't part of my life. Since I never use the video feature, I get better quality from my phone.
11-11-2014, 03:27 PM   #19
Pentaxian

While I mainly use my DSLR for stills, I also use it a lot for video, and I love being able to turn the mode dial and have a very capable video camera in my hands, turn back and it's great at stills. If the video isn't decent (the K-5 is decent, any Pentax after that isn't) then I will have to look for other brands. They can take good stills too, in addition to video. I might have to make a few sacrifices, but I doubt there'll be too many in terms of stills.

Using a video camera is not an option, it just doesn't give me the kind of look and quality, and control over the look as a DSLR, unless I spend significantly more money on the video camera than on a stills camera... and then I'd need to carry 2 devices anyway.

I feel like a survey in a Pentax forum isn't telling the whole story. It doesn't consider the people who would buy a Pentax if it had competitive video (or, better yet, added video SR, which is a unique advantage over pretty much every other camera that only does that with certain lenses, and then perhaps not even as good). How many sales has Pentax lost from people who ended up with some other brand, because it's video abilities are sub par? Amongst friends and relatives I know 3... and I tried to bring 2 of them to Pentax. But bad video = no sale.

11-11-2014, 03:38 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Video will always be a nice feature but it would never play a part in my decision to buy a particular camera.
11-11-2014, 07:00 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
While I mainly use my DSLR for stills, I also use it a lot for video, and I love being able to turn the mode dial and have a very capable video camera in my hands, turn back and it's great at stills. If the video isn't decent (the K-5 is decent, any Pentax after that isn't) then I will have to look for other brands. They can take good stills too, in addition to video. I might have to make a few sacrifices, but I doubt there'll be too many in terms of stills.

Using a video camera is not an option, it just doesn't give me the kind of look and quality, and control over the look as a DSLR, unless I spend significantly more money on the video camera than on a stills camera... and then I'd need to carry 2 devices anyway.

I feel like a survey in a Pentax forum isn't telling the whole story. It doesn't consider the people who would buy a Pentax if it had competitive video (or, better yet, added video SR, which is a unique advantage over pretty much every other camera that only does that with certain lenses, and then perhaps not even as good). How many sales has Pentax lost from people who ended up with some other brand, because it's video abilities are sub par? Amongst friends and relatives I know 3... and I tried to bring 2 of them to Pentax. But bad video = no sale.

Well I don't know.

The reason I posted the polls in DPR, which I have seen many over time, just to get a feel for what people are thinking now as opposed to a few years back and for the most part of what I have seen over time, video is nice but it is not a driving factor, at least when it comes to Pentax cameras.

I have been using a Pentax DSLR for 6 years and there was never a moment when I got my first cam and said "Oh, I thought it would have better video". I think there are many people out there who knew what they wanted and were not surprised what Pentax provided. I still feel the same today. Sure there are better video cam options in DSLR's but I buy my DSLR for stills and I will always focus on stills but that is just me. For those who are saying Pentax does not support them in video and that results in 0 sale, that is fine. Just as I would look at a Canon and say Canon makes great video but their high iso IQ sucks so to me it would be 0 sale. We have what we are looking for and what we want. Pentax is making profits and people are buying even though they know that video is on par with many other video DSLR cameras. I guess that is because a majority of Pentax users want better stills and to me, Pentax supports the best APS-C cameras out there.
11-11-2014, 07:32 PM   #22
Site Supporter

There are several cameras that I would consider purchasing that do not offer video.

I guess that says it.

Steve
11-11-2014, 10:42 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I think the lead Pentax has in stills is rather small, while the lead others have in video was bigger. But what is really disappointing is that they are almost there in video. Almost. Up until, say 2013, all that was needed was a better codec to catch up, maybe one more feature like a good zebra system and focus peaking. And with video SR they could have leaped ahead. Pentax video has a very nice look IMHO, very natural, cinematic, filmic. Sony looks much more like digital video to me.

If only Pentax had taken the best parts of the K-5 (codec, SR) and merged it with the K-3 (manual controls, manual gain). It would have been competitive.

11-12-2014, 12:32 AM   #24
Veteran Member

But would have Pentaxians really care if it were better ?

I know this is a debate on people who either want or don't care about improved video and it seems to me that a majority are not really interested in video. It seems to me that people are pushing those of us who do not really care to say yes we should want it. For those people who say they like Pentax video and want more options, that is great for them and I am happy they want that, but when others are saying that Pentax is missing the boat and need to do this or that, I get somewhat frustrated. Pentax has been a camera manufacturer and they have made it clear for some time that their focus has been on stills, even said in reports from their upper management. I, as many others do, like Pentax the way Pentax is. If others don't like the video specs that Pentax offers then maybe they should look elsewhere. I would feel the same way if I wanted better video, if I was disappointed that Pentax was not meeting my needs, I would look elsewhere instead of changing what Pentax is and has always been, a great camera manufacturer.
11-12-2014, 02:49 AM   #25
Pentaxian

The question shouldn't be if Pentaxians want better video, but if others would buy Pentax if it had better video. Because that would increase the user base of Pentax, giving them the money and incentive to develop even better cameras and more lenses. Because they have more people they can sell them to. Particularly primes.

Of course all under the assumption that stills don't suffer.

I don't WANT to leave, because I do like the brand, I like the cameras they make, and I already have some lenses.
11-12-2014, 03:11 AM   #26

Video doesn't even rate a thought. My K10D hasn't got it and it doesn't worry me in the slightest. I bought my DSLR for quality photo's and features only. Love the K10D so much I have no desire to upgrade at this stage either. My HTC One take brilliant vids if required.
11-12-2014, 03:52 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PaulieHun Quote
Video doesn't even rate a thought. My K10D hasn't got it and it doesn't worry me in the slightest. I bought my DSLR for quality photo's and features only. Love the K10D so much I have no desire to upgrade at this stage either. My HTC One take brilliant vids if required.
Actually I use the smartphone too when I need to take a video, even if my DSLR has this feature... I feel more comfortable and the quality is not so so different.
11-15-2014, 06:51 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by flaviopetrone Quote
Actually I use the smartphone too when I need to take a video, even if my DSLR has this feature... I feel more comfortable and the quality is not so so different.
This is an interesting and persuasive idea. As people have pointed out in other threads, most video taken with DSLRs by amateurs or people not dedicated to video production is not that great. For a quick video of a scene most modern smart phones do just as well. Remember, even 4k single frame resolution is very low compared to modern DSLRs. Nicely done 4k is stunning, by the way.
11-15-2014, 06:56 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
This is an interesting and persuasive idea. As people have pointed out in other threads, most video taken with DSLRs by amateurs or people not dedicated to video production is not that great. For a quick video of a scene most modern smart phones do just as well. Remember, even 4k single frame resolution is very low compared to modern DSLRs. Nicely done 4k is stunning, by the way.
Yes, of course this makes sense just because I am not willing to sell a video. So, the phone with the autofocus and auto mode is perfect.
11-15-2014, 07:03 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I believe that our eyes/brain are capable of doing some kind of interpolation when viewing a video, something like what you can achieve with Registax or similar software (which, BTW, also accept AVI video as input format).