Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #16
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by axelm7 Quote
Let's hear it! The longer the better.
Ok here's the short non scary version.

While based in the Middle East with the military, I was using Nikon F3s (shows how long ago now). Even though they were dust sealed, sand ingress was always an issue, so you had to use multiply bodies, i.e. one pair being cleaned while you used the other pair and then swap them over when you got them back. In those days sand in the film gate put long scratches horizontally across your film and subsequently your images, PP then involved hours with a paint brush.

Well... while on one visit to collect freshly TLC'd cameras, the shop had these newish Pentax LXs in, got leave to take one away to try it with a nifty fifty on, the rest is history and the beginning of a long affair with the brand and my "Ladies"

11-11-2014, 12:58 PM   #17
Site Supporter

My first digital camera that I actually used more than a few times was a Kodak p&s. Sharp photos with bright punchy colors. But it only had a 2x zoom and when it showed signs of dying in 2006 I replaced it with a Panasonic FZ-5. 5MP with a 12x zoom it was good enough for what I was doing at the time. But there were a few things that the FZ-5 didn't do. No RAW and no way to manually focus were the 2 big ones. In 2008 I bought a FZ-8. It was 7MP and had the same lens. It could shoot RAW and could be manually focused. Unfortunately it didn't have the same image processor as the FZ-5. The sensor had visible noise at ISO 200 and wasn't usable at ISO 400. Apple never added the FZ-8 to RAW Compatibility so no RAW images in iPhoto. Manually focusing with a little joystick sucked.

So in 2009 I started looking at DSLRs. If Nikon had put the Sony 12MP CMOS sensor in the D3000, or if the D7000 had been $100 or so cheaper I would be a Nikon shooter today. The only camera that met both my price point and desired features was the K-x. I had a K1000 in the late 80's / early 90's, so when Abe's of Maine had a white K-x on sale it was a no brainer.
11-11-2014, 01:01 PM   #18
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Zenit KM with K mount and Zenit E with M42 and Rolleiflex 2.8F.
11-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Ok here's the short non scary version.

While based in the Middle East with the military, I was using Nikon F3s (shows how long ago now). Even though they were dust sealed, sand ingress was always an issue, so you had to use multiply bodies, i.e. one pair being cleaned while you used the other pair and then swap them over when you got them back. In those days sand in the film gate put long scratches horizontally across your film and subsequently your images, PP then involved hours with a paint brush.

Well... while on one visit to collect freshly TLC'd cameras, the shop had these newish Pentax LXs in, got leave to take one away to try it with a nifty fifty on, the rest is history and the beginning of a long affair with the brand and my "Ladies"
Beautiful story.

11-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #20
Pentaxian

As a kid, a couple hand-me-downs:
-Kodak Instamatic
-Minolta 110 underwater camera

But Pentax was prominent in the family, so when I bought my first it was:
-ME Super
-MX
-YashicaMat 124G

Then digital came along, but Pentax was a late player, so:
-HP 618 (Pentax lens!)
-Nikon 995

Then finally, back to Pentax:
-K10D
-Q7
-K-3
11-11-2014, 01:19 PM   #21
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by TinaS Quote
Beautiful story
Thank you, I don't consider myself good with the words, so that's why I've stuck with the images.
11-11-2014, 01:26 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I was using the Olympus 4/3 DSLRs, which were great little cameras with a nice interface and good handling. Oly rendering is still my favorite to this day, although Pentax is right up there.

But when Oly finally came out with their new flagship E-5 (if you think the Pentax DSLR refresh cycle is long, you wouldn't believe the Olympus one), the features were underwhelming to say the least, and Oly simultaneously let everyone know that it would be the last true DSLR they were producing, I looked elsewhere. The K-5 was pretty much everything I had hoped the E-5 would be, and I had shot Pentax film before and was always impressed with their cameras, so I made the jump and have never looked back.
11-11-2014, 01:27 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Thank you, I don't consider myself good with the words, so that's why I've stuck with the images.
Lol You do very well on both counts.

11-11-2014, 01:32 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

First time it was a Zenit then I went to a spotmatic, then i ventued off to nikon, then canon, and came back to pentax when the canon was stolen (23 or so years back - the same idea (a theft) has allowed me to move at least partially to Fuji (I still have Pentax and am using a tak on the Fuji right now) I will likely by another Pentax body as well, there are things I get from pentax I don't get from Fuji (and vice versa)
to be realistic the only brand that really doesn't work for me is Canon, the ergonomics are the worst (Not a huge sony fan either) Nikon would be where i'd be if I hadn't gone to pentax 23 years back (the shop I worked at carried Pentax and not nikon.....boom done deal glad i chose that over the Minolta Maxuum 9000)

---------- Post added 11th Nov 2014 at 15:35 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
I was using the Olympus 4/3 DSLRs, which were great little cameras with a nice interface and good handling. Oly rendering is still my favorite to this day, although Pentax is right up there.

But when Oly finally came out with their new flagship E-5 (if you think the Pentax DSLR refresh cycle is long, you wouldn't believe the Olympus one), the features were underwhelming to say the least, and Oly simultaneously let everyone know that it would be the last true DSLR they were producing, I looked elsewhere. The K-5 was pretty much everything I had hoped the E-5 would be, and I had shot Pentax film before and was always impressed with their cameras, so I made the jump and have never looked back.

I liked the OMD I tried but it wasn't as good as a K3 would be and missed the magic of the Fuji, I grabbed the fuji kit as an alternate system. I'll grab a good deal at some point on an upgraded pentax body (and maybe a couple more lenses 50,70 and a tamron 28-75 &70-200 2.8 pair for events)
11-11-2014, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #25
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by TinaS Quote
You do very well on both counts
It's always good to hear from you, the smooth talker that you are.
11-11-2014, 01:43 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Before Pentax I used (going back in time) a Nikon Coolpix P3, a Nokia N95 and... a Pentax! the KM...

Nikon because I used to borrow it
N95 because it was always with me and it was a swell camera-phone for its times
And the KM because it was my father's. A fantastic machine.

Last edited by LensBeginner; 11-11-2014 at 01:52 PM.
11-11-2014, 01:48 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Zenit KM with K mount and Zenit E with M42 and Rolleiflex 2.8F.
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
First time it was a Zenit then I went to a spotmatic,
Great starter cameras! I have a Zenit 19 (export version), but aside from resting my Helios on it, never put a roll through it. Got it here in Canada from a collector...

Meanwhile, I started with a Nikon N8008 waaay back when, and hated it (but it has so many advanced features!!). Fast forward to digital, and I first had a Casio QV3000 and loved not having to scan to get the images into my computer! (NB: I've been retouching photos digitally since the early 90's)

Then it was a Canon 300D (crap), followed by an upgrade to the 20D (less crap), and finally a 1Ds (huge and heavy). Got sick of Canon's insistence I pay top dollar for a giant brick to get even slightly advanced features, and read about Pentax's K10D with the awesome 5-shot AEB for my HDRs and was hooked.
11-11-2014, 01:53 PM   #28
Site Supporter

Fujica ST901 --> Canon EF (it was next to a Pentax on the shelf but had higher x-synch and was black)/AE-1/T-90. Sold it all --> Canon A95/A-520/S-3IS etc --> Pentax K100D (sold) K-20D (sold recently) --> K5 (sold 1, have 1). Also now have Canon 70D and 5D (and 40D to sell).
11-11-2014, 02:16 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Before I went with Pentax for my first digital SLR system (and probably my last) I had Pentax, Canon, Olympus, Minolta, Praktica, and Nikon 35mm SLRs. My last 35mm system before going digital was based around Nikon F2s and Nikomat FT2 bodies.

My first SLR was the venerable Pentax K1000. My first DSLR was the Pentax K100D, so I kinda came full circle. I chose Pentax for my DSLR because of it's high performance to price ratio, backward compatibility with lenses, and build quality.
11-11-2014, 02:31 PM   #30
Site Supporter

My first 35mm camera was a Petri 7s rangefinder. I had lusted after a Nikon F at the time but being 17, in high school and marooned on an Air Force base in the Philippines it was too far a stretch. I settled on the 7s as a graduation gift. I've toyed with the idea of getting another just for nostalgia.

My first SLR was a Mamiya Sekor 500TL which used the Pentax M42 screw mount. I use it for about a year then upgraded to the Spotmatic in a black body. I absolutely loved that camera. Fast forward a few years and I acquired an ME super then a PZ1 followed by a P3.

I had a couple of point and shoot cameras including a canon A200 I believe and a Pentax Optio but I was never really happy with them so I settled on a Nikon P-90 "bridge" camera. Turns out it had all the drawback of a compact point and shoot and none of the advantages of a dslr so I was never completely happy.

I now have a new Pentax K-50 with 2 kit lenses still in the box awaiting my birthday celebration this weekend. I'm so excited I can hardly stand myself.