Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2014, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #31
Forum Member

Kodak - Disc.

11-11-2014, 03:06 PM   #32
Veteran Member

I started on a Nikon FM2 that my parents had when I was a kid. It only had a kit glas, some zoom lens. I also very much enjoyed using video cameras when young (I guess the digital aspect appealed to me... being able to review instantly). Didn't shoot many rolls of film with the FM2 (film is expensive for a kid), but I devoured the actually pretty good manual and learned working in a dark chamber in school.

2003 I bought a Canon PowerShot A60, a great little camera with full manual controls. That helped a lot... I could practice all the basics, what ISO, shutter speed and aperture do without having to spend money on developing film... let alone not remembering what I actually set the camera to.

2008 I was going on a semester abroad, and after that traveling through China. I've been eying DSLRs for a while at that point and knew this was the time... I shouldn't waste such an opportunity. Initially I was heading for a Sigma SD10, it appealed very much to me. It couldn't save JPEG, had a full frame mirror (with an APS-C sensor, so you could see what happens outside the frame. I still think that's a very, very nice feature that I'd love to see in a Pentax). There were also some great deals for my small budget, but those went before I pulled the trigger. The next thing I considered was a second hand Canon, then second hand Nikon. Or perhaps a new D40... they were really cheap back then. For some reason I stumbled across a to me unknown brand called Pentax. Seeing that Pentax has poor resale value on the second hand market (a 2004 Pentax would get me a 2000ish Canon...? And cameras from the early naughts weren't that good) I looked into it... and liked what I saw. Few weeks later I bought a second hand *istDS. In China I then bought a cheap, new Centon 50mm 1.8 and a microprism split screen. A bit later, in Singapore, a camera dealer literally pushed me into buying a Tokina SZ-X 80-200. Again, new lens, very manual, and very affordable. The dealer was desparate to clear his shelf in order to make space for products he can actually sell.

In 2012 my *istDS finally started acting up, the buttons stopped working to an extend that it became rather pointless, the dial at the back had stopped a while back already. The local camera dealer that was specialized in Pentax let me try a K-30 and his own K-5 (with a limited lens... what a beauty!), they were replacing the K-5 with the K-5 II and IIs, which pushed the K-5 into a reasonable enough price range. A quick test of the video functionality of the K-30 convinced me to forget that idea despite the speed of the interface. It had to be the K-5, despite being older, on paper inferior in terms of video (but only on paper), having poorer AF, having to wait a long time to enter a menu after shooting... My employer agreed to pay part of the K-5, and so it was bought. Never regretted it a single day, it's a great camera. The K-3 was a big disappointment to me, which made me even happier with my K-5. Last purchase was a DA 50 1.8, which Pentax Malaysia made an offer on. Despite the lack of markings I love that lens, it's so much better than the Centon (that did break after a while, despite the all metal construction). Though the Centon had a very cool, oval shaped bokeh at the edges, but overall the Pentax lens is better (the official price is way too high though, Canon charges half as much for a probably similar lens).

Hopefully by the time my K-5 dies Pentax will have caught up with competitors, or I will switch brands... or, perhaps, just buy a K-5 II.
11-11-2014, 03:06 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Nice. If I go way back, my first (I was probably7 or 8) was a hand-me-down instamatic 110:

Similarly small frame size to the Disc, and similarly crappy pics. The flash cubes were a lot of fun, though. I think my last P+S (and first 35mm) before I went to SLR was a Minolta, maybe with a power zoom? Hard to remember....
I remember getting a 110 about that age! I was so excited.
11-11-2014, 03:18 PM   #34
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TinaS Quote
You've got to have some serious self-control
Weekend... I think he's got issues, come on just rip the wrapping paper and get in amongst them.

11-11-2014, 03:21 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm an original K mount shooter, and it's because my mom shoot Pentax so I instinctively followed pace. Glad I did... those DA and FA Limiteds are so beautiful I wouldn't exchange them for anything.

I've since "switched' to Nikon, but sitll use my K3 regularly in both my professional and hobby shoots. In my pro shoots it almost always has the FA77 glued to it. And when the rumored 35mm format Pentax comes out I'll be for sure getting it just to use my FA Limited.
11-11-2014, 03:26 PM   #36
Veteran Member

A Box Brownie and a Kodak 1A - seriously. I wish owned the 1A now.

I used to borrow a 35 mm camera prior to buying a Pentax in 1968.
11-11-2014, 03:31 PM   #37
Forum Member

Had some Kodak box cameras way back in the 50's but got my first real camera, a Yashica J3 as a birthday present when I was 18. Upgraded to a Pentax [ne Honeywell] Spotmatic in '67 or '68. Still have that camera and used it off and on upto 2010. Went digital with a K5 in 2012.

11-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #38
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Kodak Brownie. Can't for life of remember what happened to the l'il devil. Wish I'd saved it, just for the memories; life was simpler then.
11-11-2014, 03:56 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've never "switched to Pentax". I've used Pentax since 1988 having researched camera systems and loaning gear from friends since about 1982.
We had a good local Camera shop in Cape Town called Shaps Cameraland owned by a Gerald Shap / Shapiro and he had a good selection of new and used gear, including Pentax. Pentax was better value for money than Nikon so I chose Pentax.
11-11-2014, 04:00 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Used a Canon TLQL and four Pentax MX before switching to digital with a Pentax K7 replaced by a Pentax K5II.
11-11-2014, 04:03 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This weekend? You've got to have some serious self-control.

Yeah, she is serious...
11-11-2014, 04:04 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Started photography with a Panasonic Lumix FZ38 in early 2010, then upgraded to a Pentax Kr in early 2011, upgraded to a K3 a month ago.
11-11-2014, 04:11 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I used a Yashica Lynx range finder through most of the 1960s and '70s before I bought my first Pentax, an MX in 1978.
11-11-2014, 04:12 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Weekend... I think he's got issues, come on just rip the wrapping paper and get in amongst them.
Yeah, *you* tell her that, and while you're at it include my 2 daughters, sons-in-law, grandchildren and other assorted family in the conversation. *smile* At perilously close to 68 years of age and 43 years of marriage I've learned when to push my luck and when to let it go.
11-11-2014, 04:14 PM   #45
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lol You do very well on both counts.
Watch him Tina. He's a charmer. The understatement is part of the schtick!