Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2014, 04:45 PM   #76
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TinaS Quote
Got my eye on you
Good to know you've got my back covered.

11-15-2014, 06:31 PM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axelm7 Quote
I'm curious about what some users in the forum had before going Pentax, doesn't matter if you started using a Canon point-and-shoot or a Nikon FF DSLR. I've always wondered what the reasons for the switch (or upgrade) were, and whether it has to do with flaws in a previous camera from a different brand. Tell us the whole story.

My interest in photography was actually sparked by using a Sony point-and-shoot that belonged to my parents that I took on trips. I spent months learning the basics like the exposure triangle and what all the specs mean in a DSLR and their lenses, and then "upgraded" to my parents' bridge camera, a Canon SX10 IS. Fast forward two years and now I have my own K-50 with three lenses to go with that (18-55, M 50mm 1.7, Sears 135mm 2.8). After initially believing that Nikon was the way to go for a DSLR system (silly me) I started to hear about this brand I'd never heard of before. I didn't like many things about the Sony and the Canon and thought their DSLR bodies would be much better but I still found many įreas of opportunity, particularly the ergonomics and handling. Did some market research and made the decision to buy into the Pentax system. My main concerns were features for the price, weather sealing, and quality lenses for reasonable prices. I was hooked after finding the plethora of manual lenses that can be used in a Pentax, as well as the excellent handling and build of the camera (and dat viewfinder).
I started out using Fuji P&S cameras. I had like 4 of them in turn actually. I started out with a 1.5MP version and worked my way up to a 6MP very DSLR like model. I liked them very much but I needed to be able to change lenses and I couldn't stay with Fuji to do that and have it be affordable. I'd gotten to use some Pentax film stuff, a Spottie, and really liked it, so I went Pentax.

I don't mind other brands. I'm far more into Nikon than Canon when it comes down to it but Pentax gear it's just so comfortable for me that I don't even question my loyalty to it. I can and have used other brands of cameras when necessary. I can pick up and use a Nikon or a Canon and not have any issues but I prefer Pentax. I actually have Oly E-P3's and I really like them too, but Pentax will always be my main brand I think. The ergonomics, it's just works the best for me.
11-16-2014, 01:50 AM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter

As a child, I like many others asked for and recieved a camera for a birthday, it was a Agfa point and shoot camera that took 126 film. Its one redeeming feature was that it gave me the bug for photography. The bug made me save my pocket money and money from odd jobs until I could afford a "real" camera. It took me nine months of saving and an unbelievably cheap sale price of a used Minolta SRT Super and three lens kit from one of my older brother's friends. I grew up with that camera and it travelled the world with me, I still own it and it still works.
My Minolta kit was added to over the years with 9 more bodies and 45 lenses (Damn LBA) as well as other cameras of different brands and formats including Pentax until I came kicking and screaming into the digital age. Strangely none were Canikons!
When it came to a digital SLR I couldn't get one of my beloved Minoltas they had been engulfed by the Sony empire and many of their lenses had been orphaned by mount changes so I had to start anew. I had experience with Pentax cameras so I started with some research into a K7 which became my first Pentax DSLR. I now have a K5, K5IIs and a K3 as well as many Pentax film cameras and my K mount lenses are now numbering as many as my Minolta ones(Damn LBA). I guess I'm now a Pentaxian.
Glenn
11-16-2014, 07:22 AM   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this a trick question? When I started out in photography, I wanted a Canon Ftb or TLb, but couldn't afford either so I bought a cheap Yashica TL Electro that I found in a pawnshop. Eventually, I wanted to start putting the best glass I could afford on that Yashica, so I naturally bought Pentax lenses...and I've been Pentax ever since. I've used other cameras since then in addition to my Pentax gear, but the only brand I switched "from" was Yashica.

11-16-2014, 10:12 AM   #80
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Ok here's the short non scary version.

While based in the Middle East with the military, I was using Nikon F3s (shows how long ago now). Even though they were dust sealed, sand ingress was always an issue, so you had to use multiply bodies, i.e. one pair being cleaned while you used the other pair and then swap them over when you got them back. In those days sand in the film gate put long scratches horizontally across your film and subsequently your images, PP then involved hours with a paint brush.

Well... while on one visit to collect freshly TLC'd cameras, the shop had these newish Pentax LXs in, got leave to take one away to try it with a nifty fifty on, the rest is history and the beginning of a long affair with the brand and my "Ladies"
Was the LX better at keeping sand out of the mirror box than the Nikon?
11-16-2014, 10:14 AM   #81

My first SLR was a Canon AE-1 which I sold after a few years because I didn't use it much. My second was a Pentax MX which I bought for a trip to Ireland. It became my favorite. I liked the way it functioned and how great the images it produced. Unfortunately it was stolen. They no longer made the MX so I gave a Nikon FM2 a try. It was OK but I just didn't like the way it felt while handling. I wish I had an MX again..
11-16-2014, 10:45 AM   #82
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BlakeShellman Quote
My first SLR was a Canon AE-1 which I sold after a few years because I didn't use it much. My second was a Pentax MX which I bought for a trip to Ireland. It became my favorite. I liked the way it functioned and how great the images it produced. Unfortunately it was stolen. They no longer made the MX so I gave a Nikon FM2 a try. It was OK but I just didn't like the way it felt while handling. I wish I had an MX again..
Part of the fun of this thread is hearing all these old, but once familiar, camera names again. I haven't thought about Canon AE-1 for decades. Nice camera I liked but never owned.
11-16-2014, 09:15 PM   #83
Site Supporter

My first was a 1/2 frame, Yashica I think, in the mid 60's. Gave it away and got a Miranda..Don't recall which. It was a dud. In 1978 I got a Canon AE-1 with a 50/1.8. Did anybody call it a nifty fifty back then? Added a 70-210 Zykkor. Gave the camera and 50 to my son when he joined the Navy and bought a Canon A-1. Used it for a number of years and kinda lost interest. My daughter got her Mon a Sony Cyber-Shot in PINK in 2007 or 2008. I used it some and in 2009 I got the bug to get a DSLR. I was also tired of using a pink camera. In January 2010, I bought a K-x with 18-55 and 55-300 DAL package and got on my current journey. Bought a used 20D in 2012 as I wanted a bigger camera. Both have been great. Just ordered a K5lls and should get it on the 19th. I wish Pentax had continued with the 20D size but I'm sure I will love the new camera..

11-17-2014, 04:02 AM   #84

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Part of the fun of this thread is hearing all these old, but once familiar, camera names again. I haven't thought about Canon AE-1 for decades. Nice camera I liked but never owned.

I had a Canon AE1 that I bought around 1979 ( I`d be 19 years old ). I`d been at work a couple of years and one of my work mates had one, it seemed good so I bought the same one.
I still remember the shop I bought it from. It cost me £120 with a 50mm f1.8 lens, which was a fortune to me as I was only earning about £30 a week.

I loved that camera and took it all over the place with me.
My stock response when my parents asked me what I wanted for Christmas was " just get me something for my camera "
Over the years I ended up with a tripod, a motor wind ( 1.5 fps I think ), Canon 70-210 f4, Tamron 135mm Vivitar flash etc.
Then when I was about 30 it broke and I just for some reason went and bought a camera without even doing much research.
That was a Canon 1000FN. Bad decision. I never got on with that machine. So it only saw the light of day to be taken away on holidays or out to weddings etc. It`s still in a cupboard somewhere in my house and I may get it out one day as I`ve been given some black and white film to shoot.

Anyway, I kind of lost the pleasure of photography until about 5 years ago ( aged about 50 ) I was looking around and on a whim! decided to buy a Nikon D40. I enjoyed using it but soon realised I wanted something better so I went for the D90.
Again fine with that, until I happened in a Jessops and picked up a Pentax K5. Something told me I was with the wrong brand with Nikon.

Anyway, I found this forum, researched about all this legacy glass and I`ve finally made the jump to the K5 iis and I couldn`t be happier.

Limpet
11-17-2014, 09:24 AM   #85
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by limpet Quote
I had a Canon AE1 that I bought around 1979 ( I`d be 19 years old ). I`d been at work a couple of years and one of my work mates had one, it seemed good so I bought the same one.
I still remember the shop I bought it from. It cost me £120 with a 50mm f1.8 lens, which was a fortune to me as I was only earning about £30 a week.

I loved that camera and took it all over the place with me.
My stock response when my parents asked me what I wanted for Christmas was " just get me something for my camera "
Over the years I ended up with a tripod, a motor wind ( 1.5 fps I think ), Canon 70-210 f4, Tamron 135mm Vivitar flash etc.
Then when I was about 30 it broke and I just for some reason went and bought a camera without even doing much research.
That was a Canon 1000FN. Bad decision. I never got on with that machine. So it only saw the light of day to be taken away on holidays or out to weddings etc. It`s still in a cupboard somewhere in my house and I may get it out one day as I`ve been given some black and white film to shoot.

Anyway, I kind of lost the pleasure of photography until about 5 years ago ( aged about 50 ) I was looking around and on a whim! decided to buy a Nikon D40. I enjoyed using it but soon realised I wanted something better so I went for the D90.
Again fine with that, until I happened in a Jessops and picked up a Pentax K5. Something told me I was with the wrong brand with Nikon.

Anyway, I found this forum, researched about all this legacy glass and I`ve finally made the jump to the K5 iis and I couldn`t be happier.

Limpet
I went to Pentax from the AE because I hated the new EF stuff in part (and the fact that they abandoned all the users with all the legacy glass - long term that was probably a good move on their part as it allowed them to focus wholly on building an AF system
11-17-2014, 09:59 AM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I went to Pentax from the AE because I hated the new EF stuff in part (and the fact that they abandoned all the users with all the legacy glass - long term that was probably a good move on their part as it allowed them to focus wholly on building an AF system
I did own the AE-1 in the film days (as I knew nothing better ).... and I probably took may be a total of less than a thousand shots (mostly on the shelf); I used a Ricoh P&S instead. In the digital age, I started with the Olympus D40 P&S and then jumped on K100D when it was released (at that time, almost everyone bought the Rebel or Nikon D40).
11-17-2014, 10:12 AM   #87
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I did own the AE-1 in the film days (as I knew nothing better ).... and I probably took may be a total of less than a thousand shots (mostly on the shelf); I used a Ricoh P&S instead. In the digital age, I started with the Olympus D40 P&S and then jumped on K100D when it was released (at that time, almost everyone bought the Rebel or Nikon D40).
I loved the AE it was a very good camera - though I liked the A1 better who didn't in manual focus days I think they all had some pretty special cameras (Oly had the fantastic OM series, Minolta SRT were pretty nice, Pentax well too many but for me KX/MX/LX and DMD are tough to beat. Nikon F/F2/F3/FE all amazing.....even the entry level cameras like the spotmatic were good enough for pro work (lots of spotmatics littered around Vietnam I'll bet - used to be a guy here who shot with one for the army)
11-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #88
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I loved the AE it was a very good camera - though I liked the A1 better who didn't in manual focus days I think they all had some pretty special cameras (Oly had the fantastic OM series, Minolta SRT were pretty nice, Pentax well too many but for me KX/MX/LX and DMD are tough to beat. Nikon F/F2/F3/FE all amazing.....even the entry level cameras like the spotmatic were good enough for pro work (lots of spotmatics littered around Vietnam I'll bet - used to be a guy here who shot with one for the army)
Eddie, good to see that you are back... I see you still have your k-7. I owned the k-7 before but sold it. At the time I had the k-7, I was on the edge of jumping off possibly to fully frame (Canon 5D or Nikon D700) as those were the prominent/popular ones available at the time when dealing with high ISO noise was considered the imminent issue. Faster forward years later, now I have the k-5IIs and some DA* and FA limited glasses (assortment of fast MF glasses), I am doing okay as my main interest is in event/stage photography. The extra reach of APS-C without having to haul heavy duty glasses suits me well. Not to say that FF is not good, it just works better for me with lighter and smaller gear set up and the k-5IIs high ISO issue is holding quite well. Now, I can afford the time to patiently wait for Pentax to come out with their new toy.
11-17-2014, 10:39 AM   #89
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Eddie, good to see that you are back... I see you still have your k-7. I owned the k-7 before but sold it. At the time I had the k-7, I was on the edge of jumping off possibly to fully frame (Canon 5D or Nikon D700) as those were the prominent/popular ones available at the time when dealing with high ISO noise was considered the imminent issue. Faster forward years later, now I have the k-5IIs and some DA* and FA limited glasses (assortment of fast MF glasses), I am doing okay as my main interest is in event/stage photography. The extra reach of APS-C without having to haul heavy duty glasses suits me well. Not to say that FF is not good, it just works better for me with lighter and smaller gear set up and the k-5IIs high ISO issue is holding quite well. Now, I can afford the time to patiently wait for Pentax to come out with their new toy.
When I shot a lot of music (I do it far less now) I only ever saw 1 other guy shooting Pentax in the pit (and only at rockabilly shows, first time he was still shooting film)
I'm shooting mostly with My Fuji XE2 now (bought with Insurance money from stolen Pentax kit) I was on the verge of getting the K3 and lenses but I really wanted a change and the Fuji just hit the sweet spot of everything I tried. I'll likely upgrade the Pentax at some point for longer lenses and zooms but the fuji primes are really nice for now. I thought about change in the past due to low light issues as well. Guys I know shooting Canon and Nikon always seemed well ahead on performance, now thee canon guys see the K5iis and K3 performance and wonder why they would buy that 7d

Last edited by eddie1960; 11-17-2014 at 10:47 AM.
11-17-2014, 11:44 AM   #90
Site Supporter

In elementary school my first camera was a ten dollar 126 Instamatic knock-off made by Imperial,
followed by a Kodak Brownie Hawkeye that used 110 film, a mail order promotion IIRC.

In junior high school my first adjustable lens 35mm camera was a Ricoh 500G rangefinder.

My first 35mm SLR was a used Canon AE-1 I got in high school, followed by an A-1.
I was pretty turned off by hexaphotocybernetics (a Canon marketing neologism),
so I traded the Canon gear in for a new Nikon FM. In college I added a used FTn Photomic.

When those were stolen I replaced them with a brand new FM2n. I never really warmed up to it,
and after working in camera repair for about a year I began to lose interest in photography.

Ten years on, after selling the FM2n I discovered eBay, and decided to try a couple Ricoh/Sears K-mount SLRs.
When those broke as they inevitably do I upgraded to a Pentax KX and have never looked back.

Thanks to the extraordinary skills of repairman Eric Hendrickson (pentaxs.com)
I've been able to sample many of the best classic Pentax 35mm film SLRs and lenses.

I credit Eric as the most important factor in making me stick with Pentax for the last fifteen years.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 11-17-2014 at 02:11 PM.