Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #1
Forum Member

Which camera/brand did you use before switching to Pentax and why?

I'm curious about what some users in the forum had before going Pentax, doesn't matter if you started using a Canon point-and-shoot or a Nikon FF DSLR. I've always wondered what the reasons for the switch (or upgrade) were, and whether it has to do with flaws in a previous camera from a different brand. Tell us the whole story.

My interest in photography was actually sparked by using a Sony point-and-shoot that belonged to my parents that I took on trips. I spent months learning the basics like the exposure triangle and what all the specs mean in a DSLR and their lenses, and then "upgraded" to my parents' bridge camera, a Canon SX10 IS. Fast forward two years and now I have my own K-50 with three lenses to go with that (18-55, M 50mm 1.7, Sears 135mm 2.8). After initially believing that Nikon was the way to go for a DSLR system (silly me) I started to hear about this brand I'd never heard of before. I didn't like many things about the Sony and the Canon and thought their DSLR bodies would be much better but I still found many áreas of opportunity, particularly the ergonomics and handling. Did some market research and made the decision to buy into the Pentax system. My main concerns were features for the price, weather sealing, and quality lenses for reasonable prices. I was hooked after finding the plethora of manual lenses that can be used in a Pentax, as well as the excellent handling and build of the camera (and dat viewfinder).

11-11-2014, 11:24 AM   #2
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was using Panasonic FZ70 (sold it), and still have the FZ40. I wanted to get back into DSLR, and Pentax was my choice, as a friend has used Pentax for years, and loves it, and his photos are outstanding.
11-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #3
Forum Member

Had a Fuji s5700 bridge, and was never really happy with the quality of the photos so decided to get a k30. Nice features and weather sealed at a sensible price. Its comparability with older sh lenses was also a consideration. I just ppl with cscs would stop buying prime lenses on eBay and hiking up the prices.
11-11-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by axelm7 Quote
Which camera/brand did you use before switching to Pentax and why?
Nikon and sand, but it's a real long story.

11-11-2014, 11:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I shot Minolta, (XD7), but the family needed something else, so I bought an MZ 7 with 2x zoom lenses.

When the time came to move to a DSLR, Minolta was no more, I had Pentax lenses, and wanted to remain an individual (so no Canikon for me). Bought a K100D, then a month later, a K100DS, then 6 months later a K20D, then a year after that a K5II.
11-11-2014, 12:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Before digital I had a Canon point & shoot. My first digital camera was an HP. When it died I upgraded to Kodak z981. I outgrew that quickly, and wanted a Pentax dslr, but couldn't afford it. So, I bought a Canon sx260 - decent P&S, but didn't do what I needed, and I was left disappointed and frustrated. My first dslr is my current K-x. I'm happy.
11-11-2014, 12:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
iphone and an old kodak PnS.

11-11-2014, 12:04 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Nikon and sand, but it's a real long story.

Let's hear it! The longer the better.
11-11-2014, 12:06 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just for a laugh...
Kodak Instamatic, Canon AE1 Program, Fuji MX700, Fuji S8000

The Canon saw many many years of use (right up to when I got my k-x). Shutter started making noises but was still working fine when I eventually sold it. May have still been using Canon if they had not changed mount without any backward compatibility.
11-11-2014, 12:06 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
I shot Minolta, (XD7), but the family needed something else, so I bought an MZ 7 with 2x zoom lenses.

When the time came to move to a DSLR, Minolta was no more, I had Pentax lenses, and wanted to remain an individual (so no Canikon for me). Bought a K100D, then a month later, a K100DS, then 6 months later a K20D, then a year after that a K5II.
How/why did you have the Pentax lenses?
11-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Started with Pentax. Had one, brief excursion into the Canon world, then came running back. I learned as a kid on Pentax SLR's, which is what my father used. Tried Canon in the late nineties (the Andre Agassi EOS era), but went back to Pentax when my father decided to hand over his gear to me and switch to a point & shoot.
11-11-2014, 12:18 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I came directly from a Panasonic bridge camera, but my first love was a simple Olympus Stylus p&s film camera. I took that little thing everywhere.
11-11-2014, 12:18 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I used to use my dad's Twin Lens Reflex Ricohflex 6x6...until I got my own. My first one was a Pentax SV. FF is really small compared to what I started on.
11-11-2014, 12:30 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Before I went with a Kx I had a Sony Cybershot 6mp P&S and before that a 4mp Vivitar. Before that it was a Vivitar P&S film camera that I wore out the film winder in. It got to where it would tear the film about half way through a roll more often than not.
11-11-2014, 12:41 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Shot Minolta SLR's SRT 202 and X-700 for years. My first digital was a 3mp PS camera from Fujifilm in 2003. Shot that until my first Pentax camera - K10d - in 2008. The rest is history...er...Pentax.