Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2014, 01:23 PM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a lot of still cameras with video capability and use the feature seldomly. Like one a year. I'm more likely to take a video with my phone. That said, some of these new 4k capable phones offer better video than most dslrs on the market.

11-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #47
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Well, user JimC1101 started a poll on Dpreview some three months ago...
The vast majority (>62%) answered:
"Pentax has video in their DSLR's ? I am a photographer, just spend time on improvements for stills."
Cheers, thanks for the info.
11-16-2014, 01:47 PM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Doesn't matter what anyone says . . . . . . .

I don't care whether a dSLR has video or doesn't have video. I care whether a MILC has video. Was that not clear?
It was clear. And I'm suggesting putting whatever Pentax develops for the MILC, as long as it is possible without too much work, into the DSLRs too. With an option to hide it. For the people who want a DSLR, and not a mirrorless, and want to shoot video with it. I agree that if you only want to do video, mirrorless is the way to go. But I enjoy both, and at this point I think I'd still rather have a DSLR... especially if the alternative is the K-01.

geomez: I'm sorry, but how do they offer better video? Typically the videos are compressed to death (bitrates way too low), the sensors are still just, at most, 1/3" (which is better than video cameras, but still far away from what even a mFT camera offers). Dynamic range is poor, low light performance is poor, everything is in focus (not always the look I'd want).
11-16-2014, 02:20 PM   #49
Pentaxian

don't need it. don't care if it came on the camera or not.

11-16-2014, 03:03 PM   #50
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Cameras w/o video
Well I've certainly not used video yet on any of my Pentax cameras, primarily because they don't have that feature.

But in the future who knows... at the moment I'm just a "Stills Guy".
11-16-2014, 04:04 PM   #51
Site Supporter

mainly, the only video i need is live view.
11-16-2014, 06:08 PM   #52
Pentaxian

As a 20 year old I'll put my perspective on it. I would have never, ever bought my pentax if it didn't have at least semi decent video. For people my age having video capabilities to capture more complete moments is actually pretty important.

It's not the most used feature on my camera but it certainly sees use.
11-16-2014, 08:15 PM   #53
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
As a 20 year old I'll put my perspective on it. I would have never, ever bought my pentax if it didn't have at least semi decent video. For people my age having video capabilities to capture more complete moments is actually pretty important.

It's not the most used feature on my camera but it certainly sees use.

Video is not the priority of the young. There are a lot of young adults that are only into stills just as there are a lot of older adults that are only into video. You'll find on this site that more people are into stills because Pentax is first and foremost a still photography company.

11-16-2014, 08:42 PM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Video is not the priority of the young. There are a lot of young adults that are only into stills just as there are a lot of older adults that are only into video. You'll find on this site that more people are into stills because Pentax is first and foremost a still photography company.
I've come to feel that most people on these forums are of an older demographic.

I'm just stating what I and people I know feel about cameras in my own age bracket.
11-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've come to feel that most people on these forums are of an older demographic.

I'm just stating what I and people I know feel about cameras in my own age bracket.
That shouldn't matter in some cases...
When I was 20 I was definitely not into video, but was into photos (eve though we had yet to see camera phones...).
11-17-2014, 05:04 PM   #56
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
That shouldn't matter in some cases...
When I was 20 I was definitely not into video, but was into photos (eve though we had yet to see camera phones...).
And I'm 29. I had greater access to video equipment at my house growing up and as a high school student (my friends produced the weekly school news program) than I did still cameras. That said one of the first things I bought after getting my first job as a digital camera. I took film photography and digital photography courses in college and purchased an old Minolta SLR when I was 19, and then purchased the Pentax *ist DS when I was 20 shortly after it came out. I never had much interest in video, yet I've had profound interest in photography for more than the last decade.

I've come to feel that most people on these forums are of an older demographic. I'm just stating what I and people I know feel about cameras in my own age bracket.
ZombieArmy, I have no doubt that most of the people on this forum are older than you, just by the sheer fact that photography is generally an expensive hobby that younger people don't usually have the funds for. As for the age thing, I think maybe it's the people in your immediate environment, younger friends liking video and photo, and older people not, that has led you to the conclusion that age is somehow reflective of photo/video preferences. I think that taking a broader view of the two mediums would show that this is not true. I think interest in photography and/or videography is entirely personal and not particularly reflective of any one age group or generation.
11-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #57
Pentaxian

My first two digital cameras were P&S with video (poor video compared to today's standards). I actually used video quite a bit, but was never happy with it. As soon as I got my Pentax dSLR's (K10d, K5, and now K3), I never shoot video. I actually use my phone if there is a desire to shoot any video. Usually I want video for silly things that using a Pentax doesn't really help me.

In fact I don't even think to shoot video when I have the dSLR in-hand. I'm not sure why not. I grew up with my father and even myself shooting a lot of video with a camcorder, but I just don't seem to like it myself.

That being said a week or two ago, I shot the first video with my dSLR only because my camera was broke and stuck in the video mode. I was trying to troubleshoot the problems and got a video out of it. Not sure I'll ever do it again. I find an SLR awkward for video shooting. I think i'd rather have a dedicated video camera.
11-18-2014, 11:48 PM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I think Ron's list should be discussed at a different place, because it's going way beyond video.
Pot, meet kettle.
11-19-2014, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We all have things we want or don't want on cameras. For myself, I could do away with 90% of the modes and metering patterns on modern cameras, as well as the built in flash. I have been arguing in favor of good video because that's something I would dearly love to have on my next DSLR, but more than that, I think video has already become something that most people expect, not only from their cameras, but from their cellphones, laptops, tablets, etc... It's just part of modern life and I think Pentax would be ill-advised to ignore that. Just as 35mm was basically movie film that had been re-spooled, at it's core digital photography is extremely close to video. They're more than "kissing cousins"...they're siblings. It's primarily just the imaging devices that differ...and not by all that much.
11-19-2014, 12:58 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Video, I could care less. I'm about capturing the moment in still form. I've messed with the video on my K-3 once or twice but that's it. When I'm shooting racing I need all my SD space for stills. Detailing one SD card to video just makes me need to change cards sooner. My opinion.