Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2014, 12:34 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I frequently carry two bodies when hiking to avoid awkward lens changes in dusty places. This past October I spent several days hiking in SE Utah with a K3, K5 and K-01. They all fit in a sling bag and I was astonished how light it was to carry. I had the Da*50-135, the DA15 and the DA*16-50 lenses. On a couple of days I also had the Q kit with me. We had to do a lot of scrambling so it was a real test of carrying multiple cameras and lenses and I think it went well.

11-11-2014, 01:07 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
A picture is worth a thousand words, although days like today, I went out with the 18-135 and one body.
That bug hat is the reason I don't visit Algonquin Park!

I did pack one for our trip to Borneo but the only place we saw mosquitoes was the airport ...
11-11-2014, 01:11 PM - 3 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

A real good reason to have a second body handy. This is an acquaintance, and this shot went viral.
11-11-2014, 01:19 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I frequently carry two bodies when hiking to avoid awkward lens changes in dusty places. This past October I spent several days hiking in SE Utah with a K3, K5 and K-01. They all fit in a sling bag and I was astonished how light it was to carry. I had the Da*50-135, the DA15 and the DA*16-50 lenses. On a couple of days I also had the Q kit with me. We had to do a lot of scrambling so it was a real test of carrying multiple cameras and lenses and I think it went well.
while this is true for short lenses, it does not hold for long stuff.

my tripod is about 6 kilos , add to that my tamron 200-500/5.6 (3 likos) my sigma 70-200/2.8 (1.5 kilos) a couple of bodies and other stuff and you are looking at about 12-15 kilos all up. this is quite a load, but i am still young enough and fit enough to pack it when i want to.

as i said for city trekking, 2 bodies and 2 lenses is all there is, one in a shoulder bag, the other in hand. light, easy on theback, etc...

11-11-2014, 01:19 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
That bug hat is the reason I don't visit Algonquin Park!

I did pack one for our trip to Borneo but the only place we saw mosquitoes was the airport ...
You only need it for may and june you know... there has to be a better reason than that.

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
A real good reason to have a second body handy. This is an acquaintance, and this shot went viral.
I started a thread on that one here....
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/173-general-photography/277586-would-you-...ur-camera.html

QuoteQuote:
Looks like a cross between a swamp monster, a crazy photographer and a guerrilla fighter!
I've been told I smell like swamp monster, but if i were a guerrilla fighter, there'd be no room for ammo.
11-11-2014, 01:21 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Not usually my problem, but I did have a goat trying to chimp as I was photographing his friends this past weekend.

Here are a few images from the past weekend (not really relevant to the thread - sharing "just because").
Attached Images

11-11-2014, 01:42 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I try to use just one body. I do not like my photos out of sequence, and it takes too much effort (usually) to fix that.

If I am out with the 17mm TS, I might take both a cropped and FF body for the diferent angle of view they provide.

11-11-2014, 02:17 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
When I do portrait shoots, I carry two bodies to avoid lens changes. Otherwise, I usually just go with one.
11-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #24
Staff Writer

When I was a professional photojournalist I carried three bodies: an LX with Tri-X and the 20/4; an LX with Tri-X and the 135/1.8; and an MX with Ektachrome and a zoom. When shooting is your job there are no excuses for missing "the shot" if you want to remain employed.

Nowadays I'm an amateur. I carry a Q7 body as my daily driver, generally with the 08. (FABULOUS lens, BTB.) When I do small jobs as favors, I shoot just two bodies - with digital there's no need for separate B&W and color setups; I just shoot everything RAW+ and handle in processing. That's generally been a Q and my K20d, but the Q7/08 is better than the K20d and kit lens. So I'm thinking I'm gonna have to start saving for the @#$%!! 645z...

Cjf
11-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I usually carry either my DSLR plus a film camera or two film cameras, but I've been known to carry up to four cameras at a time. This is just for pleasure though, no paid work or anything like that.
11-11-2014, 02:58 PM   #26
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by cjfeola Quote
When shooting is your job there are no excuses for missing "the shot" if you want to remain employed
That was very well put and was once said to me in not so many words.

These days I don't do any work for them at all, because I don't need too and choose not too, what goes around comes around.
11-11-2014, 03:11 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Really depends on what I'm doing...

When I'm shooting professionally my D800 and My K3 are always on me. Depending on the event will depend on which camera is primary. The primary camera will be fitted with either the 24-70 or 70-200 equivilent zoom while the secondary camera will have a prime on it. Usually this is 70-200 f2.8 VRII on the Nikon and FA 77mm f1.8 on the Pentax...because well... Pixie Dust. (or DA*50-135 f2.8 and Nikon 135mm f2.0 because... Pixie dust)

I've also decided at my last fashion shoot I did this summer to go LX and K3. Yea, you heard me, film and digital for a paid fashion shoot. The film images were arguably better....

Urban exploring? Depends on what my goal is, if I'm doing ultra wide stuff Nikon D800 with 16-35 Tokina f4 and my Pentax LX with the FA 31 and 43 in my pocket.

Chances are I usually have at least two cameras with me unless it's a family event or I'm practicing a certain tecnique, and almost always that second camera is film and either my LX or my 645.
11-11-2014, 03:18 PM   #28

Back in the film days I had two bodies, one for bw and one for chrome. Once I went digital I used one body only. However, I just took advantage of the K5IIs deal to go with my K-3. Most of the time I will only carry one of the two at a time but it will be nice to have the insurance of a second body for trips. I hope to take an once in a life time trip to Madagascar in a year or so. My current plan will be to have the 55-300mm on the K-3 and a 20-40mm on the IIs if the price comes down again. Everything will be small enough to carry with less lens changes in rough conditions. Throw in the 15mm and 100mm macro to have a pretty small but powerful package.
11-11-2014, 03:44 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm thinking I might start... now that I actually have two bodies...
K100DS with long lenses (better AF and my long lenses are mostly sh*t anyhow so wouldn't benefit much from the added resolution)
K-01 with short lenses
I still have only one base plate and must buy a couple of sling straps (or a dual camera sling/harness)
But I'm intrugued by all these possibilities... I often use two zoom lenses and I wouldn't have to swap them this way...
Also a harness would be far more practical and easy on my neck than a single DSLR with a neckstrap... I don't mind the added weight, as long as it's carried by my shoulders with padded straps...
11-11-2014, 03:53 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd love to carry (and own) more gear, but my wife won't let me!