Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2014, 07:00 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Cameras w/o video

Inspired by the recent video thread: How many of you would flat-out not buy a (Pentax) camera that did not feature a video mode? How many of you would? Then we'll see how much the omission of video would actually cost.

For the record, if for some reason Pentax decided none of their future cameras would have video, I would call up the service centre, tell them to keep my K-5 II and bugger off to somebody else, in the span of about 5 minutes.

11-11-2014, 07:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Then we'll see how much the omission of video would actually cost.
No, we will not. Members of this forum are not the main target for most of the features of DSLRs.
11-11-2014, 07:07 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Ok, I'll bite.
I could.
Never felt I needed it on a K100DS, never used it on my K-01.
I have a camcorder for that.
Sure, I could use good video chops (maybe I would use video more if it was good-er ), but it's not something I'm dying to have.
11-11-2014, 07:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I started a poll in DPR a couple months ago and the majority did not use video or don't really care. The majority said that Pentax is fine as it is and video in Pentax cameras is fine as it is now. I am in the same position as I was before.

It is better to start a poll here than to just add a gazillion posts if you want to start it all over again.

11-11-2014, 07:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
I started a poll in DPR a couple months ago and the majority did not use video or don't really care. The majority said that Pentax is fine as it is and people are fine with how it is for them now. I am still in the same position as before.

It is better to start a poll here than to just add a gazillion posts if you want to start it all over again.
Well... There was supposed to be a poll in the OP.
The results of your poll are interesting. IIRC such threads/polls on other DPR forums ended up more balanced, although still weighed towards the "no video" side. It would be great if we had age information along with the redults of such polls.
11-11-2014, 07:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Here is the post, 3 months ago. I have seen similar post over time but peovple still keep asking about how important video is to Pentaxians so her we go again:

How important is video in your DSLR ?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

It all started when people were talking about the GH4 and ask when will Pentax do this. 69% said they don't care about video just focus on improving stills.Deja vu all over again. Of course it is opinion only and unscientific but over the years, the polls still seem to show that video is not that important in Pentax cameras.
11-11-2014, 07:36 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Inspired by the recent video thread: How many of you would flat-out not buy a (Pentax) camera that did not feature a video mode? How many of you would? Then we'll see how much the omission of video would actually cost.

For the record, if for some reason Pentax decided none of their future cameras would have video, I would call up the service centre, tell them to keep my K-5 II and bugger off to somebody else, in the span of about 5 minutes.
Well since you already have a camera with video it does not make much sense to abandon it because future cameras from that manufacturer might not have video. I remain very puzzled at the vehemence of the video at all cost fans.
11-11-2014, 07:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

What do I gain for not including the video? Do I get something else I want instead of it? Do I get a cheaper camera?
If I don't gain anything at all for not including it, then I don't see any reason not to include it as I just get less stuff for my money.

11-11-2014, 07:39 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Video is not on my radar when buying a camera.
If I ever buy a video camera (haven't yet, ever), its ability to simulate a film camera won't be on my radar.
As long as video stays in the back seat and keeps its mouth shut, it can tag along in my "film camera simulator".
11-11-2014, 07:44 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
As long as video stays in the back seat and keeps its mouth shut, it can tag along in my "film camera simulator".
++++5!!! Perfectly expressed.
11-11-2014, 07:48 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
What do I gain for not including the video? Do I get something else I want instead of it? Do I get a cheaper camera?
If I don't gain anything at all for not including it, then I don't see any reason not to include it as I just get less stuff for my money.
Yes, I totally ignored the video feature when I was looking for buy a DSLR. I have bought a K50 and I am happy. If one day I will need it, I will have the chance to use it. Till that moment, it doesn't bother me to have a feature that I am ignoring because I don't need it.
11-11-2014, 08:04 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I don't get it. How do future features or lack of them effect the features on your existing equipment? Will the video on your K-5 II suddenly go away? Talk about "cutting off your nose to spite your face".

It doesn't matter to me either way if my DSLR has video or not. My K10D does not. None of my film cameras worked as cine camera either. If I need video I can just borrow or rent video equipment.
11-11-2014, 08:14 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I don't get it. How do future features or lack of them effect the features on your existing equipment? Will the video on your K-5 II suddenly go away? Talk about "cutting off your nose to spite your face".
My current equipment is not affected in any way, but I'd still need to buy accessories for the camera. Having lenses and equipment that fit my K-5 II would mean a significant investment of money and operating experience into a system that basically ceases to perform for me as soon as my K-5 II and any replacement K-5s die.

This "video at all cost" thing is here because many of us want a device that does more than one task. There are multiple levels to this though, ranging from people that only use a smartphone, to people that use one device for every single task. The usual backslash of "just use a phone then" does not actually take into account the "how well" versus "how many tasks" ratio of an individual. Some might be satisfied with a phone for browsing, images, videos, calling, texting etc... while some (like me) want better image and video capability without carrying a videoless DSLR and a camcorder. Some people just don't realize how much better even shitty DSLR video looks compared to many camcorders.

Last edited by Giklab; 11-11-2014 at 08:24 AM.
11-11-2014, 08:29 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I doubt this survey will actually settle the matter, but I personally gloss over the video specs when
reviewing a camera's feature. I go right by, it doesn't even register as noteworthy.
11-11-2014, 08:34 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I doubt this survey will actually settle the matter
Of course it won't
I just wanted to get a sample size, but I see JimC1101 has already beat me to it.