Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2014, 11:54 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I do. For work mostly, but also for play sometimes. Two WR bodies for work was a must for me. I don't have time to be messing around changing lenses, cards, etc. My clients hate waiting on me while I do that stuff. They don't get in my face about it but I can tell. Having two bodies gives me a backup in case one camera suddenly dies or gets damaged in some way. It allows me to switch off between two lens lengths. I don't have to change out memory cards or batteries as often. I can just get the job done and get my clients on their way.

I also have two Olympus E-P3 M43 cameras for that reason. I almost had 3 actually for a minute there but one of them turned out to have an issue and I had to return it. I loved my first E-P3 from the moment I got it and I knew I was going to have at least 2 that I wanted a backup camera for those. I don't want to be without one. I don't like the earlier or the later Pens nearly as much. I really like the E-P3. Of all the Pen's it's the one I can see myself using forever.

I'm the same with my K-30's. I'm totally in love with my K-30's. I'm seriously thinking I might pick up another one next year in blue just to make triple sure I will likely have at least one working K-30 for a very long time to come. I'm very happy with both my K-30's and my E-P3's. I can see myself happily using them for the rest of my life, if I can just get them all to last that long. I figure 3 of each I might get a couple of decades out of them all, at the least. I just might have 25-30 years left in me, if I am lucky. I'd like to still be shooting with these cameras when I finally do wear out myself.

No kidding. This is it. This combo is photographic perfection, for me. It's all I want, period. I do still want the WR 18-135mm and maybe a AF DA* prime someday if I ever get rich, lol, but that's about it. My dream kit is 99.99 percent DONE.

Last edited by magkelly; 11-12-2014 at 12:02 AM.
11-12-2014, 12:06 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am an unprofessional who like others will frequently carry a film and digi body around when making pictures.... I don't very often actually shoot with the film body as I am quite the cheapskate about it.. 😊
11-12-2014, 12:44 AM   #48
Veteran Member

MZ-5N and K-01.
11-12-2014, 03:33 AM   #49
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
For work I shoot with a K5ii/18-55mm and a K-01/50mm 1.8. The company that I work for builds websites for local businesses, doctors, artists, etc. The K5ii shoots interiors, exteriors, signage, group shots, products, or whatever else needs covered, and the K-01 comes out for portraits, close-up product shots, and when light is scarce. People seem relaxed and less intimidated when I use the K-01 for headshots and portraits.

I also bring along my Q sometimes with the 03 fisheye just in case an interesting angle presents itself.

These days, when I'm out on the trail I try to limit myself to one body and maybe two lenses. I used to load myself down with too many options and would end up concentrating on my back pain instead of taking photographs. That said I still sometimes throw the Q/03 in my bag because it hardly takes up any space.

11-12-2014, 04:13 AM   #50
Veteran Member

I don't, well, I have my phone with me, and if I have a tele lens and need something wide quick I might shoot a raw photo with my phone instead. I think one camera is more than enough for me.

But if want to use 2 cameras, and I can see the appeal, but worry about your back... why not go for a lighter second body? i.e. K-01 or K-S1? Or even perhaps some Fuji... with a nice walk around lens. You can bring around that Fuji even if you don't intend to shoot... the best camera is the one you've got with you.
11-12-2014, 08:29 AM   #51
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just might bring both K-3 and K-x to a photo trip. Especially at night, leave the one doing long startrails/timelapse and have fun doing shorter exposures with the other. On the other hand, I am in process of converting my girlfriend to a pentaxian (I lent her my K-x for a beginners photography workshop), so maybe I am going to be left with one body only At least it will stay "in the family", as I am not planning to sell it, after all, who would by an entry level DSLR with shutter count of 35 000?
11-12-2014, 08:51 AM   #52
Veteran Member

If you're going to wear multiple cameras simultaneously, look into a two-camera rig to hang them from.
Cameras like to bang together when hanging around one's neck.

The most I have ever worn is the K-3, 645N, and a 6x9 rangefinder that weighs a kilo (plus a light meter, a bag of lenses, extra film, and a tripod).
For a normal out & about day, its just the K-50 with whatever old lens I'm playing with, plus an old Kodak Preview APS instamatic stashed in the camera bag.

11-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #53
Veteran Member

I frequently carry two bodies. In good weather that would be the K-3 and Sony a6000. In wet weather, K-3 and K20D.

- Heavy combos (K-3/DA*300, or DSLR with flash & zoom) are carried on a sling, with a second body and spare lenses in a messenger bag.
- I can fit the K-3 and DA 55-300mm, and a6000 with lens mounted, plus a couple of spare lenses, in a mid-sized messenger bag. If I'm not birding, that is a highly versatile setup.
11-12-2014, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
How long have you been married? You haven't figured out how to get around the wife yet? Even with all the advice offered over in "Why I won't buy a K-3."? Come on, you're not trying hard enough.
QuoteOriginally posted by rRnt Quote
I just might bring both K-3 and K-x to a photo trip. Especially at night, leave the one doing long startrails/timelapse and have fun doing shorter exposures with the other. On the other hand, I am in process of converting my girlfriend to a pentaxian (I lent her my K-x for a beginners photography workshop), so maybe I am going to be left with one body only At least it will stay "in the family", as I am not planning to sell it, after all, who would by an entry level DSLR with shutter count of 35 000?
The simple solution I employed was to give Mr frogoutofwater a Pentax for Christmas one year, so now we are a Pentax family. Therefore, I can justify all of my purchases as "shopping for two". (Although the WR 55-300 and the 77m f1.8 are "mine, all mine".)

rRnt - That's a good start. Once you've got her hooked on photography, then you can buy another camera body "to share" - for example a K-5IIs. If you really love her, then you'll let her use the K-5IIs and the K-x will become the back-up camera. When Mr frogoutofwater's K-30 failed on a trip a few months ago, I went out and got him a K-5IIs. Now that the K-30 has been repaired, it serves as our back-up body. But of course, I don't feel like using the K-30 as my second camera body, so I think I'm going to have to get a fourth body, so that we each have one main camera and one back-up.

Last edited by frogoutofwater; 11-12-2014 at 09:26 AM.
11-12-2014, 04:41 PM   #55
Forum Member

i put a 18-250 on one and sigma 120-400 on the other body for day shoots
I put a 17-70 on one camera and 70-200 f2.8 on the other body for night shoots
if the weather is bad I put a 18-55 wr on one lens and 55-300 wr on the other body
11-17-2014, 03:12 PM   #56

If not just going for a walk or to the shops, at least 2 bodies
For concerts: K-500 with 50mm f1/.7 (or 28/135mm f2.8) and K1000/MX or Fujica STX-1 with 50mm loaded with Tri-X. Nikon D60 with it's lenses as back-up in my backpack or when I'm taking photo's with flash & second-curtain sync lying on the side of the stage or on my shoulder. K-500 on my right shoulder/hip (free to use), strap of the analog cam going from my right shoulder to my left hip and attached to my pants and strap of the K500 with carabiners. Nikon D60 when carrying it, strap from my left shoulder to my back and attached by a carabiner. Instead of attatching the straps to the carabiner, I attach them to a key ring so they don't move around too much.
For weddings/events: K-500 with 50mm or 135mm, Nikon D60 with 35 or 50mm. One on the right side, the other on the left side.
City-trips/hiking/festivals: K-500's strap attached at shoulder height to my backpack's shoulder strap with 2 carabiners, in my hand or in a camera case on the side of the backpack. When not raining, often a lens in a mesh pocket of my backpack. Same setup for the analog cam I'm carrying at that moment at the other side. Other analog camera with different shutter speed and extra lenses in the backpack with the rest of my stuff.
Some events: Same as for city-trips but with a second analog camera with different focal length or film speed attached to backpack, same side as the other analog camera but attached high on the shoulder strap (shoulder height).
And I don't use a photo-backpack as I find a normal hiking backpack more useful (easier to attach stuff, size it down when not full,...)
11-17-2014, 03:21 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PeaceFroggy Quote
If not just going for a walk or to the shops, at least 2 bodies
For concerts: K-500 with 50mm f1/.7 (or 28/135mm f2.8) and K1000/MX or Fujica STX-1 with 50mm loaded with Tri-X. Nikon D60 with it's lenses as back-up in my backpack or when I'm taking photo's with flash & second-curtain sync lying on the side of the stage or on my shoulder. K-500 on my right shoulder/hip (free to use), strap of the analog cam going from my right shoulder to my left hip and attached to my pants and strap of the K500 with carabiners. Nikon D60 when carrying it, strap from my left shoulder to my back and attached by a carabiner. Instead of attatching the straps to the carabiner, I attach them to a key ring so they don't move around too much.
*snip*
Wow... that's quite a setup... and a clever way of juggling multiple cameras!
Won't the D60 bounce with the analog camera too much? or you just switch them keeping one in the backpack at all times?
11-17-2014, 04:38 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I usually have a K5 and K5-IIs with me when I go our to take photographs, I have some sort of non name brand camera bag that I got well over 20 years ago. I don't even remember where I got it. It had the letters LTD on a leather piece on the front of the bag It carries both of my DSLR's and 5 lenses. So when I go out, it goes with me. Larger lenses are carried separately I go by the motto that two is one and one is none, By having two cameras with me Murphy is kept at bay.

Now I am lusting after a K3 and KS-1. K3 would go in the bag, K5 would become my interval shooting camera. Something I have not done yet.. I want the KS-1 just because the camera has intrigued me since it was announced, I can see the KS-1 being a dynamite little DSLR with primes mounted on it. The photographs being posted on the KS-1 forum show it to be a very good performer.

Right now I drive all over New York State as part of my job and I take an MX-1 with me. I have only had it a few months, but I am really liking it and the articulating LCD display. Plus it's macro mode is awesome. I don't even mind that it has no viewfinder which is a big surprise to me, Maybe once in awhile an old dog can learn new tricks.

For you bugologists, here is a photo of a millipede that I took with the MX-1 last month.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
11-17-2014, 04:51 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I'm shooting sports I usually do (on a Black Rapid dual strap) but for landscapes or just shooting for myself I usually don't.
With sports shooting things can change so fast, or things are happening in quick succession that have different lens requirements (wide vs. long) that I consider it to be almost mandatory.
11-17-2014, 05:18 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I am shooting events (live music mainly) I always carry two bodies on a BlackRapid double shoulder sling, and frequently have my K-01 around my neck as well.