Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2014, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian
TaoMaas's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,197
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I remain very puzzled at the vehemence of the video at all cost fans.
Kinda makes you wonder how many of them still use a flip-phone because they want a phone that only does what it was intended for, doesn't it? lol

For me, if Pentax were to totally abandon the idea of video on their digital cameras, it would probably be the breaking point after a 40+ year relationship. I've got a huge investment in lenses, so I might hang onto a Pentax camera with a few primes for my "pure" shooting...but I'd have to sell most everything else to finance a move to a more modern system. I'm the last user of Pentax gear in the largest camera club in our state. Our biggest camera store has already stopped carrying Pentax, so you have to ask if this is a wise business model.

11-15-2014, 07:44 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Mikesul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,655
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Kinda makes you wonder how many of them still use a flip-phone because they want a phone that only does what it was intended for, doesn't it? lol

For me, if Pentax were to totally abandon the idea of video on their digital cameras, it would probably be the breaking point after a 40+ year relationship. I've got a huge investment in lenses, so I might hang onto a Pentax camera with a few primes for my "pure" shooting...but I'd have to sell most everything else to finance a move to a more modern system. I'm the last user of Pentax gear in the largest camera club in our state. Our biggest camera store has already stopped carrying Pentax, so you have to ask if this is a wise business model.

Pentax problems with local stores began a decade or more ago and has nothing to do with video.
11-15-2014, 07:48 AM   #33
Pentaxian
TaoMaas's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,197
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Pentax problems with local stores began a decade or more ago and has nothing to do with video.
True. Ignoring video just makes them even less relevant.
11-15-2014, 07:59 AM   #34
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 27
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
Video is not on my radar when buying a camera.
If I ever buy a video camera (haven't yet, ever), its ability to simulate a film camera won't be on my radar.
As long as video stays in the back seat and keeps its mouth shut, it can tag along in my "film camera simulator".
+1 - Well stated above

Over the years I have had the need/desire for capturing moving pictures. I have purchased pro-sumer equipment that has been largely underused, and find that I don't have the time or inclination to dedicate the post production time to create an engaging end product. That said, I will continue to record snippets of life for my own enjoyment that tells a story (in some cases a little better than a still image). I'm glad that I have the option to use my Pentax to capture those bits of life.

11-15-2014, 10:26 AM   #35
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Posts: 42
I can see this both ways - though I tend to lean to the "video is a nice bonus, but not a deciding factor" side, and I certainly wouldn't bail on Pentax if video became less of a priority to them (too many K-mount lenses and not enough funds to switch systems).

I enjoy video, and I do use it on my K30. It's fun to use large aperture lenses and play with focal points - for some nice effects. But when buying a new camera - I don't pay much attention to the video specs. Like others have mentioned, I tend to default to my phone for shooting most videos.

As an example - I sold my K-7 a few years back in favor of a K20D / K2000 combo (even swap). I previously spent most of my time on a K10D - so the K20D was a natural choice for me. Having the extra body was more important than the features I lost on the K-7 (video, frames per second, etc.). I have since sold the K2000 and added the K30. The video is nice, but I did it primarily for the higher ISO / low light performance - more than anything else.

Last edited by jaremart; 11-15-2014 at 11:28 AM. Reason: typo
11-15-2014, 10:30 PM   #36
Site Supporter
beachgardener's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,053
If they produced one model with or without video, I'd be happy and go for the one without. A poll for this?
11-16-2014, 06:38 AM   #37
Pentaxian
LensBeginner's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,593
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
If they produced one model with or without video, I'd be happy and go for the one without. A poll for this?
Well, user JimC1101 started a poll on Dpreview some three months ago...
The vast majority (>62%) answered:
"Pentax has video in their DSLR's ? I am a photographer, just spend time on improvements for stills."

Last edited by LensBeginner; 11-16-2014 at 08:42 AM.
11-16-2014, 06:58 AM   #38
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Then we'll see how much the omission of video would actually cost.

How much does it actually cost to put the video option in the camera?

I don't think this is a major thing for most Pentax users, but I don't think that anyone outside the little Pentax Bubble would enter.

Nowadays and the very near future:
  • Video and maybe even 4K is a need.
  • wifi in the body
  • gps in the body
  • nfc in the body
  • connecting to social media directly from the body
  • SIM card to make it an all perpose photographic tool won't take many years.

I sometime do make video's, but I'm also not investing in a serious video-camera.

11-16-2014, 07:17 AM   #39
Pentaxian
TaoMaas's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,197
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
How much does it actually cost to put the video option in the camera?
If it's digital photography, it's pretty much already video. It's just a question of how much to develop the moving image side of things.
11-16-2014, 08:18 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Mikesul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,655
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
How much does it actually cost to put the video option in the camera?

I don't think this is a major thing for most Pentax users, but I don't think that anyone outside the little Pentax Bubble would enter.

Nowadays and the very near future:
  • Video and maybe even 4K is a need.
  • wifi in the body
  • gps in the body
  • nfc in the body
  • connecting to social media directly from the body
  • SIM card to make it an all perpose photographic tool won't take many years.

I sometime do make video's, but I'm also not investing in a serious video-camera.
Whether we individually want all of the features Ron lists or not it is a reasonable list of features cameras increasingly must offer to be competitive. Fortunately most of them can be included without adding much size but each item does add cost. GPS is puzzling since so many relatively inexpensive point and shoots have had it for years but it is an expensive extra for Pentax and (I think) Nikon dslrs. Most puzzling of all Sony omitted GPS from its e-mount cameras (not even an option) while including most of the rest of Ron's list.
11-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #41
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,651
I think Ron's list should be discussed at a different place, because it's going way beyond video. I took the liberty to post my reply here:


https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/270063-what-should-pentax-do-44.html
11-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #42
Veteran Member
flaviopetrone's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Reggio Emilia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,150
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Well, user JimC1101 started a poll on Dpreview some three months ago...
The vast majority (>62%) answered:
"Pentax has video in their DSLR's ? I am a photographer, just spend time on improvements for stills."
I think that this survey looks like the real life.
Not bad a video feature in the camera, but not necessary.
When you want that one item makes more than one thing, obviously you need a compromise.
For this reason the primes lenses are better than zooms, uh?
11-16-2014, 11:17 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,423
Pentax dSLR without video - not meaningful either way. I've never, ever used it on my K-3.

If they released a credible MILC without video I would run - RUN - in another direction. I use video on my K-01 with DA40 Ltd. often. It's good enough.
11-16-2014, 12:17 PM   #44
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,651
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Pentax dSLR without video - not meaningful either way. I've never, ever used it on my K-3.

If they released a credible MILC without video I would run - RUN - in another direction. I use video on my K-01 with DA40 Ltd. often. It's good enough.
Technically the cameras are similar, so any money invested in video for either could be used for both types of camera.

The challenge is to implement video in a way that it won't disturb pure stills shooters, while still giving video shooters the controls they need (within reason). Flexible menus and reassignable buttons could be the solution.
11-16-2014, 01:18 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,423
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Technically the cameras are similar, so any money invested in video for either could be used for both types of camera.

The challenge is to implement video in a way that it won't disturb pure stills shooters, while still giving video shooters the controls they need (within reason). Flexible menus and reassignable buttons could be the solution.
Doesn't matter what anyone says . . . . . . .

I don't care whether a dSLR has video or doesn't have video. I care whether a MILC has video. Was that not clear?

Last edited by monochrome; 11-16-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, cameras, canon, cost, dslr, endeavor, mirrorless, pentax, photography, production, system, video
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shooting video with Pentax cameras. Tips, video looks, camera options, etc. JohnnyXD Video and Pentax HDSLRs 50 12-09-2014 09:53 PM
For Sale - Sold: Extension Tube Set w or w/o FA50 1.4 Mr. The Guy Sold Items 2 06-02-2009 05:23 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax ME w/ or w/o lens drjaxon Sold Items 7 03-21-2009 07:50 AM
540 flash w/k10d and manual lens w/o A position on aper ring qksilver Pentax DSLR Discussion 5 10-29-2007 09:18 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:41 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top