Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2014, 02:15 PM   #106
Marketplace Reseller

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Many of the old Miolta lenses are quite good and stack up well against Pentax glass. Ufortunately, they have a very short register distance and so have been less adaptable to modern equipment, although they are getting a more attention now that more serious mirrorless offerings are available.

Minolta had an interesting philsophy of trying to make the color rendering of every one of their lenses as similar as possible across all lenses so you could switch lengths on the same roll of film without having to adjust your filters. They also used a different sharpness approach that they supposedly borrowed from Leica. As a result, the Minoltas often produce a very different, albeit still excellent, look than their Pentax counterparts.

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
I grew up using a Minolta SLR... I never really knew the details of using the camera other than the concept of Shutter Speed and ISO (Aperture was lost on me). Most importantly, that camera was quite sharp. Finishing with College, I decided that I NEEDED a digital camera, but being out of camera could only afford a P&S (Fuji). A few years later and finishing grad school, I NEEDED something like a SLR so I purchased a prosumer type extreme zoom Panasonic Camera. After a few years of that, I realized that nothing was getting me back to the sharpness of my Minolta. I learned more about cameras, and decided I needed a SLR.

Of course all along I still have the Minolta, but there are no Minolta cameras out there. I then begin debating over Canon and Nikon but still being relatively poor start looking at my options for lenses, especially on the used front. Then I find Pentax and I'm instantly drawn to it. The K20 just came out so I purchased the K10d on clearance. Now I finally know how to use an SLR, and I'm considering buying some film to give my Minolta some more use. I'm curious at how its lenses hold up compared to some of the fine Pentax glass I've obtained.

11-25-2014, 03:32 PM   #107
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought my first Pentax from my brother-in-law back in 1984. I bought a K1000 body with a 50mm lens, a basic Pentax flash, a few filters and a camera bag. My dad was always was taking pictures with his Polaroid and I wanted to be able take pictures too. I started teaching myself the basics and got a few books from the local library. A friend of my parents who was photographer said I should shoot slide film on my K1000. He said if you can get correct exposure on slides with a manual camera film will be a breeze. I shot and developed my own slides on Ektachrome. Eventually I graduated to a ME then to a MX then finally to a Super Program. I used that Super Program until I bought my K10D seven years ago. Now this week I will be stepping up to a K3 that I purchased from B&H on their bundle special. I like the fact that I can still use every lens that I have ever bought without any adapters. I have forty year old lens that I soon will be using on camera that was designed in 2013. So I still have that K1000 and it still works. I will never part with it. It is the camera that taught me photography. The first camera I used was a Pentax and the last camera I use will hopefully be a Pentax.

---------- Post added 11-25-14 at 05:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stens Quote
Started with a Pentax ME that I bought in high school (I bought it new...if that dates me at all). Shot that for years, then a SF-1n, after the ME ate a lot of dust on the Annapurna circuit trek in 1991. I also had a Pentax IQ Zoom point and shoot 35 mm. When I decided to go digital, I had a Sony 3.2 megapixel point and shoot. At some point, I upgraded to a nice little Canon point and shoot.

I knew I'd go back to the SLRs when I was ready, but the advances were so fast I never bit before the next new thing was coming. Finally, I decided that was a ridiculous attitude, and fortunately the K5 came out, right on my schedule. I bought that for the usual Pentax reasons: compact, ergonomic, weather resistant; plus, I had some old glass around. Now I've got the K3, which I love. Hopefully, I can get out and shoot some this weekend.
I bought a ME in high school too. I had a K1000 that I bought in middle school before that. After high school I bought a Super Program new. I held out forever too until I bought a K10D ,7 years ago. I used that Super Program for 20 years.
11-25-2014, 08:19 PM   #108
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Many of the old Miolta lenses are quite good and stack up well against Pentax glass. Ufortunately, they have a very short register distance and so have been less adaptable to modern equipment, although they are getting a more attention now that more serious mirrorless offerings are available.

Minolta had an interesting philsophy of trying to make the color rendering of every one of their lenses as similar as possible across all lenses so you could switch lengths on the same roll of film without having to adjust your filters. They also used a different sharpness approach that they supposedly borrowed from Leica. As a result, the Minoltas often produce a very different, albeit still excellent, look than their Pentax counterparts.
I have a stack of old (super sharp) Konica Hexanon lenses that do not work on my Pentax bodies. I tried them on my friend's Sony NEX7 and they are beyond words. I wish I could use them on my K3.
11-25-2014, 08:35 PM   #109
Forum Member

Minolta X-700 (great camera), then switched to a Pentax ZX-7 for autofocus. ME Super SE and K1000 followed (photo classes). K-7 into digital, and now K-3.

11-25-2014, 10:18 PM   #110
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I started with Minolta and I still keep the X-700 and 8 lenses. When Minolta changed mount and start AF system, I felt betrayed. I looked around, and found Canon did the samething. so I went Pentax super A, and started some M lenses. Dreamed LX but of course could not afford it. I used Nikon for a while when photograph could sometime bring me a little $ but eventually pentax only. Like the lenses, love the size of both the camera and lenses. First DSLR was K100D. Will stay with pentax as long as pentax stays with me (mount compatibility).