Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2014, 04:35 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I'd love to carry (and own) more gear, but my wife won't let me!
How long have you been married? You haven't figured out how to get around the wife yet? Even with all the advice offered over in "Why I won't buy a K-3."? Come on, you're not trying hard enough.

11-11-2014, 04:37 PM   #32
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I use two K-30 bodies. I only have to remember the controls for one camera model. If it's a shortish walk I carry both. For me the advantage of two bodies is not redundancy but to avoid having to change lenses when I might miss a shot and/or get dust in the camera.

I usually use a wide angle (12-24) on one and a tele on the other, but sometimes other combinations, eg
- Tamron 18-250 on one and 35, 50 or 100 on the other. This is a good walkaround combination.
- Pentax 55-300 on one and 100 on the other (for flowers and macro)
- 55-300 on one and 170-500 on the other, when birding. The 55-300 is easier to use for qucik shots when birds are flitting around closer by. The 170-500 is better for more reach, and when I have a clear view (e.g. at a hide).

I notice that the responses in this thread suggest that people with two different bodies generally put a longer lens on the one with the higher mp count. I guess that, paradoxically, longer tele shots are more often cropped. (That is my experience too. Even a bird shot at 500mm usually requires some cropping, whereas wide angle landscapes etc often don't.)

---------- Post added 11-12-14 at 10:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
How long have you been married? You haven't figured out how to get around the wife yet? Even with all the advice offered over in "Why I won't buy a K-3."? Come on, you're not trying hard enough.
There might be a correlation between serious photography and divorce rates! Or to put it another way, some people love their Takumars more than their spouse!

Norm's solution of marrying a serious photographer isn't available to all of us.
11-11-2014, 04:58 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Never. My wife might have one that I occasionally carry but generally I use one camera at a time.
11-11-2014, 05:00 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I use two K-30 bodies. I only have to remember the controls for one camera model. If it's a shortish walk I carry both. For me the advantage of two bodies is not redundancy but to avoid having to change lenses when I might miss a shot and/or get dust in the camera.

There might be a correlation between serious photography and divorce rates! Or to put it another way, some people love their Takumars more than their spouse!

Norm's solution of marrying a serious photographer isn't available to all of us.
Ya in my case, I just tell her it's for her, and then ask to borrow it every now and then...
She loves it when I spend a lot of money on her.

11-11-2014, 05:07 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just smashed my K-3, and got a K5ii replacement. But that is temporary, and as soon as it is possible, I will get another K-3, mount my 300 mm on one and a wide angle zoom on the other - and be prepared for anything....
11-11-2014, 05:10 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

18 Years Norm! And, no - I've not figured it out yet!
11-11-2014, 05:12 PM   #37
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ya in my case, I just tell her it's for her, and then ask to borrow it every now and then...
She loves it when I spend a lot of money on her.
You'd better hope Tess isn't reading this!

11-11-2014, 05:15 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
You'd better hope Tess isn't reading this!
For sure, I should be more careful. She might start asking for girly stuff.

---------- Post added 11-11-14 at 07:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
18 Years Norm! And, no - I've not figured it out yet!
That's the trouble with wives, they can be really smart.
11-11-2014, 05:20 PM   #39
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
She loves it when I spend a lot of money on her
I can't believe you said that and that you hoped to get away with it.

A mushroom cooking Tess will no doubt be making you a toxic brew, days could be numbered for you Norm.
11-11-2014, 05:27 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a back pack with just my film cameras, my ME Super and either the ZX-M or ZX-5n. I usually only shot B&W but sometimes I'll have a body with color film loaded. I always take two film bodies, but my DSLR bag is only the K-x since I don't have but one digital SLR body. I have duplicate accessories and specific manual lenses for the film stuff so the "digital" bag and the film back pack are stand alone... I can just grab and go. I didn't want to be moving equipment around between bags.
11-11-2014, 05:36 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Certainly, i the days of film, I routinely carried around two bodies. (Camera bodies)
11-11-2014, 07:34 PM   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I often carry both my dSLR and a film SLR.

Steve
11-11-2014, 07:44 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I always carry a prime (35/43) and a telephoto (F70-210) with a DSLR (KX or K30) and one of the Q (with either 02 or 01) for those "quickies"
11-11-2014, 08:02 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I carry one body and a couple of lenses almost everywhere, strictly as an enthusiast, my paid shooting days are over,

Some times out in the field, specifically for wildlife, I will have one body mounted on the Bigma on a tripod, and a second body with a short-medium zoom (would love the opportunity to duplicate that bear shot!) over my shoulder.

I do some volunteer work for a local non-profit art gallery, and shoot events for them, usually indoors and flash not welcome, so it's my fast primes, I carry a wide and a short tele, one on each body (K3 & K5) to cover it,
I have hand straps on the grip (right) side of my cameras, and the Pentax issue straps rigged off the left side, so the bodies hang "sideways" I can swap back and forth pretty well, moving one from the shoulder to the hand, and back as I need to get a different shot.

I've never had a camera fail on me in the field, so hard to use the argument that you need "backup" but it does offer peace of mind to know that you are covered.

My wife enjoys shooting too, so she does not mind (too much) when L/CBA strikes.
11-11-2014, 10:44 PM   #45
Staff Writer

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
That was very well put and was once said to me in not so many words.

These days I don't do any work for them at all, because I don't need too and choose not too, what goes around comes around.
Truth. I do enjoy shooting much more these days. Though, ironically, I find I'm much harder on myself. I was much more likely to settle for "good enough for the boss" when I was averaging a half-dozen published pix a day. Get it done, get to the next one. These days I'm much more fussy. But I do enjoy it!

Cjf